Around the Dome II: Flames hockey-related news and notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
The jersey will likely not be a big departure from what we currently have.

Go on and surprise me Flames.

If it is going to be relatively the same, I hope they replace the flags with these as the shoulder patches.

1112-cgy13as.png

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, same logo would've been a better thing to caption it, was just disappointed it wasn't the white C :laugh:
As much as I wanted retro, or retro inspired jerseys, I knew that was a long shot when Chris Creamer said there would be no logo change (his site lists small alterations to the logo as changes).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
At the season ticket holder meeting, it sounds like King said the jerseys are "startlingly similar" to what we have now

My guess is this then:

Untitled-2_zpspfoqhqku.png

edit: I have no idea why that pic isn't working. It's the same jersey, minus the piping and rap under the arms.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I guess they are looking to minimize the number of new jerseys people will buy this year so citizens have more money to spend on an arena.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
At the season ticket holder meeting, it sounds like King said the jerseys are "startlingly similar" to what we have now

My guess is this then:

Untitled-2_zpspfoqhqku.png

edit: I have no idea why that pic isn't working. It's the same jersey, minus the piping and rap under the arms.

That is actually a tremendous improvement and brings them close to what we had before the Edge jerseys. Change the flags to what was on the thirds two years ago and you have one of the better jerseys in the league. Simple and elegant.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I read in a thread on CP that Poirier went to a treatment centre for substance abuse, completed, came out completely different and is doing fantastic.

Good news.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Why would adidas buy the rights to produce NHL jerseys for millions and not make significant changes? It makes zero sense.

Because Adidas has to follow each franchises branding guidelines, and it's the franchise that gets the final say at the end of the day. The Flames could opt for a very different design, or one with only minor tweaks.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Some more tidbits from the season ticket holders meeting from CP:
- Treliving was asked about Backlund and said he was probably the best choice for team MVP last season. But, better than that, is what a great person Backlund is. His charity work is well known, but Treliving told a story about how the players get provided meals after each game. Well, one game Treliving stayed late and dropped into the dressing room and saw Backlund packing all the leftovers and unused food into takeout boxes and joked that they weren't paying him enough for him to feed himself at home. Turns out Backlund does this after each home game and makes a stop at the Drop-in Centre on his way home to drop off the unused food. What a terrific person Backlund is.
- Asked whether the priority was a #4 defenceman or a first-line RW: Of those, the #4 defenceman would take priority, but #1 priority is a starting goaltender. Mentioned that Gaudreau and Monahan have had terrific success as youngsters with a rotating cast of RWers so why spend big money there. Mentioned Ferland as someone who he thought meshed well with them.
- Doesn't think the Flames make the playoffs without Michael Stone. Joked that in contract negotiations, Stone/agent have brought up the 10-game winning streak that happened as soon as the Flames acquired him. Obviously a joke but read into "contract negotiations" if you will.
- Once the protection lists are released, Treliving will be all over Vegas on inquiring about trades where Vegas would draft a player from another team then flip them. Imagines every GM will be burning through batteries during that time.
- Lazar oozes character and leadership; can play all three forward positions in any role. Sees him as a utility player for 10+ seasons with the Flames. As mentioned many times, Lazar will be better than the player they picked in the second round.
- No superstars in the draft, but the draft has been beat-down so much it's now under-rated. Still solid players to be had who will become all-stars - just a matter of identifying them.
- Stockton was the second youngest team in the AHL and they intend to keep it a young team. Some AHL teams try to win, while the Flames' intention is to develop. Would rather a 20-year-old lose a key faceoff and get scored on than a 28-year-old journeyman win the draw and clear the puck. The youngster will learn and get better as a result. The Heat may struggle against the older teams as a result, but that's fine because they only want players on the Heat who they think could play for the Flames one day.

There's a fairly intense obsession (at least among the fan base) with the top line right wing spot to point of blowing up the rest of the roster to fill it so it's encouraging to see Treliving is smarter than that. In a cap world Ferland is more than acceptable on the top line, especially when there's a Backlund/Bennett/Tkachuk/Frolik making significant dollars behind them.

And hopefully the Flames re-sign Backlund as soon as they can. He deserves an "A" without question.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Guarantee this team never goes anywhere without at least a 50 point player on top RW.

I can't see how Treliving thinks that they're fine. Gaudreau will continue to get man handled until they put a legitimate threat on his other wing. I guess if you think Gaudreau being a 60-70 point player is good enough then they're "fine". He has the potential to be so much more than that. Just look how he plays in international competition when he's got legitimate line mates.

Hopefully he's just not showing his hand.

If Ferland plays like he did for that month where he lit it up consistently he could be that 50 point guy. I just don't think that will happen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Guarantee this team never goes anywhere without at least a 50 point player on top RW.

I can't see how Treliving thinks that they're fine. Gaudreau will continue to get man handled until they put a legitimate threat on his other wing. I guess if you think Gaudreau being a 60-70 point player is good enough then they're "fine". He has the potential to be so much more than that. Just look how he plays in international competition when he's got legitimate line mates.

Hopefully he's just not showing his hand.

If Ferland plays like he did for that month where he lit it up consistently he could be that 50 point guy. I just don't think that will happen.

The key is that in a cap world, you just can't afford the luxury of having your top line be all guys who are top line players in their own right.

Think of all the recent Cup champs and who they had on their top lines. Usually it's one or two line drivers and a 'gel' piece who isn't a first-liner in their own right. And that's because you can't win a Cup by winning one line matchup out of four.

Gaudreau had a real down year last year, and it's unclear how much we should read into it. No doubt we're in trouble if that's his more "true" level of play that we can expect going forward. However, if he can get back to his play from the season prior and be more of an offensive threat every shift, then Treliving's vision is a good one. Let those two stars drive the line and let our resources be put towards shoring up everywhere else.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Yeah I get that it's really hard hole to fill and although I'd be disappointed, I'd come around to seeing how Ferland can do in that spot for a season and re-evaluating as we go.

I just think besides some how getting Price or finding the next Kipper, no change would have more of an impact on the success of this team then having a bonafide top winger on the same line as Gaudreau and Monahan.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
In terms of the top line, we can paper over the cracks with Ferland as RW for the time being. It's scoring depth that we need more of because our bottom 6 does not provide enough of that to make us a top team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad