Around the League 18: Kovalchuk Employment Edition/Lavi, Gallant, & Ray Shero Unemployment Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Maybe I’m missing something but I’ve honestly seen better goals And don’t understand why this is so impressive all things considered. Not taking away anything just don’t see it as another level.
Watch a different replay, this one isn't that great. He basically isn't even looking at Rielly when he starts to stickhandle around him. It's one of the better fake moves I've ever seen. Then again, maybe that doesn't impress you just like the 2 Svech lacrosse goals didn't impress some people.

AeroFishOne

The Curriest of the Curry’s
Feb 5, 2010
Watch a different replay, this one isn't that great. He basically isn't even looking at Rielly when he starts to stickhandle around him. It's one of the better fake moves I've ever seen. Then again, maybe that doesn't impress you just like the 2 Svech lacrosse goals didn't impress some people.

I mean it’s a good move don’t get me wrong but I’ve seen better dekes than that and I’d venture to say from MCDAVID himself. The svech goals are completely different animals then taking on a defender or two and scoring so I don’t even compare them to that.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Connor McDavid's Goal against the Leafs was high end skill that not many players
in the NHL can do at anytime.
He did it with speed and 'slight of hand' against Morgan Reilly who is one of the best D-Men in the NHL. It's not a move one sees very often.Not only that but McDavid finishes the play witha nifty flick over Hutchison's glove side. Connor McDavid is the Best of the Best in the NHL today. He is absolute electric with his blazing speed and skill.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
There were a number of different impressive things in that goal. First, the fake was fantastic. Then, his footwork and puck handling to get around Rielly while still looking toward the center of the ice. Then the impressive acceleration after the fake and lastly, the ability to put the puck where he did while at speed in tight spaces.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Reilly is skating backward, gapped-up on McDavid at the top of the circle, doesn't lose his balance, go for a poke-check, or otherwise get his balance shifted incorrectly, yet McDavid is able to go around him for ostensibly a one-on-zero SOG. In other words, it's not like this was a result of Reilly misplaying McDavid...to me, it was NHL-quality defense, and McDavid went around it, unadulterated. One can imagine a Svech/Goat/Cole kind of bull-rush resulting in a SOG, but Reilly wasn't even able to put his hands on McDavid at any point.

Here how you prove this isn't impressive: give another example of someone doing that.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Toronto Sports Reporter has been around Pro Sports for around 30 years

steve simmons‏Verified account @simmonssteve 1h1 hour ago

The best individual goal I’ve ever seen live,
I thought, was Mario Lemieux’s playoff goal in Boston against Ray Bouque.
I watched it again last night when I got home Then I watched the McDavid goal again.
I think the McDavid goal is better.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Qj_5n5sW_bigger.jpg
The Oil Country Podcast‏ @OilCountryPod 14h14 hours ago

When
#McDavid undresses Morgan Reilly and chips it in for the goal
#LetsGoOilers
pic.twitter.com/5TjqrFXRy2
ENpVValU4AA9kR-.jpg

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Toronto Sports Reporter has been around Pro Sports for around 30 years

steve simmons‏Verified account @simmonssteve 1h1 hour ago

The best individual goal I’ve ever seen live,
I thought, was Mario Lemieux’s playoff goal in Boston against Ray Bouque.
I watched it again last night when I got home Then I watched the McDavid goal again.
I think the McDavid goal is better.

The difference is that Ray Bourque is one of the best defenseman at both ends of the ice in the history of the sport and Mario made him look like an ass clown. Granted it was the Bruins in the late 80s so he was probably at the end of a 7 minute shift.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Dang...............McDavid's quickness is at a whole different level!!
Morgan Reilly is an excellent skater.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Maybe I’m missing something but I’ve honestly seen better goals And don’t understand why this is so impressive all things considered. Not taking away anything just don’t see it as another level.

There were a number of different impressive things in that goal. First, the fake was fantastic. Then, his footwork and puck handling to get around Rielly while still looking toward the center of the ice. Then the impressive acceleration after the fake and lastly, the ability to put the puck where he did while at speed in tight spaces.

Morgan Reilly is one of the better skaters in the league and McDavid made him look like a parking cone. The most impressive thing is all the things mentioned above by BBA and it didn’t even look challenging to him.

It's a straight-up one-on-one, and Reilly didn't even *touch* McDavid or the puck. He had position and a good gap, and outside of a one-handed tap of the shin pad after McDavid had already cut to the net, Reilly couldn't even get a stick on him.

McDavid goes around the guy *untouched*. I have literally never seen that before. I can't put into words how absolutely impossible that is. I can't get around my kid without him at least getting a stick in my ribs.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Sometimes it feels like McDavid just decides the puck is going in the net and there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it. He is just incredible and I'm glad I get to watch him play.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's a straight-up one-on-one, and Reilly didn't even *touch* McDavid or the puck. He had position and a good gap, and outside of a one-handed tap of the shin pad after McDavid had already cut to the net, Reilly couldn't even get a stick on him.

McDavid goes around the guy *untouched*. I have literally never seen that before. I can't put into words how absolutely impossible that is. I can't get around my kid without him at least getting a stick in my ribs.
That’s the biggest thing to me. Reilly is a great skater and he couldn’t recover enough to even touch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad