Around Hockey XIV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If Boston wins, and assuming Chicago comes out of the West...The B's will have faced an AOS road to the Cup.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Also...HILARIOUS that Nash's empty net chance got blocked last night. ZERO freaking goals lmao.

His playoff TOI this year is the lowest of his career (granted, he's only had two other trips to the postseason). I know he makes defensive plays from time to time, but watching the last few games of that series...he's the most invisible $7.8 million man I've ever seen. Maybe it's just me, but I just do not notice him outside of 3-4 plays a game. I literally went stretches of 12-15 minutes thinking he wasn't even playing in the game - injury, scratch, something. He makes very little impact.

And I find it hilarious that Dorse is the 8th highest paid forward on the Rangers team. He averages like 4 minutes of TOI for them in the playoffs.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Thanks, yeah... Ä, ö, å... Following Blue Jackets closely ever since Kekäläinen was announced. And not only because he is Finnish too. Just seems to be doing good work. Maybe if the chosen one would have been Jari Kurri instead of Kekäläinen on his merits I would be more critical...

It would still been bit easier road last summer to be drafting in potential top-3 pick range in terms of adding quality for years to come to the line-up when there were MacKinnon and Barkov like top prospects in likely draft position availevable. If you wouldn't have been pushing for play-offs in the first place or doing anything towards this team's instant success which they tried with the whole Gaborik deal in the first place instead of just offloading usable, long-term assets for draft picks, that is.

I'm not a big believer in most of the rental deals either but adding quality for longer time than couple months. Of course when the core is close to complete and competitive you can try quick fixes even if it would take bit off the "future of the organization". In team sports it ain't always exactly easy come into a new locker room or tactical setup during season and take someone else's place in the line-up so it's usually bit overplayed option in my mind.

Awesome. Welcome:yo:

I get it. I've supported the "Tank for Talent" for pretty much our franchises' entire 14 years. The CBJ have missed on a lot of franchise type talent because they were bad, but not bad enough. Ovechkin, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, Hall, Hedman, Tavares, Duchene, Doughty come to mind.

However, from a "I've dumped over $42,000 into season tickets plus who knows what in parking and food and beer and souvenirs/jerseys, etc since the first game the CBJ ever skated" viewpoint, I would like to see some playoff hockey. This is a league where over 50% of the teams make the playoffs and 85% of the time, it's not the Jackets. It gets old paying for losing hockey. We can't always be playing for 3-4 seasons down the road. It's why the CBJ have one of the league's worse attendance numbers. They have to have some success.

If Jarmo got a 1st round pick out of LA for Gabby, I might not be as disappointed. But, I said weeks before the trade deadline that I expected all we would get for Gaborik was a 2nd round draft pick and a depth player. I didn't expect us to pay 1/2 his Gaborik's salary too or to receive a 3rd round contingent in return, so I guess those were a wash. If we get that Norris or Selke player you mentioned from one of those 2 picks, I'll happily buy you a few beers:D

Again, great to see Columbus growing some international fans:)

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
I get it. I've supported the "Tank for Talent" for pretty much our franchises' entire 14 years. The CBJ have missed on a lot of franchise type talent because they were bad, but not bad enough. Ovechkin, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, Hall, Hedman, Tavares, Duchene, Doughty come to mind.

Well I ain't exactly in favour of tanking... There really should be even more actions taken against Chicago, Pittsburg, Edmonton or now Buffalo type of pre-draft crashing to keep every team as competitive as possible instead of some giving up early.

It's actually admirable that despite having 'great' chance to do the same for couple next seasons (soon after Kekäläinen was hired) they went out for gamble in Gaborik and have tried to install identity with some amount of success like for example Arizona Coyotes (too soon?) have done and will continue to build on that. Just too soon in the process for being truly competitive.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
We should still be playing right now. :(

The Rangers didn't look good at all. The Penguins truly blew that series.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Outside of Lundqvist, I agree. But its foolish to exclude Lundqvist from an overall assessment of the Rangers.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Assuming we were the ones playing the Pens in this series I still don't think we beat them unless Bob is Henrik-esque.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

Bumped.

Honestly, I think we'd beat Montreal in a best of 7 series.

Why did we have to trade Gaborik? :shakehead

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The Habs & the Rangers. Wow. Who would have thunk it. I'm sure all of us will be playing a bit of what if tonight.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The Habs & the Rangers. Wow. Who would have thunk it. I'm sure all of us will be playing a bit of what if tonight.

Yeah but let's face it, hockey playoffs always go as planned and the fact is, the Jackets weren't winning the Cup this year and now the future's protected.

Did I do that right?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There is no hockey gods. NYR will have their way with the Habs and they will win in 6. I almost said 5, but I feel Price will steal more than one game.

Rick Nash is probably going to be hoisting the Cup if the Kings get eliminated.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah but let's face it, hockey playoffs always go as planned and the fact is, the Jackets weren't winning the Cup this year and now the future's protected.

Did I do that right?

I think you aced it. All that is needed now is for someone who doesn't get sarcasm to respond with "What do you mean? The playoffs never go as planned, I think the Jackets could have won, especially if we kept Gabby and what future?" :laugh:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
dead canadians

tumblr_n5lfob4uqZ1t1om7ho1_1280.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad