Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You're right. A lot of people mocked the idea that Monahan is a terrible leader, and today, in being stripped of a letter, we have proof that the outcry was justified.

giphy.gif

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I love the fact that Tkachuk got an "A". Winning is in his DNA and he won't accept anything less. I love a player who hates to lose. Tkachuk is the type of competitor that makes his teammates better. Future Captain material.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This isn’t recent news or anything, but I follow McGrattan on IG. I love that the Flames made this guy a key part of their organization and put him in the role of player assistance.

The Flames have a young team, and you need to look no further than Iginla’s comments on what kind of guy Big Ern is. He knows what being a teammate is, he knows how to fight battles on and off the ice. Honestly with how young our team is and so many of these kids become millionaires over night, kudos to the Flames for recognizing the importance of having a class act like him around to mentor the kids.

It didn’t really work out on the ice for Poirier, but he did get clean and that’s a major success on its own. Ferland is probably the prime of example of what kind of influence he can have. Drugs and alcohol are no different in today’s society than they were in the 80’s, but the awareness is much better today.

Grats’ passion away from the rink is fishing and coaching his son. I’ll forever be a huge fan of his.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
Have had to start looking at the reddit because apparently that can be a source for Flames insider news now, and had to share this.

Shaganappi has sponsored that step for quite a while too it looks like. The funny thing is she doesn't look like she's aged at all either.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The only thing he’s elite at is the second most valuable thing (behind goaltending) in the league, scoring goals. Yet still not appreciated league wide
There was a thread about teams that have a top end C, D and G and you look at the Flames trio and they are easily the most unappreciated in the NHL

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There was a thread about teams that have a top end C, D and G and you look at the Flames trio and they are easily the most unappreciated in the NHL

Eh.
Giordano is in that top 10 convo.

Monahan is in that top 25 convo.

Smith is in that 20-30 convo.

Not the greatest. When you compare it to teams like Tampa that have a top 5 in two categories and a top 10 in the other.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Eh.
Giordano is in that top 10 convo.

Monahan is in that top 25 convo.

Smith is in that 20-30 convo.

Not the greatest. When you compare it to teams like Tampa that have a top 5 in two categories and a top 10 in the other.
There is a difference between unappreciated and being the best... a large area.

But thanks for also proving my point. Suggesting Smith is a bottom 1/3 starter is downright laughable. Monahan never gets any credit, he's more than in the convo for top 25. All the guy does is produce and our own fanbase doesn't give him credit.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There is a difference between unappreciated and being the best... a large area.

But thanks for also proving my point. Suggesting Smith is a bottom 1/3 starter is downright laughable. Monahan never gets any credit, he's more than in the convo for top 25. All the guy does is produce and our own fanbase doesn't give him credit.

We’ve beaten this discussion to death, so I’m not playing your reindeer games today. Monahan is a scoring machine. Yes.
Monahan is not great at much else. Yes.

But that’s absolutely fine for how much he’s being paid and the fact we have a guy who can line drive on his LW. He also has shown year over year progress in terms of his defensive side, so it’s promising. But that doesn’t put him over guys who score at the same rate, can drive their lines and are good at both ends of the ice.

In terms of Smith. Yeah. In the Pacific alone he’s probably in the basement just on top of Markstrom. He looked promising, until his injury last year; but he gives me no confidence at all as a Stanley Cup winning goalie. So far this season his games stolen for our team versus his games lost for our team favours the bad side.

The only way you look at that C, D, G debate and think, f*** me, yeah, Calgary is near the top here; is if you’re isolated and not looking league wide. It’s probably top half, as we at least have one of each (same cannot be said about other teams), but it’s not one you step back and ask people to marvel in your presence.

Now if someone said rank teams based on overall team depth... I think we rank Calgary high. Top tier talent is still a gaping hole in Calgary.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Monahan does look like on another level this year from even last. His skating also looks like a strength now, really he’s a poorman’s Tavares.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We’ve beaten this discussion to death, so I’m not playing your reindeer games today. Monahan is a scoring machine. Yes.
Monahan is not great at much else. Yes.

But that’s absolutely fine for how much he’s being paid and the fact we have a guy who can line drive on his LW. He also has shown year over year progress in terms of his defensive side, so it’s promising. But that doesn’t put him over guys who score at the same rate, can drive their lines and are good at both ends of the ice.

In terms of Smith. Yeah. In the Pacific alone he’s probably in the basement just on top of Markstrom. He looked promising, until his injury last year; but he gives me no confidence at all as a Stanley Cup winning goalie. So far this season his games stolen for our team versus his games lost for our team favours the bad side.

The only way you look at that C, D, G debate and think, **** me, yeah, Calgary is near the top here; is if you’re isolated and not looking league wide. It’s probably top half, as we at least have one of each (same cannot be said about other teams), but it’s not one you step back and ask people to marvel in your presence.

Now if someone said rank teams based on overall team depth... I think we rank Calgary high. Top tier talent is still a gaping hole in Calgary.
Oh I get it dude, you have this terrible and incorrect opinion that Monahan plays defense like Kovalev, skates like Allison and drives his line like Brouwer. That he is the Rob Brown to Mario Lemieux.

You also apparently rank Talbot ahead of Smith... brilliant take.

Also, I never once said the Flames were at the top of the league... I said they were unappreciated. You sir, are a prime example of why they are.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don’t know, I agree with the Smith assessment. I’ve got him slightly better than the Elliott’s and Halak’s of the league. Probably in the same tier as Talbot and his numbers support that. At 36 years of age, it’s safe to say he’s mostly not improving anymore.

Reactions: Volica
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad