Armchair GMs: What moves would you make to maximize the roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
move 1. fire ken holland has GM and move him into a full time scouting type role

move 2. contact every other team just to remind them that the DRW are still in the league

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
move 1. fire ken holland has GM and move him into a full time scouting type role

move 2. contact every other team just to remind them that the DRW are still in the league

I concur. The best move is to fire Holland at this point. The Wings are a lost organization and Holland needs to go ASAP. Blow the team up and start from scratch. Trade away Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall etc.. and get what you can get back. All these players are old and overpaid so why keep them around when we can get draft picks out of them. Time to realize that the "talents" we have in our lineup are a bunch of midgets hyped up by people on this board and Ken Daniels. This team is going nowhere. We are a treadmill team and the peak for this group is getting an 8th seed. Its laughable to think we are one defenseman away from being a contender. More like 5 forwards, 4 defenseman, and possibly a goalie.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
I concur. The best move is to fire Holland at this point. The Wings are a lost organization and Holland needs to go ASAP. Blow the team up and start from scratch. Trade away Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall etc.. and get what you can get back. All these players are old and overpaid so why keep them around when we can get draft picks out of them. Time to realize that the "talents" we have in our lineup are a bunch of midgets hyped up by people on this board and Ken Daniels. This team is going nowhere. We are a treadmill team and the peak for this group is getting an 8th seed. Its laughable to think we are one defenseman away from being a contender. More like 5 forwards, 4 defenseman, and possibly a goalie.

I think you may be overreacting a bit. This last stretch of 5 or 6 games have been bad, no doubt. But to "blow the team up" at this point would a awful move. Even if we were healthy. Let's remember we've had Dats, Helm, Dekyser, Green, Quincey, Franzen, Richards injured and missed games. It's not time to panic yet.
But if we play the next 10 games, like the the last 5 games. Then we certainly have some serious problems.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'm hoping at the bare minimum Ken Holland does his usual: jack ****ing ****. The worst possible move would be to make another stupid David Legwand trade in a futile attempt to keep the playoff streak going. I would give him serious credit if he traded roster players for draft picks. Abdelkader's next contract is going to be an afwful overpayment for a guy at the very tail end of his prime. I'd prefer to trade him for a 1st or 2nd round draft pick. Mrazek is the future, however the Howard contract is so bad it will probably be difficult if not impossible to get anythng in return. Perhaps you can get a ho hum goalie prospect in return that can max out as an NHL backup.

Ulitimately we are not a playoff team. The closer we can get to drafting a guy like Jacob Chychrun then you have a solid nucleus for the rebuild when we open the new barn.

center: Larkin
D-man: Chychrun
Goalie: Mrazek

The timing is perfect. Let Blashill continue to try to teach his "system" while we plummet down the standings. Trade assets that are nearing or past their prime or don't have a role on the team when we are good again in 4-5 years. Make your over-ripe d-man prospects sink or swim over the next couple seasons so you know exactly what you have.

Retool on the fly was a complete and total failure if the goal is conference and Stanley Cup finals. The coming rebuild should result in drafting very high in the draft over the next couple seasons. At that point when you have a young team full of highly skilled talent you make the pitch to Stevie Y and see if he's ready to come back and right the ship.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
guys let's step back and stop having extreme thoughts. This is by no means over right now and this 'blow it up' things is getting bit too much traction this early in the season. Let's see how the team responds. They are not in ideal situation standing wise but if Wings can piece together couple wins, we could be at the top of the standing too... well actually that's not true but could still get into middle of the pack.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
guys let's step back and stop having extreme thoughts. This is by no means over right now and this 'blow it up' things is getting bit too much traction this early in the season. Let's see how the team responds. They are not in ideal situation standing wise but if Wings can piece together couple wins, we could be at the top of the standing too... well actually that's not true but could still get into middle of the pack.

If people don't want to acknowledge how bad we are that's fine with me. We had the best coach in hockey and were barely a playoff team. Holland doesn't have much time left. At this point I want to put the best possible team together in 2-3 years so that if/when the Ilitches reach out to Yzerman he doesn't have to do all the work Holland put off doing when it was clear we were no longer capable of a deep playoff run.

Is Yzerman going to want to come here if the team is still largely Z, Pavs, Ericsson, Kronwall, Quincey, Smith, Franzen, Abdelkader and Helm? He could easily say "thanks but no thanks". Now if the roster has a lot of really good young talent, like the situation he inherited in Tampa, then the situation becomes much more acceptable and he can quickly turn the franchise around like he did in Tampa where they have two recent conference finals appearances and one Cup final appearance.

The Ken Holland era is for all intents and purposes over. It's best to plan to have good, young talent when the new barn opens, not the poo poo platter of old guys well past their prime.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I would sell sell sell. Gator, Helm, and anything else that isn't nailed down is up for discussion. That includes Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Wings are not winning another cup with them, so might as well try to make the best out of a bad situation.

Maybe make the playoffs in two years when their new building opens up.

It sure beats the current trajectory the Wings are on. A few more years of mediocrity, THEN they become a lottery team.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site

Say they turn it around and finish at an 8th seed and lose in the first round again. Whats the point. We are not even close to being a contender and we are going downhill. Our star players are old and beaten down. Look at Boston, they realized that they aren't a contender and started to rebuild. I'm not saying its going to work but at least they are trying. Holland just keeps everyone around forever (and brings back Cleary)because he's afraid to do anything. Once Babcock left, it was time to gut the team and like I keep on saying, it would be in the fan's best interests to be horrible this year and end the playoff streak. Changes need to be made.

utvolsfan

Oct 24, 2015
If I could make one move, it would be to go out and either aquire someone with some bite to their game, or go for the fourth line rebuild and make my fourth line wings Bertuzzi and Callahan. This team has no bite to their game what's so ever.

Just look at the Calgary game, a guy leaves his feet and takes out Green, then a goof goes head hunting on Larkin, and then someone head hunts Quincy and no one said boo. I understand that tough guys need to be able to play, but someone needs to have a pair and stand up for a teammate. The same player can go out and change a game with a big hit or by pounding an opposing player. I'm sick of all the poodles, I want a rottweiler on this team, not just a goon but someone with some balls

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Holland exploring the trade market.

bush-upside-down-phone.jpg

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Say they turn it around and finish at an 8th seed and lose in the first round again. Whats the point. We are not even close to being a contender and we are going downhill. Our star players are old and beaten down. Look at Boston, they realized that they aren't a contender and started to rebuild. I'm not saying its going to work but at least they are trying. Holland just keeps everyone around forever (and brings back Cleary)because he's afraid to do anything. Once Babcock left, it was time to gut the team and like I keep on saying, it would be in the fan's best interests to be horrible this year and end the playoff streak. Changes need to be made.

I think there's still good chance we could win the cup if things work out to be right. IMO throwing towel at this point is extremely premature. Right now things can go one way or the other and Wings have alot of fight/good hockey left in them. Say they win couple of games in truly dominating fashion, would you still support total rebuild? Things can often look very bad looking at short stretch and there's no need to make a conclusive statement about the team one way or the other right now.

IF and that is a huge if, we are going for nuclear scorched earth, we should do it when it is beyond evident that Wings are bottom 5 regardless whether we try hard or not. And still then, teams often rebound after a season in parity NHL era so that should be factored in as well.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I find it hilarious people's knee jerk is to fire Ken Holland. The guy has been the glue to this teams success the past 2+ decades. Just made the finals in 2009.

If DRWs had to rebuild like TML and EDM is doing or like CHI had to do, then I'd lose respect for this organization and franchise. It would literally make me sick knowing Red Wings franchise had to rebuild the gutless way. I would rather watch this mediocre team over being a gutless franchise that takes the submissive cowards way out in rebuilding only to appease impatient and unreasonable fans with no vision or understanding.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Knee jerk reaction? This has been building for several years now. The Wings have been slowly dying the past several seasons and Ken Holland has been asleep at the wheel the entire time.

Doesn't trade roster players of any significance. Roster stagnation has been one of the Wings biggest weaknesses. The status quo has not been good enough for a long time, but Holland acts like the Wings only need a tune up instead of a complete overhaul.

Now people cling to Dylan Larkin as if he is going to fix the Wings defense.

You know another team that has a bunch of highly touted forwards with abysmal defense? The Edmonton Oilers.

The Wings defense has been awful. Babcock along with Z/D were the reason it looked above average.

Take away Babcock and Datsyuk and we see how pitiful the blue line really is.

Do people expect the Wings to turn into a top ten team once Datsyuk is healthy along with the blue line?

They will still be a middling team with no chance at winning the cup.

Parity doesn't mean mediocre teams can contend for the cup.

Last edited:

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
If DRWs had to rebuild like TML and EDM is doing or like CHI had to do, then I'd lose respect for this organization and franchise. It would literally make me sick knowing Red Wings franchise had to rebuild the gutless way. I would rather watch this mediocre team over being a gutless franchise that takes the submissive cowards way out in rebuilding only to appease impatient and unreasonable fans with no vision or understanding.
Yeah, Chicago fans have it so rough knowing that their team sucked once upon a time.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Knee jerk reaction?

And it's been 9 games with a brand new head coach. Lol

Without 2 top 4 dman and no Pavel f***** Datsyuk (needless to say no Richards or Franzen). This is a new team with 7 new injected players along with the new head coach and system with a whopping 9 game sample size.

Yup, that's the true definition of a knee jerk reaction. :laugh:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
And it's been 9 games with a brand new head coach. Lol

Without 2 top 4 dman and no Pavel f***** Datsyuk (needless to say no Richards or Franzen). This is a new team with 7 new injected players along with the new head coach and system with a whopping 9 game sample size.

Yup, that's the true definition of a knee jerk reaction. :laugh:

Only if you look at the past 9 games in a vacuum. But those don't really exist outside of space and science labs.

These are reactions to 5 years of being canaries in a coal mine, and now the chickens are seemingly coming home to roost. Oh, if only I had one more bird analogy.

EDIT: Here's one. Ken Holland's body of work addressing the D over the past 5 years.

035ostrich_468x538.jpg

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, Chicago fans have it so rough knowing that their team sucked once upon a time.

I was so proud watching the Wings get outshot 30-5 with 8:40 left in the second period against the Canes, a pretty mediocre hockey club. And everyone other than Datsyuk was healthy during that game! And that last game against the Canes when it was being compared to ECHL hockey, it sent tingles down my spine!! :sarcasm:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I was so proud watching the Wings get outshot 30-5 with 8:40 left in the second period against the Canes, a pretty mediocre hockey club. And everyone other than Datsyuk was healthy during that game! And that last game against the Canes when it was being compared to ECHL hockey, it sent tingles down my spine!! :sarcasm:

Yeah but remember the playoff streak?????? They also took the eventual EC champs to game seven. Look how good they are!!!!!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Only if you look at the past 9 games in a vacuum. But those don't really exist outside of space and science labs.

These are reactions to 5 years of being canaries in a coal mine, and now the chickens are seemingly coming home to roost. Oh, if only I had one more bird analogy.

EDIT: Here's one. Ken Holland's body of work addressing the D over the past 5 years.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_04/035ostrich_468x538./IMG][/QUOTE]

Seems it is your head in the sand...

The past 5 years:

[URL="http://www.freep.com/article/20120703/SPORTS05/120703029"]Ryan Suter[/URL]

[URL="http://detroit.sbnation.com/detroit-red-wings/2012/7/9/3147649/red-wings-trade-rumors-jay-bouwmeester"]Jay Bouwmeester[/URL]

[URL="http://www.thescore.com/news/513255"]Alex Edler[/URL]

Tyler Myers and etc...

[B]Ken Holland did score[/B] the dman DRWs fans wanted in Mike Green for free no less.

[B]Ken Holland did score[/B] one of the most coveted young dman back in 2012 danny dekeyser for free no less

The only thing Ken Holland is guilty of is not overpaying and selling the future. If you had your way, Dylan Larkin would be playing for Buffalo Sabres right now. Yeah that seems like a brilliant game plan :rolleyes:

You can go back to burying your head in the sand after believing/echoing what everyone on a message board tells you instead of following the facts and being free minded with a actual free minded opinion on facts, not what you're being spoon fed into believing.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Here are some facts.

Three first round exits over the past four seasons.

The Wings lost one of the best coaches in hockey.

Jonathan Ericsson still has four more years left on his contract.

Patel Datsyuk's contract ends in two more years.

The Wings don't have any defenseman in the pipeline that aren't 4-5 years away from even making the team, and probably several more before they help the Wings get better.

The future is bright!

But by all means pat Kenny on the back for finally finding a competent replacement for Brian Rafalski.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Here are some facts.

Three first round exits over the past four seasons.

The Wings lost one of the best coaches in hockey.

Jonathan Ericsson still has four more years left on his contract.

Patel Datsyuk's contract ends in two more years.

The Wings don't have any defenseman in the pipeline that aren't 4-5 years away from even making the team, and probably several more before they help the Wings get better.

The future is bright!

I remember hearing almost the same exact **** when Bowman retired. Can you try coming up with something a little more original?

But by all means pat Kenny on the back for finally finding a competent replacement for Brian Rafalski.

Funny how it was all doom and gloom after Bowman left and yet you are referring to a player Ken Holland acquired after Bowman left to start a new era. But apparently Ken Holland can't do it again since it's been 6 years since the last finals appearance in a salary cap world and no top 10 picks.

Wow dejavu all over again.

Last edited:

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Yeah but remember the playoff streak?????? They also took the eventual EC champs to game seven. Look how good they are!!!!!

Don't forget in 2013, we took the Blackhawks to game 7. This team needs to beg Steve Yzerman to come back and take over. Its amazing not only how sorry we've become as a franchise but the type of contracts that are out there for garbage. Holland bringing back Cleary for the last 3 years is all that needs to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad