OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Elliotte Friedman has said that Verbeek is looking at former OSB assistant Matt McIlvane for their new AHL coach.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Our former prospect Ben Thomas got a game misconduct earlier today for this hit in the Liiga finals. His team Tappara is up 2-0 anyway and barring a miracle will win the title.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

We're quote tweeting Andrew Weiss and it's something we agree with him with. This is a terrible timeline.

I didn't bitch last night...quick whistle happen, we've been the beneficiaries on stuff like that before as well, and it's just bad luck. We should've won anyway so I only have so much sympathy for what happened. But you see what happened last night, and less than 24 hours later the same thing happens in another game, and this one gets the other outcome...you have no option but to throw your arms up and say "f*** this".

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Twitter thread from a former Lakers strength and conditioning coach on NBA load management, but applicable to hockey.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If you've played Football Manager in the last few years, they differentiate rest and recovery as two different types of training.

Having a team practice at like 10:30 am, letting guys do anything they need afterward, but essentially being off for most of the day is part of balancing everything.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Can you get a burnout as a pro athlete?
Studies show yes. I bring this forward not as making excuses as much as I am convinced this team (and certain players), are mentally whooped. I should also say I'm from the "tape an aspirin to it!" and "No win, no trophy!" generation but, as I got older and more complex life changes, I have grown a bigger appreciation for this.

I can only speak from personal experience that the constant (and daily) grind of being an Administrator at work, caregiver and POA to both my parents, parent to a child with Autism, and the guy that pretty much does everything, there's quite a few days where I'm just mentally exhausted and feel like I've ran a marathon, yet stationary. I can't remember shit, simple shit to be exact, make simple mistakes, get distracted and frustrated easily, and just plop down on the couch and not move for a while. I'm sure everyone has, or does, experience days where you just feel beat up.

I'm no pro athlete though. Those days have long since vanished. But I make up for it by taking time off and just "unplugging" when I get the opportunities. These guys (our guys and athletes in general) are year-round with training, their personal lives, etc. For NHL players, their season can go anywhere from 7 to 9 months. And not to intentionally diminish other sports, but we all know hockey's a very physically and mentally demanding sport.

I've always imagined that mental fatigue is indiscriminate however, whether you're an average Joe-Schmoe, Career/Work Professional, or an athlete (Pro or amateur).

All I'm saying folks is since this team has played practically a full season more than any other club in the last 3 years that it no doubt has taken a toll and we're seeing it before our eyes.

I did a google scrape and found these if anyone's interested.

How to prevent burnout in your workout routine and recover from it (Washington Post)

Burnout in Sport and Performance (Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Psychology)

What Causes Athlete Burnout? A New Study Suggests Perfectionism Plays A Role (Forbes)

Burnout in Athletes (National Athletic Trainers' Association)

And for those with kid or student athletes out there...

ATHLETE BURNOUT: CAUSES AND PREVENTION STRATEGIES

A YEAR-LONG MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS JOURNEY 'Burnout is real': Student athletes' mental health is not a game

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
European association football/soccer would likely be a very good sport to look at. While they generally don't have playoffs (as we know them), the schedules of the world's best go for almost the entire year.
These guys are also playing the bulk of the minutes in a given game, and in-game substitutions are limited.

Last edited:

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I would love to see the Panthers knock out the Bruins then knock out the leafs. I would also really liked Gudas to TKO a certain Leaf.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I would love to see the Panthers knock out the Bruins then knock out the leafs. I would also really liked Gudas to TKO a certain Leaf.
I can't root for the Bruins, but the agony of the Leafs losing to the Bruins again would be amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad