Around the League '15-'16: PP Points Don't Count Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
if 3 on 3 was in last year I wonder how different things would have been. LA could not win a SO to save their lives

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Great title. I love the flawed rhetoric by Doughty detractors. Its almost like Doughty's main assignment at ES is to shut down other teams star players and his main role on the PP is to score. Isn't context and thinking a crazy thing?

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
if 3 on 3 was in last year I wonder how different things would have been. LA could not win a SO to save their lives

It is crazy how our OT/SO record is insanely different this year vs last year... I have a hard time believing its just the 3vs3 instead of 4vs4 but what do i KNow.

And our PP is in the top 5? wtf. I cant even remember the last time it was this good.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Lmao there is a "Most overrated" thread and Quick's name keeps popping up. I thought he was below average on HF. How the **** is he overrated?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Soul on Ice- Past, Present and Future

premiered last night on NHL Network, I missed the first hour , but what I saw in the 2nd hour was terrific. I've always admired Willie O'Ree for what he went thru 1959 when he was a Bruin, and so well spoken, such a great ambassador for the game.
It showed the difficult path the African American players past and present went through.
Some great video of the youth programs dedicated to giving inner city kids a venue.

Follows the current path of Jaden Lindo, a forward for Owen Sound, as he pursues his dream of being drafted by an NHL team.

It's on again, I think, 7-9 pm on Sunday.

http://www.soulonicemovie.com/#!info/c10fk

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Great title. I love the flawed rhetoric by Doughty detractors. Its almost like Doughty's main assignment at ES is to shut down other teams star players and his main role on the PP is to score. Isn't context and thinking a crazy thing?

Being a 59% CF% and high relative to his team while being +15 and playing half every game with a boat anchor is decent but needs more raw numbers

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
It is crazy how our OT/SO record is insanely different this year vs last year... I have a hard time believing its just the 3vs3 instead of 4vs4 but what do i KNow.

And our PP is in the top 5? wtf. I cant even remember the last time it was this good.

I really believe last year was nothing more than a freakish anomaly. remember in like 2009 or 2010 where the Kings were 10-1 or something crazy in OT/SO games? I remember Stoll had a laser shot from the hash marks that almost ALWAYS went in. this year is closer to the average for sure

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I honestly wonder sometimes if they actually believe what they're typing

I mean, Quick sucks, Doughty sucks, Kopitar is average, and all three are overrated. It's a wonder the Kings are competitive since the team carries the guys playing the most minutes by far.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Doughty has more points on the PP already this year than he's had in any other year outside of 09-10. That year was his career high in goals, assists, and points, helped by a career high in PP goals, assists, and points. The Kings were in the top 10 on the PP in 09-10, and also in 2013. I guess they didn't have enough time to suck after the lockout?

A big deal has been made about Doughty just shooting the puck this year. Fewer fake shots, less dancing around. He just rips it more often from the point or on the LW side. It's what we've all been wanting to see for years. That, plus Kopitar getting more shots to the net, makes a big difference.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I mean, Quick sucks, Doughty sucks, Kopitar is average, and all three are overrated. It's a wonder the Kings are competitive since the team carries the guys playing the most minutes by far.
We're just a lucky team who lucked our way into 2 Cups and a WCF in-between. 2012 was too easy and every team we beat actually beat themselves. In 2014 the Kings lucked their way to the Cup once again. The Sharks, Ducks, Hawks and Rangers were all superior teams who were more deserving winners. The Rangers were actually so close to winning it all. If only they knew how to hold on to a lead and not lose in OT, the Cup would belong to them. Last year was the first time the true Kings showed up. They've been in hiding, getting lucky and faking it since 2010.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
We're just a lucky team who lucked our way into 2 Cups and a WCF in-between. 2012 was too easy and every team we beat actually beat themselves. In 2014 the Kings lucked their way to the Cup once again. The Sharks, Ducks, Hawks and Rangers were all superior teams who were more deserving winners. The Rangers were actually so close to winning it all. If only they knew how to hold on to a lead and not lose in OT, the Cup would belong to them. Last year was the first time the true Kings showed up. They've been in hiding, getting lucky and faking it since 2010.

actually, the Rangers lost because of the refs. not because they were outplayed 5 on 5, or because the best Rangers players didnt show up, or because they couldnt hold leads, or because the Kings essentially bullied the Rangers into making mistakes with physical play, it was all because of the REFS!!!

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Well that's all dependent on what the thread is! Quick is great in the Doughty/Kopi threads, Doughty is great in the Quick/Kopi threads, Quick/Doughty are great in the Kopi threads. But not in their own ones. Oh and their all just a product of the system. The fact that they are the three most contributing factors to the system? Irrelevant!

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Wasn't Vlasic on the Team Canada that rolled through everyone? Wasn't he even next to Doughty on the top pairing?

It's all so subjective and tribal. If Karlsson was Canadian, and Doughty was Swedish, everything would be the opposite. If Karlsson was a Panther, Senator fans wouldn't defend him. If Doughty wasn't a King, we wouldn't care about the debate.

Best, worst, top 10, top 20, there's no objective way of defining it. Some people don't consider Gretzky to be the best. Some say Orr. Some say Lemieux. Some say Howe.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
It all boils down to one thing - Doughty is a difference maker every single shift and has been the best defenseman on the best defensive team for years. Every night Doughty makes a huge play that prevents a scoring chance. How many times this season has he made a key dive to block a lateral pass on an odd man rush? It feels like he does that at least once a night. He's on pace for his best season ever and is getting better every season. He's a special player and I wouldn't trade him for any other defenseman on the planet. I feel privileged to watch him play every night.

Doughty has elite vision, hands, and legs. If he wanted to post monstrous numbers he absolutely could. However, that isn't is job nor would that help the Kings be the powerhouse defensive team they are. He should have won the Conn Smythe in 2014.

I don't think we've seen the best he can play and that's a scary thought.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Those comments about Quick/Doughty remind me so much of old threads about Brodeur/Niedermayer. My best advice is to enjoy the Cups and they'll get their individual accolades eventually.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Those comments about Quick/Doughty remind me so much of old threads about Brodeur/Niedermayer. My best advice is to enjoy the Cups and they'll get their individual accolades eventually.

That's some great perspective.

Just annoying that in an age where most things are quantifiable by data, great defense still sort of isn't, and that ultimately the team accolades that are used against the guys who play half of the game will hopefully become part of their legends.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The Kings are back to system success again. In the meantime:

-Karlsson gets another thread started about him.
-Doughty's overrated
-Quick's job is easy

The main board is such a trash heap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad