Around Hockey XV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbjfaninmo

4 those about 2 rock
Mar 17, 2012
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
We were clearly in play for another big player at the deadline. The choice was made to move Gaborik and his salary so we could fit someone else in as it got closer to the deadline. If we didn't move Gabby to LA when we did, they would have moved on and we had no other takers. If we kept him on the roster, we couldn't have even been in conversations about another player because we had no cap space.

The gamble was to move Gaborik and not make a trade later vs. keep Gaborik a few hours longer and maybe not move him if we needed to.

He was clearly not healthy when we had him. He got healthy.

This is a likely scenario and one that I agree with. Gabby is gone and playing well for the Kings. Good luck, Gabby. Time to march on.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
We were clearly in play for another big player at the deadline. The choice was made to move Gaborik and his salary so we could fit someone else in as it got closer to the deadline. If we didn't move Gabby to LA when we did, they would have moved on and we had no other takers. If we kept him on the roster, we couldn't have even been in conversations about another player because we had no cap space.

The gamble was to move Gaborik and not make a trade later vs. keep Gaborik a few hours longer and maybe not move him if we needed to.

He was clearly not healthy when we had him. He got healthy.

Not sure which trade happened first but the rumors were Columbus and San Jose were the backup options for New York regarding a Callahan trade. I wonder if he was the "big name" player they were after.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Boy I really wish we had kept Marion Gaborik. He's the difference maker Columbus needed.

Side "For" = no :sarcasm:

Side "Against" = :sarcasm:

Just want you all to like me or hate me...

This debate is old but I'm going to play along every time it's brought up. It can't be won be either side and there is no argument to make the other side change their mind. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Boy I really wish we had kept Marion Gaborik. He's the difference maker Columbus needed.

I understand why they traded him, and I understand the urge to trade him. However, they just gave him away for free basically (at this moment.) They had no intention on giving Frattin a chance, and the picks are in a shallow draft. I would have held onto him if that was the best they could do.

However again, they did speak alot of the chemistry and the love the players had all year round for each other in JK and Richards post season conferences. It's pretty clear if that's the case, then Gaborik didn't feel the same way for his teammates.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Just want you all to like me or hate me...

This debate is old but I'm going to play along every time it's brought up. It can't be won be either side and there is no argument to make the other side change their mind. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one.

9 goals has thoroughly changed my mind. I thought he was permanently dinged up, perhaps Jarmo thought the same.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Beyond the Gabby debate, the play of Price and Lundquist clearly shows that the elevated play of a goalie can make a big, big difference in a 7 game series. And we did not get that kind of play from Bob against the Pens. When all is said and done, I think Bob's play was the reason we lost to the Pens while Lundquist's play was the reason the Rags beat the Pens.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I understand why they traded him, and I understand the urge to trade him. However, they just gave him away for free basically (at this moment.) They had no intention on giving Frattin a chance, and the picks are in a shallow draft. I would have held onto him if that was the best they could do.

However again, they did speak alot of the chemistry and the love the players had all year round for each other in JK and Richards post season conferences. It's pretty clear if that's the case, then Gaborik didn't feel the same way for his teammates.

Gaborik has played very well in the playoffs. He's one of my favorite players since the fateful day the coin flip determined the Wild would pick ahead of us in the draft. I had no problem with the CBJ trading him given the circumstances at the time (expiring contract, injured and did not look good on the ice with the CBJ this year). No doubt he's a top line player.

The only problem I have with this debate is for either side to say what would have happened had he stayed with the CBJ rather than move. The team was playing well without him and he was not playing well after injury. To see what he is doing now and be convinced the same would be true in Columbus is crazy. Frattin was not a target but a contract to move and to say otherwise is crazy. The only team to get what looks to be good return is Tampa in the MSL deal.

I'd love it if he would have stayed but I'm still OK with them moving him. I also have to think the CBJ were trying to get another player to help the team but they weren't going to get an expiring contract for any key assets.

I don't discount anyone's opinion but I can't buy in to those who are so determined to try to convince anyone what is happening in LA would be happening in Columbus. Wanting the chance to see what would have happened? Absolutely no problem with that thinking.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Us: "Hey GM can you hurry up and let us know if you'll take our deal for Callahan or Kesler?"

GM: "No. We'll take our time."

-- two minutes later --

Us: "Hey Lombardi, do you mind if you wait another 4 hours before we let you know about Gaborik?"

Lombardi: "No. If not now we are moving on to another deal... Didn't you see Gaborik's last 5 games? We are the ONLY team willing to take him."

Glad Gaborik is playing well. Really annoyed Nash and Brassard keep moving on.

If JK and JD knew for a fact that they wouldn't get another player, I'd bet they would have kept Gaborik.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
The only problem I have with this debate is for either side to say what would have happened had he stayed with the CBJ rather than move. The team was playing well without him and he was not playing well after injury. To see what he is doing now and be convinced the same would be true in Columbus is crazy. Frattin was not a target but a contract to move and to say otherwise is crazy. The only team to get what looks to be good return is Tampa in the MSL deal.

I'd love it if he would have stayed but I'm still OK with them moving him. I also have to think the CBJ were trying to get another player to help the team but they weren't going to get an expiring contract for any key assets.

I don't discount anyone's opinion but I can't buy in to those who are so determined to try to convince anyone what is happening in LA would be happening in Columbus. Wanting the chance to see what would have happened? Absolutely no problem with that thinking.

This isn't saying that we should have kept Beauchemin/Glencross. Gaborik was a contributor just fine before he had that surgery.

I get angier and angrier seeing how perfectly the stars seem to have aligned for us. If only we were just a little better, I don't think it's a stretch to say we'd have a decent shot at making the cup finals.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't discount anyone's opinion but I can't buy in to those who are so determined to try to convince anyone what is happening in LA would be happening in Columbus.

Or anyone trying to suggest it wouldn't have happened in Columbus. Or the whole we weren't contenders anyway do no great loss.

Wanting the chance to see what would have happened? Absolutely no problem with that thinking.

This. Greater value than the trade return, IMO.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Seriously man, the stars aligned for us so well. The Habs are so bad Rick Nash scored against them. Let that sink in for a minute....

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I get angier and angrier seeing how perfectly the stars seem to have aligned for us. If only we were just a little better, I don't think it's a stretch to say we'd have a decent shot at making the cup finals.

I even think that Dallas making the finals against Columbus would have been the perfect opportunity for cup glory given how poor Anaheim played against Los Angeles in the last encounter.

Somehow I have hard time seeing Johnson and Dubinsky fighting for who gets to lift the cup at the end of this season. Bit early for the team led by Johansen, Murray and Bobrovski too. Might have to do bit more than just dealing Gaborik in or out to get there.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
This isn't saying that we should have kept Beauchemin/Glencross. Gaborik was a contributor just fine before he had that surgery.

I've often seen it said that Gaborik "didn't fit" with the Jackets. At Dark Blue Jacket, Gallos actually provides an attempt to explain it in terms of style of play, rather than just based on personality:

"But as I watched them dismembering Anaheim last night, I noticed that it was with a quick strike, stretch game. Anaheim was trying to get in on the forecheck like the CBJ like to play, and Drew Doughty, arguably one of the best defensemen in the game, was shredding them with lightning quick stretch passes to breaking forwards. That is Gaborik's game, but it is unwise to think that the CBJ have the same capacity to play that game, especially in a playoff environment. When the CBJ are throwing stretch passes up the ice, they are playing another team's game, and likely losing. They have gotten away from their identity. LA has the talent and experience to change up to that kind of game if that's what the situation demands. They also have the experience and talent to out-grind you if that's what the situation demands. They are a very versatile team, and Coach Darryl Sutter does a masterful job with their line up."

Don't know if I fully agree, but it at least provides more to think about. Here's the full article:

http://darkbluejacket.blogspot.com

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think the article makes some good points both as to why he is doing better in LA and as to what he did bring to this team (the Arty part).

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
Can't believe the Rangers might be the team representing the East. If not for one damn player on their team, they'd have probably been a first round exit, but of course they have to have the best damn goalie on the face of this planet. The West is going to destroy the East this year in the cup finals, maybe even 4-0.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Can't believe the Rangers might be the team representing the East. If not for one damn player on their team, they'd have probably been a first round exit, but of course they have to have the best damn goalie on the face of this planet. The West is going to destroy the East this year in the cup finals, maybe even 4-0.

Just like Pitt-Boston was a slam dunk to be in the East final? :sarcasm:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I would hate to see the Rags get to the SC Finals because the team that comes out of the West could be beat up pretty badly and not have the energy to beat King Henrik. Please don't let that happen. I now hate the Rags more than I hate the Dallas Cowboys (who have been my most hated team for 40 years) and that is saying a lot.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think the article makes some good points both as to why he is doing better in LA and as to what he did bring to this team (the Arty part).

Agree with your take on the article and why I also thought he could be doing well with your Avatar team.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I'm all in for the Rangers vs the Kings.... besides liking both teams anyway I think the combined rosters would have close to 10 ex Blue Jackets...

I also like the Hawks and Montreal too... What a final four...awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad