Around the Dome v3.0 - Flames news & notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Actually I chose to believe that it would be the opposite. ;)

Who's more likely to flaunt their bod... a 50 year old mother who's 25 lbs overweight with stretch marks and wrinkles everywhere... or a 22 year old babe that's in the prime of her life?

…. and please don't reply to this post. For the love of God let me be in peace with my dreams and fantasies.

I won't answer this, but I'll say this, it'll likely be the one pounding the big gulp.

Reactions: snipetype

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I won't answer this, but I'll say this, it'll likely be the one pounding the big gulp.
I can see that :thumbu:

wench-5.jpg

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm starting to better understand where you're coming from, but again if we're critically thinking it's fairly easy to interpret who this rule is affecting and why it's worded the way it is. With your understanding of what discrimination is, would having a rule of "No Turbans allowed" not qualify as it applies equally to all people? What about "Anybody with a tattoo won't be served here" because getting tattooed is a choice that anyone can make? Really don't think these concepts exist or are meant to exist in such black and white terms.
Well, I specifically mentioned that society makes an exception for religion (freedom of religion) in spite of it being a choice, because I guess we are not in universal agreement as a society that it is a choice. So the turban thing is definitely in the grey area.

As for a tattoo, again, you're hitting another grey area. I think that creating an establishment and saying "no tattoos" is allowed, but I'm not 100% sure. It'd definitely distinct from the smoking example given a tattoo cannot be removed as easily as a person can choose not to smoke for, say, an evening. I also think that no one like the Dome would do that because of the financial disaster it would cause.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, I specifically mentioned that society makes an exception for religion (freedom of religion) in spite of it being a choice, because I guess we are not in universal agreement as a society that it is a choice. So the turban thing is definitely in the grey area.

As for a tattoo, again, you're hitting another grey area. I think that creating an establishment and saying "no tattoos" is allowed, but I'm not 100% sure. It'd definitely distinct from the smoking example given a tattoo cannot be removed as easily as a person can choose not to smoke for, say, an evening. I also think that no one like the Dome would do that because of the financial disaster it would cause.
Tattoos are definitely different for the reasons you mentioned. But again, a tattoo does no harm to anyone else. Smoking areas can literally cause cancer to employees that have to work in therm. It's that simple and the moment you have a group of people outside in a designated area, you have to have security and have someone clean the area.

But as previously mentioned, the no re-entry policy is a security measure, the smoking aspect of that is just a by product of the security measure.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Ahh so a grey area exists for these instances, but not for a re-entry rule. Even though the language of the turban ban is not banning Sikhs(a defined group of people like you stipulated), but just a headdress anyone could choose to put on. When we begin thinking more in depth we can see who a rule like that would affect can we not? If your main stipulation for excluding a group from discrimination is that they have made a choice, then in the tattoo example that cannot be said to be discrimination even if there's well defined groups of tattooed vs the non-tattooed.

Security concerns.. please. If there were actually credible threats to an establishment's security by having a smoking area they would not of existed in the first place, or would have existed for a very short time. It's using a technicality to make it look like they're not targeting a certain group when they very obviously are.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If you feel like your freedoms are being trampled upon because re-entry is not allowed, you are free to not enter in the first place.
Exactly. Frankly smoking shouldn't be allowed anywhere on public property.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
“People didn’t even want me to start the season last year,” Monahan said. “Last year was brutal. I talked to my parents basically every day, my sister. My girlfriend’s at home with me every day – she knows what I go through. I had a lot of people who tried to tell me to stop. But at the end of the day we’re trying to fit in there for a playoff spot and I want to be a big part of this team. So that’s why you play.

“It was more the wrist that people close to me were worried about, telling me I probably shouldn’t play.”

To illustrate, he raises his left arm, the lumpy-looking wrist inscribed with stitch scars. Making a fist, thumb-side up, he indicates the radius bone and claims that last winter he could easily move it in and out of position. “And it wasn’t broken.”

Furthermore, Monahan couldn’t move his ring and pinky fingers – they stayed curled tight – so he needed to manually straighten them with his right hand so he could squeeze on his left glove.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This is from athletic but a post on cP. ( credit sureloss)

Monahan doing what he did last year (performance wise) is Wow given his above condition....

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Monahan's ready to make the a jump where the big dogs play. He's always been in that third tier of centre in the NHL; this is his year to jump into that second tier conversation. Time to go from 'low end' 1C to Elite or High end 1C.

It's crazy the amount of injuries he had.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
“People didn’t even want me to start the season last year,” Monahan said. “Last year was brutal. I talked to my parents basically every day, my sister. My girlfriend’s at home with me every day – she knows what I go through. I had a lot of people who tried to tell me to stop. But at the end of the day we’re trying to fit in there for a playoff spot and I want to be a big part of this team. So that’s why you play.

“It was more the wrist that people close to me were worried about, telling me I probably shouldn’t play.”

To illustrate, he raises his left arm, the lumpy-looking wrist inscribed with stitch scars. Making a fist, thumb-side up, he indicates the radius bone and claims that last winter he could easily move it in and out of position. “And it wasn’t broken.”

Furthermore, Monahan couldn’t move his ring and pinky fingers – they stayed curled tight – so he needed to manually straighten them with his right hand so he could squeeze on his left glove.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This is from athletic but a post on cP. ( credit sureloss)
Monahan doing what he did last year (performance wise) is Wow given his above condition....

I read the article and apparently the injuries extended beyond the start of last season. The article also mentions that Monahan's off season training was likely a culprit in creating issues if not also compounding injuries upon injuries. This includes things like skating very little during the summer, then going all out to get ready and rarely requesting the aid of the trainers for help for ailments until it was too late (I think it even mentions that Monahan played with a broken ankle from a Dennis Wideman clapper for about 6 days before finally getting help for it)

There was a ton of commentary from Lazar who mentioned that many of the others on the team were totally surprised by the injuries Monahan was dealing with. Like they could tell he had an ailment (heat packs, whatever), but not to the extent that his injuries needed so many surgeries because Mony hid it so well.

Mony claims in that article he's never felt better in the last 3 years or so. That bodes well for the coming season. I am curious to see his speed and effectiveness now that he has proper upper body, lower body and ability to properly use both arms and wrists. This on top of the fact Mony apparently slimmed down this season. I wonder if he will be skating a lot faster as well.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t believe at all that Monahan didn’t train properly at the beginning of last season. If anything he probably over trained.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don’t believe at all that Monahan didn’t train properly at the beginning of last season. If anything he probably over trained.

I didn't mean he didn't train at all, I meant that he was training incorrectly per his interview. Over training would be considered training incorrectly. Going into a pre-season needing maintenance days is another example of that.

Proper conditioning, too, was a mystery. And that, he feels, may have been the start of his groin issues.
“I don’t think it’s the skating – I think it was the off-ice stuff,” Monahan said. “As I kid, I never had a trainer. I never skated with any skating people. I never skated or worked out in the summer. I played hockey in the winter. When the season was over, I put my bag under the stairs, and I’d play lacrosse all summer. That’s just how it worked.”

Mony was apparently drafted at 178 pounds.

“I remember after Day 1, I was like, ‘Oh my god, I don’t know if I can do this,'” Monahan said. “But you grind through it. After that, I went home and did two-a-days for the rest of the summer. I wanted to make the team. I tried to gain weight and I did gain a lot of weight. I came to camp at 198.”

Everyone knows about the immediate success, 22 goals as a teenager. So if big was good, bigger must be better. He muscled up to 205 pounds. A well-meaning but misguided gambit.

Now, carrying 195 pounds on his six-foot-three frame, he’s noticeably slimmer. (Causing Curtis Lazar to jokingly wonder if one of Monahan’s offseason procedures had been liposuction.)

“I’ve leaned out a lot,” says No. 23. “This is probably the best shape I’ve been in. You always say that when you’re coming into a new season, but it really is true. I feel really good.

I think this part of the interview explains that even with some of the best trainers at their disposal, these guys make their own decisions. If Mony says this season is the best shape he has been in, that's a pretty huge claim IMO.

I seem to recall Bennett doing something similar to what is being revealed now about Monahan and showing up in his sophomore season noticeably bulkier, but it really screwed up his style for a bit. I think quite a few of us were chatting about it in threads. Gaudreau was also shown bulkier after his rookie season. Bulking up can help, but if done incorrectly, it can mess up the balance of an individual's rhythm, which requires more time to sort out and re-balance.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Well I’ve been noticing a trend in the last few years that quite a few guys are slimming down. This is likely all due to the fact that smalller players can play and have more success now than before due to how the game has changed. The number one thing in today’s game is speed.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I read the article and apparently the injuries extended beyond the start of last season. The article also mentions that Monahan's off season training was likely a culprit in creating issues if not also compounding injuries upon injuries. This includes things like skating very little during the summer, then going all out to get ready and rarely requesting the aid of the trainers for help for ailments until it was too late (I think it even mentions that Monahan played with a broken ankle from a Dennis Wideman clapper for about 6 days before finally getting help for it)

There was a ton of commentary from Lazar who mentioned that many of the others on the team were totally surprised by the injuries Monahan was dealing with. Like they could tell he had an ailment (heat packs, whatever), but not to the extent that his injuries needed so many surgeries because Mony hid it so well.

Mony claims in that article he's never felt better in the last 3 years or so. That bodes well for the coming season. I am curious to see his speed and effectiveness now that he has proper upper body, lower body and ability to properly use both arms and wrists. This on top of the fact Mony apparently slimmed down this season. I wonder if he will be skating a lot faster as well.
Over exposure to Kryptonite is my theory on what happened last year.

monahan.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad