Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I like the Boston news this week. Looks like a team that doesn't have focus. Let's hope we can get them while they are in their funk.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Some of the stories up in Boston

Cam Neely Shares Thoughts On David Pastrnak, Ondrej Kase Absences From Camp
Trying to find David Pastrnak and Ondrej Kase the last week-and-a-half has been a bit of a “Where’s Waldo” exercise.

The Boston Bruins forwards missed the first two days of training camp but appeared last Wednesday. They since haven’t taken part in practice, and over the last 10 days photos have surfaced of the two skating at a local rink as well as out in the North End.

Because of the new league rule mandating teams only say absences, regardless of reason, are because a player is “unfit to play,” nobody really knows why the two haven’t been around.
The Bruins are scheduled to travel to their hub city of Toronto on Sunday, and Neely indicated Pastrnak and Kase might not appear on the ice in Boston before then.
Bruins Notes: Jaroslav Halak Will Play In Bruins’ Round-Robin Games
Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy on Tuesday indicated that Halak will, in fact, take part in the round-robin tournament in some capacity. But his usage in those three games, and beyond that, remains to be seen.

“Jaro will play in the round-robin,” Cassidy said Tuesday. “You have to get him ready as well as Tuukka. I don’t know how exactly it will play out yet, but he’ll get in there, we need him ready for the playoffs as well — both of them — and you need live action to do that. And I think Tuukka understands that part of it. So how much and how we divide it up, that’ll be (determined as we get closer).”

Cassidy also indicated the two netminders might split time in Boston’s exhibition game against the Columbus Blue Jackets next week.
...Charlie McAvoy missed his second straight practice and Joakim Nordstrom was not around for his second in four days. It’s unclear why exactly each player was unavailable, but Cassidy does hope at least some will be back for Wednesday’s skate.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
So um... the Seattle Goalhorns?
Seattle Goalhornz (to avoid copyright), Seattle Puget Sound, Seattle Siren.

I don't think that has anything to do with it really other than saying they have a name. The video did have a lot of pink and green in the netting and gloves, which may or may not be a clue at this point. Those are Sockeye colors.

Their Twitter avatar changed to the water. Could be Sockeye. Seattle Shoremen? Sounds more like a college team.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Well a lot of people still bet on Seattle Kraken. I think Totem(s) is pretty much out of the question now. Saw a comment suggesting Redskins that made me laff.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Well a lot of people still bet on Seattle Kraken. I think Totem(s) is pretty much out of the question now. Saw a comment suggesting Redskins that made me laff.
Confirmation: T-Swizzle's surprise new album being released tonight.
"Tonight at midnight I’ll be releasing my 8th studio album, folklore; an entire brand new album of songs I’ve poured all of my whims, dreams, fears, and musings into,"

Reactions: LightningStrikes

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
So um... the Seattle Goalhorns?
The Foghorns
Pixar%2BPost%2B-%2BInside%2BOut%2BMadness%2BTV%2BSpot1.jpg

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It's a good name for puns. Other than that, not so much.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm trying to let the brand sink in and it's just not doing it for me. Of all the ways to honor Seattle or Washington's heritage this is just off the wall. Emerald for city nickname. Evergreens for state nickname. Metropolitans or Super Sonics -but a hockey version to pay direct tribute to former teams. Aeros in indirect tribute. Steelheads, Raniers Totems... Anything. And they pick a damn sea monster. I can at least forgive Nashville for the Smilodon because of the fossil found back in the 70's

Bah get off my lawn

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm trying to let the brand sink in and it's just not doing it for me. Of all the ways to honor Seattle or Washington's heritage this is just off the wall. Emerald for city nickname. Evergreens for state nickname. Metropolitans or Super Sonics -but a hockey version to pay direct tribute to former teams. Aeros in indirect tribute. Steelheads, Raniers Totems... Anything. And they pick a damn sea monster. I can at least forgive Nashville for the Smilodon because of the fossil found back in the 70's

Bah get off my lawn
Tyranny of the majority.

Steelheads, Rainiers, and Totems don't work. Idaho Steelheads are too close geographically. Seattle Reign is the old name for their NWSL team (they play in Tacoma now, so they're now the 'OL Reign'). Totems would be offensive. Aeros may be too close to Jets.

They could have been the Skipjacks (also known as the 'victor fish'.) The issue I see is that it's also the name of a boat used in the Chesapeake region used to dredge oysters. Wrong Washington.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Such a cringe name. The Boaty McBoatface of team names.

It's gonna be awkward explaining the origin of the team name.. "well see there was this moderately popular movie in 2010 called Clash of the Titans, yeah it only has a 26% on Rotten Tomatoes, but people really liked that line about releasing the kraken..."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I was curious as well as how a kraken ties into Seattle or the state of Washington. From their website:
The largest octopus on planet Earth lives right here in Puget Sound. The Giant Pacific Octopus lurks in the deep around Seattle. According to Tacoma legend, they inhabit the ruins of collapsed bridge "Galloping Gertie" with the infamous "King Octopus." National Geographic notes the biggest on record at 30 ft wide and over 600 lbs. If you encountered that in the depths of our Sound, you'd tell tales of one thing…You just saw the Kraken.
That's not really a satisfying answer for what a Scandinavian mythical creature has to do with their city. But if they wanted something different and unique, they certainly got that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad