OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah,I think SFY and Motown is gonna have to wait another year for a return to playoff hockey.
Don't get me wrong, Yzerman has drafted a few really good names but the lack of lottery luck has killed him. Here he at least started with Hedman and Stamkos to build the long term future around. You legitimately cannot do better than that in 2 years. Who did he have in Detroit? Larkin? They REALLY needed to luck out and win the Jack Hughes sweepstakes. You can make that work with Mo Seider.

This is also why I hate lotteries. Here's hoping Pittsburgh doesn't land have to only wait 20 seconds before their next savior for the next 20 years arrives. I just know those f***ers are gonna land McKenna or Jacobson

Reactions: Outl4w

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Don't get me wrong, Yzerman has drafted a few really good names but the lack of lottery luck has killed him. Here he at least started with Hedman and Stamkos to build the long term future around. You legitimately cannot do better than that in 2 years. Who did he have in Detroit? Larkin? They REALLY needed to luck out and win the Jack Hughes sweepstakes. You can make that work with Mo Seider.

This is also why I hate lotteries. Here's hoping Pittsburgh doesn't land have to only wait 20 seconds before their next savior for the next 20 years arrives. I just know those f***ers are gonna land McKenna or Jacobson
The lottery was partially instituted because the Pens bottomed out for Lemieux.

I'm not sure what the solution is. It's not like getting McDavid or Bedard immediately turns a team's results around. It wasn't that way with Crosby or Ovechkin, either. You can't fail your way into a good team (Edmonton).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The lottery was partially instituted because the Pens bottomed out for Lemieux.

I'm not sure what the solution is. It's not like getting McDavid or Bedard immediately turns a team's results around. It wasn't that way with Crosby or Ovechkin, either. You can't fail your way into a good team (Edmonton).
They need to just let it go. The straw that broke the camel's back was claims that an EXPANSION TEAM IN 1992 was too bad. And the guy they got is renowned as the biggest bust in history. Imagine the Lightning being the worst team in the league starting in 2028 for 3 straight years and picking 3rd each time.

It's nonsense

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
They need to just let it go. The straw that broke the camel's back was claims that an EXPANSION TEAM IN 1992 was too bad. And the guy they got is renowned as the biggest bust in history. Imagine the Lightning being the worst team in the league starting in 2028 for 3 straight years and picking 3rd each time.

It's nonsense
starting?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The NHL Utah team should double down on having the Utah Jazz, and take the opportunity to gaslight everyone about actually being New Orleans.

Utah Zydeco. Utah Gumbo Gators. Utah Bayou Brass. Utah Voodoo.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
What's interesting about the Anson Carter group is that the Atlanta Gladiators are last place in the ECHL. Carter is a minority owner.

If his angle is that he's a hockey guy, how is he going to turn the Glads around?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

'GMs were told that the NCAA is actively considering removing all restrictions for CHL players to play after their CHL careers are done.'

What 'after their CHL careers are done' means is important. I don't think it implies 'once they've aged out', since there's an OA year.

Scholarships are going to really matter. Canadian teams, with a weak dollar, paying for even more expensive US college isn't going to work.

I think I already posted this, but if Daxon in the Dub is like a biomechanical engineering genius, and he can get academic scholarships in the US, then good for him. He can go at 18.

Connor in the Q, who prefers pop-up books, can wait for an athletic scholarship at 20.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

I don't see a benefit for the USHL to merge into the CHL. USHL teams aren't on the hook to pay for their players' university educations, like the CHL are.

On the other hand, there's some security in banking a few years of USports coverage while you're 16 and 17 in the CHL.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The ability of tall players is an interesting way to think about talent pools. Could the NBA expand if they basically ran out of extraordinarily athletic 6'8+ men?

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

If true, then bye bye CHL first rounders.

Something that's otherwise sort of irrelevant for us to know is how NCAA athletic scholarships work. Like most sports, hockey is considered an 'equivalent' sport (as opposed to head-count). Coaches basically get a budget for athletic scholarships that they can spread around however they like.

Head-count sports, like men's basketball and football, are all full ride scholarships (since those teams make lots of money).

The NCAA will still get the Cutter Gauthiers and Macklin Celebrinis, but they don't have the budget for an entire team of full rides. This does, however, theoretically spread the top talent through more programs, which is good.

I do wonder a bit about how the CHL/USports scholarships would play out. Under the current set up, players would get a season to try the NCAA before having to use (or lose) their CHL education package. They could also enter the NCAA transfer portal for another offer.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I've watched like half of this so far, but it's a discussion of the downfall of NHL esports.
(bad language notice)

NHL esports wormed its way into my head a few weeks ago. I remembered that the Lightning in particular tried to get things going a little with Bolts Gaming. The last thing I can remember was a Twitch stream with Anthony Cirelli and Brayden Point that got like 30 concurrent viewers.

I've always been pretty pessimistic about esports (at least in the west), so I was always banging the drum about how putting resources into literally anything else would be a better use.

The pandemic economy was pretty awful. Esports, crypto, NFTs, meme stocks, etc. I think that era really ended a year ago with the launch of ChatGPT. AI is actually useful.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
South Forsyth/Krause project

There is a certain amount of bluster going on. I don't think making last minute changes unilaterally are fair play, but I don't think the bigger changes completely make the project fall apart. The county approved for themselves an extra dollar per ticket sold, and some changes to the order things are built.

This is why it's sort of weird that there's an assumption if the Coyotes win their bid in June, it's all smooth sailing.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

link (embed doesn't seem to be working right now)

It makes sense for Carter to clarify that he's not involved with the Forsyth project, but they don't seem all that different, either.

I'd need to know what's up with the mixed-use development, but I don't think it'll be all that truly 'experimental' (maybe for Atlanta). Mixed use is time tested, and lots of people love it.

The NHL is really led by its team owners (the commissioner works for them), so who would be the better pick to join that group? Carter isn't NHL team owner wealthy. It's someone else's money. How would Carter ensure his status? Anson Carter is doing basically what Espo did, and there were some rough years.

There are still open questions for Vernon Krause, but at least we seem to know who holds the purse strings.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Lightning draft picks with 700+ NHL games played:

Roman Hamrlik - 1395
Vinny Lecavalier - 1212
Brad Richards - 1126
Chris Gratton - 1092
Daymond Langkow - 1090
Steven Stamkos - 1072