Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Just posed this question in the playoff subforum thread about "team most likely to knock out the Lightning" and I figure I'll bring it here as well. Which scenario would you rather have in the semifinal round (provided the Lightning make it)?

Scenario A: Maple Leafs are eliminated prior to the semifinals, putting the Lightning as the #2 seed, with home ice, facing either the Islanders or Bruins (likely the Bruins) in the semifinal round, and then (likely) facing the Avalanche if they win that series.

Scenario B: Maple Leafs win their division, and have the #2 seed with home ice against the Lightning while the Bruins face the Avs in the other semifinal. So the Lightning would only need to beat either the Bruins or Avs, instead of both, but would have to get past Toronto without the home ice in order to do so (of course, where Toronto "home" games might be held is another matter altogether, and with how many fans in attendance and who they'd be rooting for).

I would take Scenario B in a cocaine heartbeat, personally. Boston is no worse than the 4th best team in the NHL in my opinion, and I'd probably rate them at #3. This Bruins team is better than the one that played for the Cup in 2019. They're very, very dangerous.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Just posed this question in the playoff subforum thread about "team most likely to knock out the Lightning" and I figure I'll bring it here as well. Which scenario would you rather have in the semifinal round (provided the Lightning make it)?

Scenario A: Maple Leafs are eliminated prior to the semifinals, putting the Lightning as the #2 seed, with home ice, facing either the Islanders or Bruins (likely the Bruins) in the semifinal round, and then (likely) facing the Avalanche if they win that series.

Scenario B: Maple Leafs win their division, and have the #2 seed with home ice against the Lightning while the Bruins face the Avs in the other semifinal. So the Lightning would only need to beat either the Bruins or Avs, instead of both, but would have to get past Toronto without the home ice in order to do so (of course, where Toronto "home" games might be held is another matter altogether, and with how many fans in attendance and who they'd be rooting for).

I would take Scenario B in a cocaine heartbeat, personally. Boston is no worse than the 4th best team in the NHL in my opinion, and I'd probably rate them at #3. This Bruins team is better than the one that played for the Cup in 2019. They're very, very dangerous.
Scenario B, without a doubt.

Though I have to say I never bought all of the hype about the East division being the toughest and the early departure of Pens and Caps in relatively easy fashion makes a pretty good case for me. My point is, judging Boston is tough. I've watched them a lot and they can be pretty hot and cold offensively though Hall has definitely added a needed element. They beat a Caps team that was a hot mess, Ovi hurt, goalie goes down in first game, Kuznetzov being his usual selfish self and Mantha being Mantha. B's looked good but not great IMO.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I'd take scenario b for sure. First one would be fun but I think we could get Toronto at a good time if we get by Carolina.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Feels relevant for TB's future on ESPN.

Wouldn't be anything new, I'm afraid. I can't remember just what the graphic was about, but within the last year or so there was a tweet from the NHL on NBC Twitter account with some players and the team they're most associated with's logo next to them. Martin St. Louis was on that graphic. They used a Rangers logo next to his name. Wasn't cool.

EDIT: Here it is.

Reactions: The Macho King

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Wouldn't be anything new, I'm afraid. I can't remember just what the graphic was about, but within the last year or so there was a tweet from the NHL on NBC Twitter account with some players and the team they're most associated with's logo next to them. Martin St. Louis was on that graphic. They used a Rangers logo next to his name. Wasn't cool.

EDIT: Here it is.

How many of those did he score with NYR? Ah right.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Ken Campbell is leaving The Hockey News as a full-time employee, but his final blog for them is interesting.

Any care to guess which NHL player has drawn the most minor penalties in the NHL since McDavid entered the league in 2015-16? Tom Wilson, that’s who. Second is Nazem Kadri, while McDavid is third. Brad Marchand is fourth and Matthew Tkachuk is fifth.

This is stuff I've been saying for years, in stats form.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Ken Campbell is leaving The Hockey News as a full-time employee, but his final blog for them is interesting.

This is stuff I've been saying for years, in stats form.

Can't say I'm sorry to see Ken Campbell go from the HN. A shrill pontificator is how I would describe him.

As for the article, in essence he is saying there should be one standard for "stars" and another for everyone else. If the league would just call the rule book as written those players would naturally draw the most penalties but trying to instead single out one player from another for a special level of enforcement is ludicrous. You'll notice that he made no proposal on how to actually pull it off.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
When did Canadian hockey become as boring as a NJ-Winnipeg game?

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
I find Toronto Maple Leaves meltdowns to be the best.

First it snows there this morning, now the meltdown.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Goodbye HFBoards, it was nice knowing you tonight. 2-0 Habs, wow.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I just don't see any reason for any real contender to take whoever advances from the North seriously.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Can't say I'm sorry to see Ken Campbell go from the HN. A shrill pontificator is how I would describe him.

As for the article, in essence he is saying there should be one standard for "stars" and another for everyone else. If the league would just call the rule book as written those players would naturally draw the most penalties but trying to instead single out one player from another for a special level of enforcement is ludicrous. You'll notice that he made no proposal on how to actually pull it off.
Gord Miller and Mike Johnson were complementing the World Championship refs today for their consistency (which also was a pointed comment towards the NHL).

The IIHF grab a bunch of refs from all over the world (one of them even works in the ECHL), and they're fair. Imperfect of course, but no drama. A penalty is a penalty no matter the teams or the score.

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
lol Leafs

Downtown Toronto, 10:57 P.M. ET:

nGaZ9Zu.gif

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I just don't see any reason for any real contender to take whoever advances from the North seriously.

The only unfortunate thing is that, if it's not the Leafs, odds are we won't get the chance to face the North winner no matter how deep our run goes. Montréal or Winnipeg is off to face the West winner, where they'll probably be annihilated.

Reactions: gn2007

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
The only unfortunate thing is that, if it's not the Leafs, odds are we won't get the chance to face the North winner no matter how deep our run goes. Montréal or Winnipeg is off to face the West winner, where they'll probably be annihilated.

Winnipeg will be a tough out, for the same reason we always are:

Goaltending

Helleboy will cause fits. They have very little offense but a great defensive structure and will probably take the Avs 6 or 7 games.

Vegas is too busy melting down to be a threat.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Winnipeg will be a tough out, for the same reason we always are:

Goaltending

Helleboy will cause fits. They have very little offense but a great defensive structure and will probably take the Avs 6 or 7 games.

Vegas is too busy melting down to be a threat.

They wouldn't be melting down if they get past Colorado. Not that I'm expecting that to happen.

Reactions: DaBolts
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad