Around the League '15-'16: PP Points Don't Count Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
I guess this fits here, but I have been thinking about how for expansion every team will have to expose 25% of their payroll. We don't know if that varies from team to team, or if it's $18.5M for everybody if the cap is $74M (no matter if you spend to it). For the Kings sake, let's say it's $18.5M because they will spend to the cap, whatever it is.

So how do they meet that criteria if Brown has to be protected?
Gaborik - $4.875M
Greene - $2.5M
Clifford - $1.6M
Nolan - $950K
----------------
Total: $9.925M

They can expose other guys like McNabb, Andreoff, Shore and Forbort, but only McNabb will draw have a seven-figure price tag after he gets a deal this summer.

You're forgetting King. Also Scuderi might count as $3 million which is his cap hit.

25% is met easily if Brown can be exposed. He doesn't have a NMC and the expansion draft is not a trade. I see no reason why a player who can be waived can't be selected in an expansion draft.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
You're forgetting King. Also Scuderi might count as $3 million which is his cap hit.

25% is met easily if Brown can be exposed. He doesn't have a NMC and the expansion draft is not a trade. I see no reason why a player who can be waived can't be selected in an expansion draft.

UFAs-to-be will count? RFAs I understand, but I suppose the team still owns the rights to the UFA in June which is when the draft will take place.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
UFAs-to-be will count? RFAs I understand, but I suppose the team still owns the rights to the UFA in June which is when the draft will take place.

If that's the case then the Kings will be fine. If it's not, you go back to my scenario. Forgot Pearson is a RFA that year so if he doesn't count then take him off of my "2 of" list.

scramble91

Jul 6, 2010

I think a lot of people are uncertain of what will happen. I think UFAs won't count

The interesting aspect... Is if they really consider AHL as being pro. That will leave a lot of talent unprotected across the league. For the Kings basically leaves forbort, gravel, brodisnski, kempe, dowd, mcdermid, etc:

It basically punishes the teams that want thier prospects to slowly develop in the minors.

Ducks would lose a pretty good prospect or player (dman).

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
UFAs will have to count, otherwise teams with lots of UFAs would be punished. UFAs just won't be selected.

Makes it quite a bit easier:
Gaborik - $4.875M
Greene - $2.5M
Clifford - $1.6M
Nolan - $950K
King - $1.9M
Scuderi - $1.125M (only counting the amount that the Kings are on the hook for, but you could be right that he would count for the full $3M)
----------------
Total: $12.95M

Plus, the small contracts of Andreoff, McNabb, Shore, Gravel and Forbort.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
I think they're going to have to expose two of Brown, Gaborik, Pearson, Martinez or Lucic (if -resigned) to meet that 25% minimum. If they absolutely want to keep Brown, Lucic will likely be the one exposed. Likely will have more years and more money in his contract than Brown so that could be a deterrent. There's a better chance he doesn't get claimed as opposed to guys like Martinez or Pearson.

Wait... What? :laugh:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Gaborik - $4.875M
Greene - $2.5M
Clifford - $1.6M
Nolan - $950K
King - $1.9M
Scuderi - $1.125M (only counting the amount that the Kings are on the hook for, but you could be right that he would count for the full $3M)
----------------

+ everyone else from the Reign that has 2+ years of experience. Number shouldn't be that hard to hit.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Gaborik - $4.875M
Greene - $2.5M
Clifford - $1.6M
Nolan - $950K
King - $1.9M
----------------

yup LA will be fine..especially considering brown could be available

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I will call and raise with playing SJ on the road. Sharks would be terrified.

Haha this. I would rather be the three seed than the two.

I also think Nashville is going to end up in a Central rather than WIld Card spot though.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
9th best ever goals per game? LOL not even good

Yeah I"m staying out of there for now because I have a busy afternoon :laugh:

Im just annoyed, as I posted in that thread, that most people that will vote DOughty don't give reasons why other than "it's time" and people voting for Karlsson are looking purely at points and REL advanced stats without looking deeper for defense. Both sets of voters are creating their own narratives and petulantly forcing them on everyone else (ugh, Yost).

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Yeah I"m staying out of there for now because I have a busy afternoon :laugh:

Im just annoyed, as I posted in that thread, that most people that will vote DOughty don't give reasons why other than "it's time" and people voting for Karlsson are looking purely at points and REL advanced stats without looking deeper for defense. Both sets of voters are creating their own narratives and petulantly forcing them on everyone else (ugh, Yost).

Where he isn't mentioned by name it's still a shot at his defense in this weeks 30 thoughts. And by someone that nobody can call a hack
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-clearing-expansion-draft-questions/
I’ve said it before, but I like watching Senators games, because they are full of chances at both ends. Great for fans, awful for coaches. It’s part of the problem. No matter who’s running the show next season, the players are going to have to show more commitment to defending.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Maybe dude is from the future and Brown wins the Art Ross next year.

Hell yeah!!! Brown finally rebounded. That slump was terrible. So glad it's over.

I want the Hawks in the first round. Rotating their 3D for a 7 game series against the Kings isn't going to work. That and Crawford is Toffoli's *****. Would be great to kick them out in the first round if NSH can catch them in the standings. Plus, Doughty will land that hit on that slippery little weasel next time.

The down side is Captain Hook McKeith will knock out another one of Carter's teeth.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
Hell yeah!!! Brown finally rebounded. That slump was terrible. So glad it's over.

I want the Hawks in the first round. Rotating their 3D for a 7 game series against the Kings isn't going to work. That and Crawford is Toffoli's *****. Would be great to kick them out in the first round if NSH can catch them in the standings. Plus, Doughty will land that hit on that slippery little weasel next time.

The down side is Captain Hook McKeith will knock out another one of Carter's teeth.

Nah, let's draw Colorado and send Patrick Roy into full-blown rage.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Maybe dude is from the future and Brown wins the Art Ross next year.

You guys really think they're going to dump Brown? I have a hard time seeing it, especially if they win a 3rd cup before then. Plus Brown will be about 30 or so games away from 1,000 in his career. Dean will keep Brown past that. Only way I see Brown gone is if the Kings lose in the first or second round this year and next.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
You guys really think they're going to dump Brown? I have a hard time seeing it, especially if they win a 3rd cup before then. Plus Brown will be about 30 or so games away from 1,000 in his career. Dean will keep Brown past that. Only way I see Brown gone is if the Kings lose in the first or second round this year and next.

I think Brown will be made available (if allowed) however will not be selected if there is only one expansion team...I even doubt if he gets taken if there's two.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
I think Brown will be made available (if allowed) however will not be selected if there is only one expansion team...I even doubt if he gets taken if there's two.

He'll almost certainly be made avail if they can. He's needed to reach that ~19M mark.
I still think he could be taken. Just because of what he brings in leadership and off the ice. But I agree he's likely not to be taken.

Sword

May 26, 2014
Just imagine the Kings facing the Hawks in round 1, it's unlikely, but with the Hawks playing bad lately, it could happen

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Just imagine the Kings facing the Hawks in round 1, it's unlikely, but with the Hawks playing bad lately, it could happen

That's why this team need to get to first in the conference. Then there is no worry of this.
They are only 4 points up on Nashville and Nashville hold a game in hand.
But it might be nice if this match-up did happen. I'm sure many would still find away of saying something if the Kings did win it all again. But having to go through Chicago first round, one of the other CA teams second round, then onto the Central winner. They would look like fools saying that was anything but a gauntlet to get to the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad