Around the Dome 4 - Even More Flames News and Notes

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Cole Schwindt recalled today.

Pretty amazing the opportunities the kids are getting. I'm really enjoying this. Even if we sneak into the playoffs or not. As much as I dream of getting a lottery pick, I've still enjoyed this season to an extent. The hard work, the energy, the don't give up attitude.. We've played quite well for awhile now. A couple of games go our way and if we had a 5-5 start to the season we'd definitely be trending in the playoffs. I know some of us don't want that, but even if we got a top 10 draft pick, that player might not be ready for 2 years. In a perfect world, I'm cheering the Flames to make the playoffs or if we're not going to, completely shit the bed. Not sure which of them we're closer to.

After all, the 2004 run we had Iginla and Kipper going God mode. We had a lot of players that definitely were not even B caliber players who just had chemistry at the right time. Everyone assumed we'd be out in the first round but those guys never quit. I know we don't have an Iginla on this team anymore, but the energy of the youth, the commitment that Coleman's giving, the improvement of Markstrom. Potentially having Kylington and Pelletier back. Who the hell knows what can happen.
That's why we play the playoffs.
It's been a polarizing season, most of the time I'm cheering for wins, and then when we lose I'm also thinking, well hey that's not so bad.
All depends on what management wants to do with our UFA's. What an interesting season.
I have no idea what's coming next.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like Schwindt, but he's not ready IMO. I'd have preferred Hunt coming back up.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
After all, the 2004 run we had Iginla and Kipper going God mode. We had a lot of players that definitely were not even B caliber players who just had chemistry at the right time. Everyone assumed we'd be out in the first round but those guys never quit. I know we don't have an Iginla on this team anymore, but the energy of the youth, the commitment that Coleman's giving, the improvement of Markstrom. Potentially having Kylington and Pelletier back. Who the hell knows what can happen.
That's why we play the playoffs.

Clinging onto the 2004 run is why this franchise is in the position its in. Markstrom will never be what Kipper was, we have nobody on Iggy's level now or in the pipeline and the league is different. We need to build a team that can win instead of a team that can just get in then hoping they can perform above expectations. Also, that team lost in the finals. If you want to recreate something you can at least try a team that won.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like Schwindt, but he's not ready IMO. I'd have preferred Hunt coming back up.

I think your reasoning is why I'd rather Schwindt have 2-3 games to see what level he has to reach vs giving Hunt another 2-3 games. Development reasons.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Clinging onto the 2004 run is why this franchise is in the position its in. Markstrom will never be what Kipper was, we have nobody on Iggy's level now or in the pipeline and the league is different. We need to build a team that can win instead of a team that can just get in then hoping they can perform above expectations. Also, that team lost in the finals. If you want to recreate something you can at least try a team that won.
Trust me, I get it. Been a fan since 1980. I want nothing but success. All I was getting at is the fact that there's 16 teams all with one goal when they get into the playoffs and you see it year in and year out. Some players have that next gear, some don't. Who knows what can happen.
And I'm really not clinging onto 04, I just brought it up because that was a bunch of guys where chemistry worked out well.
Anyways, I'm all for getting a lottery pick and I'm all for having successful seasons. I'm sick of the mediocrity as well. For some reason this team has given me a reason to cheer. There's been some nice surprises. Until we tear it down, we are who we are.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think your reasoning is why I'd rather Schwindt have 2-3 games to see what level he has to reach vs giving Hunt another 2-3 games. Development reasons.
That's fair, but Schwindt isn't a great AHLer, and he's seen the NHL with the Panthers before he was traded here.

Reactions: Fig

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Do we have numbers for the new guys yet?
Monday (practice) featured the return to the Flames of three somewhat familiar faces, as well as the debuts of two completely new faces.
  • Andrei Kuzmenko, acquired in the Elias Lindholm trade, made his debut wearing #96.
  • Brayden Pachal, claimed on waivers on Sunday, made his debut wearing #94.
  • Jakob Pelletier, who was injured in training camp, returned wearing #22.
  • Kevin Rooney, who was also injured in training camp, returned wearing #21.
  • Cole Schwindt, who was sent down to the AHL prior to the All-Star break, returned wearing #79.
Kuzmenko and Pachal will each be the first players in franchise history to wear those numbers in a game.

Reactions: Boomstick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn't be shocked if Schwindt or Duehr was sent back to the AHL in a couple days for Coronato, as I think the Flames wanted Coronato to experience the AHL all-star weekend on Sunday on Monday.

Reactions: SaintMorose

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Jones has probably earned a look over Schwindt, Duehr, Rooney at this point but between his size and being waiver eligible it probably means only a 4th line spot is open and 1 or 2 of these guys will be sent down in 1-2 games making the waiver process not worthwhile (unless getting rid of Rooney's contract).

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

The groundwork for the new arena is officially underway.

The City of Calgary's project lead for the event centre, Bob Hunter, says contractor crews have started the "infrastructure enabling" process.

"And that is the relocation of utilities, waterworks, underground services, all of the things that now exist on Fifth Street, which will be relocated over to what will be the new street, 5A," he said.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad