OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
He demanded a trade not to Chicago or Boston but New York. He was clearly interested in an easy and convenient final year and a half in the league. While there is nothing wrong with that, it doesn't suggest that the "Do anything to win" Marty we once loved is still out there. To pay what the Rangers paid for a 38 year old is almost insane but I'm glad they did.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This brings me joy too: He's hated by both his former team's fans and his new team's fans. His fans now are only people who've never really watched him on a game-for-game basis.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
This brings me joy too: He's hated by both his former team's fans and his new team's fans. His fans now are only people who've never really watched him on a game-for-game basis.

Even many of them lost respect for him because of what he did

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm still stunned by how selfish he was. He was the captain of our team in the middle of a playoff run and just leaves in the middle of it. It's like he quit on them and wanted to join a different team because he had no faith in the team. While this is a young team and maybe he's right that the team was so young and is just beginning their growth towards being one of those teams. But it's just classless to leave a team in the middle of a job. I think we would have forgave him had he kept his mouth shut and was traded over the offseason. Either way I think SY took advantage of the situation and did the best anyone could have done. If we resign Callahan it will be a sweeter deal.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He's been a turnover machine this game. It's actually really sad how awful he's been. Looks like we're not getting that 1st rounder either :(

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I was gladly swallowing pride in the name of getting that extra 2015 first round pick. That thing would give some absurd value and would make getting rid of a 39 year old malcontent that much better of a trade, in terms of assets gained/assets lost.

Well, oh well, guess that part was just a tad bit too good to be true.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
"Season’s over for Rangers, now it’s time to look to the future"

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/seasons-over-for-rangers-now-its-time-to-look-to-the-future/

"Think about it. ............... And when Martin St-Louis sulked his way out of Tampa Bay prior to the trade deadline, it was to go to one team and one team only – the Rangers.

............................ And St-Louis? Three goals in 30 regular season and playoff games since coming to the Rangers.

So, the question must be asked. On which of Nash or Richards should the Rangers use their remaining compliance buyout? Knowing them, probably not either, but it would rid the Rangers of one onerous contract. If it were Richards, the Rangers would be forced to pay $18 million in real money since $33 million of his $60 million deal has already been paid out, but would have a cap savings of $6.7 million for the next six seasons. If they were to buy out Nash, it would cost them $21.3 million in real dollars and would save them $7.8 million against the cap for each of the next four seasons.

In our annual Future Watch issue, THN ranked the Rangers dead-last in terms of its group of prospects. Which means the Rangers are far closer to a tear-down than they are a Stanley Cup championship. Perhaps it’s time to begin that process now."

Marty made a series of bad choces this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Nash is one of few buyout candidates I'd be inclined to go after if Yzerman could get him at a good price. And especially if we can't keep Callahan.

In other news, Connor McDavid got drafted to the KHL today.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Nash is one of few buyout candidates I'd be inclined to go after if Yzerman could get him at a good price. And especially if we can't keep Callahan.

Do you mean Rick Nash?

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

Rick Nash at $4-5million? Yes please.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Rick Nash at $4-5million? Yes please.

No thanks. We don't need another winger to add to the logjam, especially a declining one that only plays on the perimeter since his concussion. Not that I blame him, just don't want him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
No thanks. We don't need another winger to add to the logjam, especially a declining one that only plays on the perimeter since his concussion. Not that I blame him, just don't want him.

I have a hard time holding NYR performances against anyone. Nash was terrific in a shutdown role at the Olympics. And he can play RW where we could definitely help us, particularly if we lose Callahan. At $4-5 mill, he'd work pretty well here, I think. The stars would really have to align, mind you. If we keep Callahan, which I'd like to do, I'd be less interested. Not uninterested, but less. But if we lose Callahan, we'll be pretty weak on the right side.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Nash really is an odd case. He has a huge frame and slick hands but despite having worn the "C" on his chest for most of his NHL career he doesn't seem to perform when it matters most. At least not in Manhattan - then again a place where a PPG 38-year old went to less than 0.5 PPG over the course of 30 games.

That said, he still scored 26 goals in 65 games and yes, he looked very good in both his Olympics appearances. It all depends on if we re-sign Callahan I think. If we give him the 2nd line RW spot I don't think there's room for Nash who might be better suited for the 2nd line himself. Let alone the financial aspect.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I also hate bringing up this particular aspect of it, but I can't help but wonder if the health of his mother played a role in his forceful way of getting out of Tampa. A whole bunch of theoretical questions with theoretical answers emerge from this.

Above all else, however, I just send condolences over this. No one deserves the hand Marty was just dealt.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I also hate bringing up this particular aspect of it, but I can't help but wonder if the health of his mother played a role in his forceful way of getting out of Tampa. A whole bunch of theoretical questions with theoretical answers emerge from this.

Above all else, however, I just send condolences over this. No one deserves the hand Marty was just dealt.

Terrible, terrible news about his mother and I send him and the St. Louis family my deepest condolences.

However, her passing is reportedly 'unexpected' and she lived in Quebec, not Connecticut. I don't believe that his mother or her health were the reasons for him to force the trade.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
St. Louis' mother, France, suffered a heart attack in hospital following a lengthy illness. She was 63

Not sure on the timeframe but it is saddening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad