Around Hockey XIV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I honestly don't care for many guys on either of those teams, save for Lundqvist, Soderberg, Bergeron, and Zuccarello. So...provided the Broons win tomorrow, one thing is for sure: I definitely want the Cup to go to the West.

Even if Jeff Whiner and the Kings get there?

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
I don't think he's overrated as much as the entire PIT team is overrated. He's the best player in the world.

All I know is that the Penguins will be paying a combined salary of $18,200,000 starting next year and continuing for a long, long , long time. If they want to win Cups, they need to make serious changes now. Otherwise, 87 and 71 will be on the downslope and making the same salaries, thus choking off the organization's ability to put a quality team on the ice.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Tonight H. Lundqvist was the best player in the world, and in the 7th game of a semi playoff series too... that is what counts...
Best goalie definitely. Best skater? Is Crosby. Sometimes the goalie wins, tonight he did. Add in the emotional boost the NYR got when MSL's mother died, and they rallied around him.

All I know is that the Penguins will be paying a combined salary of $18,200,000 starting next year and continuing for a long, long , long time. If they want to win Cups, they need to make serious changes now. Otherwise, 87 and 71 will be on the downslope and making the same salaries, thus choking off the organization's ability to put a quality team on the ice.

I am in firm belief they may trade Malkin for help on defense and wing

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
Seeing the Rangers win gives me hope. Other than goal I think we match up quite favorably with them. Pittsburgh had lots of chances. Lundqvist was the difference.

Got to give the Rangers credit. They were close a few years ago and knew they were a player away. So they went out and got the guy who could put them over the top.
His name.....Rick Nash!

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Another benefit of the Rangers winning is they would lose their #1 pick as part of the MSL trade.

I didn't realize that. That's kind of awesome

edit: wait, do you mean winning the cup, or winning the series vs. the Pens to reach the Conference Finals?

Last edited:

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
I for one cannot believe the Pens lost 3 in a row to that Rangers team, even with their goalie. Two of the three were at home, too.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I didn't realize that. That's kind of awesome

edit: wait, do you mean winning the cup, or winning the series vs. the Pens to reach the Conference Finals?

There are two picks-related conditions in the trade. If the Rangers reach the Eastern Conference finals this season, the 2014 pick headed to Tampa Bay would become a first-round selection. If Callahan, a pending unrestricted free agent, re-signs with the Lightning, New York would receive a second-round pick in 2015 and Tampa Bay would get an additional seventh-round pick in 2015.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/sto...s-traded-new-york-rangers-tampa-bay-lightning

Last edited:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
You do realize there's over 80% chance this 2nd round "brick" doesn't spend any significant time in the NHL? Less chance for a 3rd rounder? Even less chance that either will be a key brick (Top 6 Forward or Top 4 D-man) And, your whole argument is blown up based on the 2013 trade to acquire Gaborik? We traded 2 first round "Bricks" and Dorsett to get Gaborik. So we managed to parlay 2 first round "bricks" into an up-in-the-air 2nd rounder and a contingent 3rd.

One of the Vezina nominees this season was a third round pick. Every Norris trophy nominee was drafted in second or third round. 1/3 Selke nominees came from second round. I wouldn't completely ruin the chance of drafting something more than Gaborik would have been for this organization since there would have been only couple months left for him as a Blue Jacket, most likely, by far greater percent than 80.

I too think that Gaborik, if it had worked, would have been a exciting player to watch but there are plenty of others too left to gamble on if the price is right.

Dorsett, Brassard and Moore then ain't the kind of bricks you wanna build your house on. Bobrovski, Murray, Anisimov, Letestu, Calvert and Johansen contribute more towards that impossible dream.

The whole reason to play the regular season is to get to the playoffs, not accumulate late round draft picks. Complete losers' mentality to give away an all-star scorer for a 2nd round and contingent 3rd while well in a playoff hunt. I've owned season tickets since Day One and am personally tired of this team playing for the draft instead of the playoffs. I'm sure others, like Jarmo, don't feel the same urgency. It surprises me the value people place on draft picks. We've have what 8 guys on the current roster we've actually drafted?

They could have also went all Buffalo when Kekäläinen joined but decided not to but fight for it. It is just evident when you look at recent Stanley Cup winners and even finalists that it ain't no Miracle on Ice game out there to make almost 30+ play-off games and come out victorious.

Honesty is all I can give to you and there was a succesful play-off hunt but not very much of a triumph towards Stanley Cup in any given scenario.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
One of the Vezina nominees this season was a third round pick. Every Norris trophy nominee was drafted in second or third round. 1/3 Selke nominees came from second round. I wouldn't completely ruin the chance of drafting something more than Gaborik would have been for this organization since there would have been only couple months left for him as a Blue Jacket, most likely, by far greater percent than 80.

I too think that Gaborik, if it had worked, would have been a exciting player to watch but there are plenty of others too left to gamble on if the price is right.

Dorsett, Brassard and Moore then ain't the kind of bricks you wanna build your house on. Bobrovski, Murray, Anisimov, Letestu, Calvert and Johansen contribute more towards that impossible dream.

They could have also went all Buffalo when Kekäläinen joined but decided not to but fight for it. It is just evident when you look at recent Stanley Cup winners and even finalists that it ain't no Miracle on Ice game out there to make almost 30+ play-off games and come out victorious.

Honesty is all I can give to you and there was a succesful play-off hunt but not very much of a triumph towards Stanley Cup in any given scenario.

That's because they went "all Buffalo" in 2012, which provided us 3 first round picks last year. They still have their key draft picks this year. Our prospect cupboard isn't bare. This team has had zero playoff success in 14 years. The long-term fans weren't looking for a miracle on ice, but a best effort from management would've been nice. I'm sure you saw the games and how appreciative fans were to just finally have a few playoff games. It shouldn't have taken this long to get some games like these in Columbus. The games were all 1 goal games (minus an empty netter in game 5), Gaborik may have helped push one or two of those losses our way. We may not even had to play Pens first round. Maybe Gaborik helps us get another couple of points during end of season and we face Rangers first round.

Also, wouldn't it have been a better message to the current core players if they put themselves in a playoff position at trade deadline, that management's not going to sell players for 5 years down the road? What other professional team does that? For the little return they got for Gaborik, they should've kept him.

BTW...welcome to HFboards.:nod: Are you Finnish? I see you actually use the diaereses in Kekäläinen. :handclap:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
That's because they went "all Buffalo" in 2012, which provided us 3 first round picks last year. They still have their key draft picks this year. Our prospect cupboard isn't bare. This team has had zero playoff success in 14 years. The long-term fans weren't looking for a miracle on ice, but a best effort from management would've been nice. I'm sure you saw the games and how appreciative fans were to just finally have a few playoff games. It shouldn't have taken this long to get some games like these in Columbus. The games were all 1 goal games (minus an empty netter in game 5), Gaborik may have helped push one or two of those losses our way. We may not even had to play Pens first round. Maybe Gaborik helps us get another couple of points during end of season and we face Rangers first round.

Also, wouldn't it have been a better message to the current core players if they put themselves in a playoff position at trade deadline, that management's not going to sell players for 5 years down the road? What other professional team does that? For the little return they got for Gaborik, they should've kept him.

BTW...welcome to HFboards.:nod: Are you Finnish? I see you actually use the diaereses in Kekäläinen. :handclap:

I have made no bones about the fact that I thought we should have kept Gabby for the plaf-off push, and then the play-offs. However, there is an argument to be made that Gabby's success lies more in the fact that he is a better fit in L.A. Playing along side of Kopitar would open up a lot of chances for many a player.

I also sort of disagree with the bolded. I thought the message management sent to the players was that they trusted them to get the job done, and did not need to make a fancy trade at the deadline to get into the play-offs.

In the THN latest franchise rankings Columbus was one of only three teams that got a 10 in the future watch category. Sure, that does not translate into immediate success, but our future looks bright, and I only expect our trajectory to be upward for some time to come.

On a side note, concerning the Crosby - Malkin conversation. At this point, if I could poach two players from one team, it would not be those two. It would be Toews - Kane for me.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014

Thanks, yeah... Ä, ö, å... Following Blue Jackets closely ever since Kekäläinen was announced. And not only because he is Finnish too. Just seems to be doing good work. Maybe if the chosen one would have been Jari Kurri instead of Kekäläinen on his merits I would be more critical...

It would still been bit easier road last summer to be drafting in potential top-3 pick range in terms of adding quality for years to come to the line-up when there were MacKinnon and Barkov like top prospects in likely draft position availevable. If you wouldn't have been pushing for play-offs in the first place or doing anything towards this team's instant success which they tried with the whole Gaborik deal in the first place instead of just offloading usable, long-term assets for draft picks, that is.

I'm not a big believer in most of the rental deals either but adding quality for longer time than couple months. Of course when the core is close to complete and competitive you can try quick fixes even if it would take bit off the "future of the organization". In team sports it ain't always exactly easy come into a new locker room or tactical setup during season and take someone else's place in the line-up so it's usually bit overplayed option in my mind.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
... Gaborik may have helped push one or two of those losses our way. We may not even had to play Pens first round. Maybe Gaborik helps us get another couple of points during end of season and we face Rangers first...

All bolded were possible, but it's equally possible that they may have missed the playoffs had Gaborik not been traded. No way of knowing. I would have preferred they had taken that chance, simply because I've always enjoyed watching Gabby play, but I'm not too hung up on the "what ifs" of it. The trade can't be evaluated until we see what the draft picks return and any impact they may have in the future. For now, the Jackets have contributed greatly to a couple of very strong Kings playoff teams. I'm happy with where the CBJ is, now, and encouraged by what is to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad