Around the Dome 4 - Even More Flames News and Notes

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Forget the even strength lines, they need to start with the basics and look like an NHL team when they have a powerplay.

I don’t understand how they can be so limp with the man advantage.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sure, but how much does a system change the fact that our team lacks speed up front, or that huby-lindholm are just players stylistically that don’t match up?
They actually would probably be brilliant together with the right 3rd. Monahan and Lindholm had no issue playing together because they had Gaudreau to carry the puck. Huby also worked well with Duclair, because they had a 3rd to carry the puck. In the future that could be Coronato or Pelletier but Coronato is just not ready yet and Pelletier as we know is on IR.

I'd also point out that taking the reigns off guys in the offensive zone and suddenly asking them to be more creative after multiple years of having their creativity stifled isn't going to have that ability come back over night.

I'd actually like to see what happens if we put Backlund between them on the top line.

And speed is comes more from style, you pass faster than you skate, that's how you become a faster team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Some pics of the boys in their HC gear from the Flames twitter and Steinberg's twitter

F9kWtr-aAAACyRd

F9kWtsAagAA3lyx

F9kbdGFaEAAw_DE

F9kRWexbsAAJevj

F9kRWexbIAAcpQb

Reactions: deleted user

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not gonna post teh videos because there is a few, but on teh Flames website there are vids of Vlady & Weegs mic'd up, Family skate video, mostly Coleman and Z... as pre-game primer and Weegs/Coleman media availability

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Omg. Barn Burner today, just listening now. Brutal.
I don't listen but everyone, everywhere is overreacting. We've played 9 games, 4 without our top defenseman. A defenseman who is also the PP QB and loves to carry the puck.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

What the f*** is Huska doing?

Deer in headlights. Just dicking around the lines every game so there is no chance of establishing chemistry. Coronato as the 4th line centre? Zary at RW?

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't care what position Coronato plays but he should be on the top line.
Dube should be a healthy scratch.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't care what position Coronato plays but he should be on the top line.
Dube should be a healthy scratch.
Coronato gets overwhelmed massively on the top line. He's not ready. He needs to be in a position to succeed, which is bottom 6 with PP time. It's not like our 4th line is toothless, Duehr has some offensive skills and was a top liner in the AHL with Pelts and Phillips and produced well.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

What the f*** is Huska doing?

Deer in headlights. Just dicking around the lines every game so there is no chance of establishing chemistry. Coronato as the 4th line centre? Zary at RW?

On one hand Greer and Duehr only about the only forwards to consistently give an effort on the other I don't see how their game fits with Coronato at all.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Coronato gets overwhelmed massively on the top line. He's not ready. He needs to be in a position to succeed, which is bottom 6 with PP time. It's not like our 4th line is toothless, Duehr has some offensive skills and was a top liner in the AHL with Pelts and Phillips and produced well.
Well, sure, we can even split hairs on what line is the top line. I'm really saying he should be playing with Kadri, not 8 mins 5v5 with Greer and Duehr.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, sure, we can even split hairs on what line is the top line. I'm really saying he should be playing with Kadri, not 8 mins 5v5 with Greer and Duehr.
I'd be fine with that, but we also have to remember this kid played 30-40 game seasons the past 2 seasons, and hasn't played more than 60 games before. So a game or two with lower ice-time might not be the worst thing, especially if they're trying him at C

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If I'm reading this correctly, we are pretty good at getting into the offensive zone/staying there but can't do shit with the puck once we're in it.

Sounds about right.

It also says we're whiffing muffins on net and skating around slowly while maintaining control of the puck on a regular basis... so we're a group of slow motion ozone replays?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
We're skating more distance, that will affect your top speed.

I'm confused. I thought the stats are saying we're skating less distance which is good, with a decent top speed, but league low acceleration.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm confused. I thought the stats are saying we're skating less distance which is good, with a decent top speed, but league low acceleration.
my bad, I thought this was still the Huberdeau #s comparing his first year hear to last in Florida... with people I have ignored, I'm not seeing every post lol

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
my bad, I thought this was still the Huberdeau #s comparing his first year hear to last in Florida... with people I have ignored, I'm not seeing every post lol

:laugh:

That's one hell of a comparison to the combined team stats of the 2023-2024 Calgary Flames. We're talking about this:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad