Around Hockey XIX (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm glad the Ducks won, and not because I have any affinity for that franchise at all. The Ducks might be the club about which I have the least opinion in the entire league. But I was glad to see the Oil go out, despite the fact that the most interesting finals from a storyline perspective would probably have been McDavid v Crosby (yes despite the fact that everyone hates the Pens).

Most of you know I grew up in Pittsburgh, so while the Pens are hated when they match up with the CBJ, I can't help but fall back into long-established rooting interests. I like the Sens, generally, too, so they'd be my third choice moving forward. I adopted the Preds during their expansion season, and then had family move there a couple years later. They are choice two, although, while I hold no ill will toward any former Jacket who plays in Nashville, it would be a little painful to see such a player, if he exists, lift the Cup.

tl;dr

Pens
Preds
Sens
Ducks

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm glad the Ducks won, and not because I have any affinity for that franchise at all. The Ducks might be the club about which I have the least opinion in the entire league. But I was glad to see the Oil go out, despite the fact that the most interesting finals from a storyline perspective would probably have been McDavid v Crosby (yes despite the fact that everyone hates the Pens).

Most of you know I grew up in Pittsburgh, so while the Pens are hated when they match up with the CBJ, I can't help but fall back into long-established rooting interests. I like the Sens, generally, too, so they'd be my third choice moving forward. I adopted the Preds during their expansion season, and then had family move there a couple years later. They are choice two, although, while I hold no ill will toward any former Jacket who plays in Nashville, it would be a little painful to see such a player, if he exists, lift the Cup.

tl;dr

Pens
Preds
Sens
Ducks

Preds
Preds
Preds
Preds
Preds
Sens
Preds
Ducks
Preds
Preds
Preds
Nobody
Cup never awarded again
Pens

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Sens
Ducks
Cup never awarded again
Preds
Cup destroyed, league abolished, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton co-found new professional hockey league
Pens

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Does letting Oshie and Williams leave via FA give them enough dough to re-sign Kuznetsov and Burakovsky (I know they're both RFA)? On the surface, that's what I'd be looking for. However, the team may have more of a take-stock, what's our window approach. Most expect Grubauer is going to Vegas.

Currently, the Caps have just under $50m in cap hits allocated to 10 players - Ovechkin, Niskanen, and Backstrom all have some form of NTC/NMC. Holtby is obviously staying. The rest are Orpik (probably the worst contract on their books), Carlson, Eller, Johansson, Wilson, and Beagle.

So if a roster is 22-23 players, and the cap is going to be $75-$76m, they have about $25m to allocate to 12-13 players.

Have fun with that.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Does letting Oshie and Williams leave via FA give them enough dough to re-sign Kuznetsov and Burakovsky (I know they're both RFA)? On the surface, that's what I'd be looking for. However, the team may have more of a take-stock, what's our window approach. Most expect Grubauer is going to Vegas.

I believe that teams must make available a goalie that is signed beyond July 1st and has played in (specified number) of regular season games in the past (specified time) year(s). That is why Columbus waived McElheny. He was not going to be resigned, so he had the games played, but not the contract status. Korpisalo and Forsberg both had the contract status, but not the games played.

Okay.....let me look this up.....

Player Exposure Requirements
* All Clubs must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the Expansion Draft:

iii) One goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent at the expiration of his current contract immediately prior to 2017-18. If the club elects to make a restricted free agent goaltender available in order to meet this requirement, that goaltender must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the club's protected list.

Okay.....so all Washington has to do is give Grubauer his qualifying offer. There is a games played requirement for skaters, but I didn't see one for goalies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
After watching the Pens in game 6, it looked like the injuries had taken their toll. They played with zero energy. I was pretty convinced that the tank was on "E". Fleury was gawd awful in game 6 and the combination of apparent fatigue and fleuryitis looked like the Caps had a huge advantage for game 7-in addition to home ice.

But the Caps are the Caps. And these are the playoffs.

Looking forward to the Johansen/Getzlaf match up in the WCF. Getzlaf has 114 points in 115 career playoff games. He is 8-7=15 points in 11 games this season. #92 is going to have to play the series of his life if he is to hang with Getzlaf.

Hoping for a Pens/Predators final. Like Kessel and I've gotta root for Fleury. #92 and Bitetto (nice kid who I talked to at length one time when he was in the ECHL) make the Preds my rooting interest in the Ducks/Preds Series.

Last edited:

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
If I were to have envisioned the worst possible scenario for the teams in the conference finals, it would have looked like what we have, just with the Oilers winning last night.

Thankfully the Oilers didn't win, but now I really don't want any of those teams to win.

P.S. my perfect world would have had Jackets-Habs and Blackhawks/Blues-Sharks, if anyone was curious. That's clearly not a real place though.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
As much as I hate to admit this, given how Pens fans have absolutely crapped on Fleury over the years (admittedly, sometimes he's deserved it), him winning a cup this year would be a very nice story that I wouldn't mind seeing.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Okay.....so all Washington has to do is give Grubauer his qualifying offer. There is a games played requirement for skaters, but I didn't see one for goalies.

Just going by what I've read. Haven't done the math myself but assuming that those who are hypothesizing Grubauer to Vegas have (admittedly a potential stumbling block).

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Just going by what I've read. Haven't done the math myself but assuming that those who are hypothesizing Grubauer to Vegas have (admittedly a potential stumbling block).

Here are the requirements:

Must expose 1 goalie who is:

under contract in 2017-18, OR
who’s contract is expiring & is an RFA in 2017-18

Grubauer already meets the requirements without a QO. I doubt Washington cares since they have Samsonov in the pipeline.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Ducks over Sens.. don't care for either team but it is better then what I think will happen Preds vs. Pens will be painful.

So this mornings sports radio was all about the loss being Ovechkin's fault (goal 2 clearly was). Not the Caps as a team just AO's fault. I don't know why but I found that kind of sad. Maybe he would want to play RW with his buddy Sergei? His heavy style fits here so does the fact that some of our players won't shoot the puck (just kidding of course) Wenny could pass it over all the time & his assists would go up cause AO puts the puck on net. Gifted.. to expensive to be a Jacket but gifted for sure.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We really need a good, consistent back up.

NHL now just had a segment showing a trend the last 15 years goalies who played 60+ games aren't making it to the conference finals. Rinne is the only exception this year.

Ducks, Pens and Sens all basically split 40/40

We need Korpi to play another 10 or so games a season. I also think that's the key to keeping Bob healthy.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Damn wish the ducks took that one. I'm a big fan of a lot of the ducks. The only teams outside of CBJ I like players on is basically Anaheim and Winnipeg. Kesler and Silf have been guys I've dreamed were in Columbus for years now. Kesler since like 08 and Silf since the Ryan trade when I first really learned about him. Hopefully they come back the next game. Nash is.a good team though. End of the day it's whoever wins the west for me.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I have multiple times on this site tried defending Ryan and his contract saying how good of a goal scorer he truly is he just needs a playmaker with him and he would.pot at least 30 through his prime. The guy is basically another Kessel. He is a true class personified player that never cheap shots people but gets mocked for an imaginary lack of effort. Remember when he didn't make The Olympics and they said it was because he couldn't spell intense or something stupid like that. Just like Kessel and the being fat narrative. It's because they were highly touted American players making big money in Canada that they wanted to knock them down a peg because in the media's eyes up there no way American players can be better then a good ole Canadian boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad