Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Over exposure to Kryptonite is my theory on what happened last year.

View attachment 139751

I saw a few posts on CP call him SuperMon based on this pic.

I thought it was clever because this pic does have Clark Kent boring Sean Monahan vibes and we know both guys transforms into a beast when asked to pick up the mantle of their calling.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

I thought it was clever because this pic does have Clark Kent boring Sean Monahan vibes and we know both guys transforms into a beast when asked to pick up the mantle of their calling.
What would be funny as hell, and kind of an inside joke, would be to have the Superman theme song played over the Dome speakers and this video shown on the scoreboard screen at the start of the first game of the season with SuperMon leading the Flames charge out onto the ice for the player introductions...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
China was no cake walk: New Flames coach cranks up intensity
The new boss doesn’t just demand sweat.

He drips it.

For many of the Calgary Flames’ go-to guys, their exhibition odyssey to Shenzhen and Beijing for the 2018 O.R.G. China Games also doubled as an introduction to the on-ice intensity level of head-coaching hire Bill Peters.

The 53-year-old runs a pacey practice.

In China, the proof was often trickling down his forehead.

“He’s on the ball, man,” said Flames captain Mark Giordano, whose weary crew returned home in the wee hours of Thursday morning. “He seems like he sees everything out there and is obviously really upbeat, up-tempo. I like it. If you put the practice in at that intensity, it really prepares you for the games.

"He’s enthusiastic, he likes to get a high-tempo practice going, and he’s real energetic,” assessed Flames superstar winger Johnny Gaudreau prior to Wednesday’s trip-capper at Cadillac Arena in Beijing. “It’s great. I like it. And if we’re not going, he lets us know already, and this is only Day 6 or Day 7.

“And then when he blows the whistle, he’s skating as fast as he can around the rink with us, as well. It’s great to see a coach that involved.”

Maybe I'm reading in-between the lines a little too much but it sounds like Peters is working the team harder and has more of their respect too

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Maybe I'm reading in-between the lines a little too much but it sounds like Peters is working the team harder and has more of their respect too

Pretty telling this one. Ol Gully was a pushover that didn’t push the boys.

This team needed a Peters type coach.

Reactions: snipetype

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Pretty telling this one. Ol Gully was a pushover that didn’t push the boys.

This team needed a Peters type coach.

I don't disagree that Gully's time here wasn't great and I don't disagree with your opinion, but I really don't think that we need to create a narrative that the failures of the Flames were due to the lack of try on Gully's part. I agree that Peters looks to be the guy we need.

Based on what I recall reading, the team did like Gully at first, but things changed over time as Gully did expect the team to do a lot of self management. However, this was a major problem for several reasons:

1. Gully teaches a system that is cycle based. Self management isn't great for a team well versed in rush style. That's like... telling tennis players to self teach to compete in squash/racquet ball because it's still racquets and a ball. It would perhaps work better on a vet team with lots of cycle experience, but on our roster, it was just bad. Peters seems like a guy who is playing the same game everyone is used to playing. Furthermore, requesting self management isn't a bad thing. For instance, there are anecdotes of the team telling Sutter to stay out and they'd handle it themselves because they liked it that way. Heck, the team figured out something in the middle of Gully's first season here after beers on a train. It can work. But things just weren't clicking right at all under Gully.

2. Gully was a player's coach. Hartley's falling out afterwards were due to rumored dislike of him by players ranging from public humiliation and calling out, singling out guys and tearing into them, being screamed at, psychological games, threats etc. It was night vs day between those two guys. Hartley would frequently bag skate and as such our roster could outwork the opposition on a regular basis (but the injuries stacked up). Gully? No such thing. He threw a stick and it was a situation I'd probably fight back giggles if I were there. The roster needed something in between which Peters seems to be which is encouraging.

3. Gully's system for a team that was playing uninspired was in my opinion actually impressive. 82-88-14 I believe was his record here over two seasons. But keep in mind the team completely folded in ways we haven't seen in a long time at the end of last season. Uninspired teams generally don't maintain around .500 ish. This leads me to believe that Gully will be a good coach one day, but that he is still too much of a greenhorn to take the reigns.

Gully was a bad fit. But there's seriously no reason at all IMO that we need to slag the dude in ways that aren't totally truthful for spite.

Reactions: Janks

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Gully's style was that of an assistant coach where they have the luxury of being the players' friend, e.g. a player's coach. That doesn't work when you are the head guy. When you're the head guy and bark, everyone, and I mean everyone (assistant coaches, players, trainers, and the equipment guys) need to sit up, take notice, and execute the orders. That doesn't mean the head guy barks all the time or doesn't crack a smile, joke around and even have fun with the guys. It means that there is only one boss and what he says goes. Gully lost the team and having to fling your stick was a desperation move to show he was in charge.

I didn't mind Hartley as a coach and was surprised when he got the heave-ho. As I said earlier (can't remember which thread), Peters brings elements of Darryl Sutter, Bob Hartley, and Glenn Gulutzan. More of the first two than Gully. That is step one in establishing an identity something we didn't really have since Sutter and Hartley. Once that is established - that we're hard to play against, we're fast, we're gritty, we transition well - the Flames will literally be off to the races.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

SuperMon, future captain of the Metropolis Flames

Metropolis.jpg

Reactions: Kipper933 and Fig

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Friendly Flames score new 7-year-old fan during trip to China

Gregory Shiu thought a hockey camp with Wayne Gretzky was going to be his highlight of the NHL's visit to China until a chance encounter with the Calgary Flames solidified his dream to be the first Chinese-born NHL player.

Shiu, 7, was so overwhelmed by the kindness of, "Captain Mark G, goalie Mike, Johnny Hockey, Curtis, Elias and Mr. Chuck who is (No.) 19 like me," he hand wrote a letter to the league to express how thankful he was to meet Flames Mark Giordano, Mike Smith, Johnny Gaudreau, Curtis Lazar, Elias Lindholm and Matthew Tkachuk.

Gregory attended a youth clinic with Gretzky and stayed in a hotel with his dad Jeffrey before attending the game between the Flames and Boston Bruins in Shenzhen the next day. They had no idea the Flames were staying in the same place until they saw them in the hotel restaurant.

Love this piece. Makes you proud to be a Flames fan

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Anyone else catch that segment on fan 960 with Peter Loubardias and Ryan Pinder previewing the Flames season ? Loubo basically stated as a fact that at the end of last season Dougie Hamilton disappeared for better part of a week after the last loss of the Season missing his exit interview, Flames we're unable to contact him during that time. Sheds a little more light as to why Dougie was traded.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Backs was the captain of Sweden and they won the Worlds. Clearly he’s a good and respected leader among his peers.

Tkachuk also oozes leadership. The guy is a winner, simply put. He hates losing maybe more than anyone else on the team. We want our other players, especially the younger guys to adopt this attitude.

I love these choices and think they are well deserved.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
**** yes.

There are some people here with some crow to eat. Please form an orderly line. You know who you are.
I still think Tkachuk with a letter could be a mistake because of his reputation. But we'll see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad