Armchair GMs: What moves would you make to maximize the roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So let me get this straight. The Jets are pretty much in the running for the top spot in the West and Buff is their top scoring d-man. With this clearly being the case they are going to trade him at the trade deadline rather than use him to give their team the best shot at making a nice playoff run? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

If Vatanen is available he's a guy who makes more sense to me. This defense has zero puck movers right now. Add a healthy Green to the mix as well as Vatanen and you possibly start to look like a puck possession team once again. Sure he's a munchkin but we have plenty of lumbering defensive d-men on the squad. We need skill and if Vatanen is available he is a large upgrade over what we currently have.

Every thing on that site is pure speculative, No one is saying that Byfuglien is definitely going to be moved at the trade deadline.

We all know that Winnipeg is one of the better teams in the west right now. And there's no way that Chevy is going to move Buff if their playoff contenders.

Buff right now is one of their better players and it's obvious he's going no where should the Jets make the playoffs and if Chevy doesn't resign Buff then we can assume that they will let him walk at free agency time.

And I agree that Sami Vatanen should be the one that Holland should pursue if he becomes available I agree we need a puck moving defenceman and Vatanen fits that bill to a tee so did Sekera when the Oilers signed him Holland should've pursued Sekera as well but he wanted Green. So there's that. But no one expects Buff to go any where if the Jets are in the running for a playoff spot that's just crazy.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
So let me get this straight. The Jets are pretty much in the running for the top spot in the West and Buff is their top scoring d-man. With this clearly being the case they are going to trade him at the trade deadline rather than use him to give their team the best shot at making a nice playoff run? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

From their perspective, they aren't likely to re-sign him due to the contract he will command. It is better for them to get some value out of him in a trade than to let him walk for nothing.

The only way they keep him is if they think they are serious cup contenders and want to kind of go "all in" this year. Their performance this year will determine what they do.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
From their perspective, they aren't likely to re-sign him due to the contract he will command. It is better for them to get some value out of him in a trade than to let him walk for nothing.

The only way they keep him is if they think they are serious cup contenders and want to kind of go "all in" this year. Their performance this year will determine what they do.

I think if they're sniffing a playoff spot at all, they hang onto the big guy. Hang onto him, make as hard a push as they can, then look to deal him before free agency hits to at least get a pick back

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think if they're sniffing a playoff spot at all, they hang onto the big guy. Hang onto him, make as hard a push as they can, then look to deal him before free agency hits to at least get a pick back

Yeah, all this talk about Buff completely ignores the fact the Jets are trying to win. And if the Red Wings are trading for him, so are they and won't gut a useful roster player. When is the last time two playoff teams swapped a top pairing defender and a top 6 player? And we're also talking about Ken "hold fast" Holland.

Things get more interesting if the Jets fall hard and the Wings regain form. We'll see. So far nothing is a given there.

Similarly, moves like Shattenkirk happen in the off-season. The Blues are 6-2-1 in a cutthroat competitive division. Coincidentally, the same one the Jets are trying to make it in.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Yeah, all this talk about Buff completely ignores the fact the Jets are trying to win. And if the Red Wings are trading for him, so are they and won't gut a useful roster player. When is the last time two playoff teams swapped a top pairing defender and a top 6 player? And we're also talking about Ken "hold fast" Holland.

Things get more interesting if the Jets fall hard and the Wings regain form. We'll see. So far nothing is a given there.

Similarly, moves like Shattenkirk happen in the off-season. The Blues are 6-2-1 in a cutthroat competitive division. Coincidentally, the same one the Jets are trying to make it in.

I liken Ken Holland to a gambler who only plays roulette, and he bets an equal amount on black and white, and hopes the dealer eventually gives him an extra chip on accident.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It is, after all, as easy to trade players in real life as it is in NHL 16. If he's available to you, that means you definitely get him.

Hamilton was very easy. Teams trade within divisons.

Vancouver/Anaheim
Chicago/Dallas

because both thought it would make their team better.

spost

Oct 12, 2014
What would you guys say to one of Polak or Wideman? Maybe both?

In a ideal world, we could swap them for Quincey, Kindl, Big E, Smith but Calgary is looking for secondary scoring (reportedly) and I have no idea what Toronto might want.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

If St. Louis fall well short again, I wouldn't be surprised to see them restructure a bit. Of course, they could do that by just letting some guys walk over the summer (Backes, Ott). A number of their guys are getting to that age, though, where if they aren't getting it done with that team, they aren't going to get it done. Not saying they will never win it, but that group just may not have what it takes to get over the hump.

Unless a team (Columbus?) really crashes and burns, I doubt we'll see much big movement until January. With how tight the league, no one is going to want to sell short on their playoff chances, and it's not like the market is going to dry up over night.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
It would probably be a little too risky since the Stephen Weiss thing, but man if Backes is still anything like he used to be I would love to see him play in Detroit.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It would probably be a little too risky since the Stephen Weiss thing, but man if Backes is still anything like he used to be I would love to see him play in Detroit.

Would much prefer the focus be on D. The wings forward group can hold their own but the team is going nowhere with this D and the last several seasons have been a waste rolling with it.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013

Don't tease!! Backes would be a nice bit of grit and talent up front. I agree the D needs a face-lift though. Vantanen, Ellis, maybe someone like Schenn would be a needed upgrade.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Would much prefer the focus be on D. The wings forward group can hold their own but the team is going nowhere with this D and the last several seasons have been a waste rolling with it.

I agree with that. I just think the defense needs to be gutted and that's the most un-Ken Holland thing possible. Adding Backes for a few seasons if Richards is on the way out would be cool with me.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Don't tease!! Backes would be a nice bit of grit and talent up front. I agree the D needs a face-lift though. Vantanen, Ellis, maybe someone like Schenn would be a needed upgrade.

Never thought too much of Ellis but he's grown on me a lot. More competent defensively each year and is fairly cerebral - a smaller version of what Smith was supposed to be. A third pairing of Ericsson-Ellis could be great.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

Luke Schenn? I admittedly don't watch many Philly games but Flyers fans make it seem like Schenn doesn't know how to hockey.

Vatanen would be interesting if he is indeed available, though I reckon he'd cost something that would hurt to give up.

Either way if KH does trade for a D man (lol yeah right) one or more of Kindl/Smith/Ericsson need to go.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Never thought too much of Ellis but he's grown on me a lot. More competent defensively each year and is fairly cerebral - a smaller version of what Smith was supposed to be. A third pairing of Ericsson-Ellis could be great.

Yes to Ellis.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If St. Louis fall well short again, I wouldn't be surprised to see them restructure a bit. Of course, they could do that by just letting some guys walk over the summer (Backes, Ott). A number of their guys are getting to that age, though, where if they aren't getting it done with that team, they aren't going to get it done. Not saying they will never win it, but that group just may not have what it takes to get over the hump.

Unless a team (Columbus?) really crashes and burns, I doubt we'll see much big movement until January. With how tight the league, no one is going to want to sell short on their playoff chances, and it's not like the market is going to dry up over night.

thats what St louis fans and most people have been saying about st louis for years and years? when will it end?

well.. If they don't get it done this year... Ken Hitchcock still has a job. Even thoug hit may not be his fault a change is needed. and They probably got worse over the offseason by Trading oshie for nobody.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

I think Backes is a decent/good player. But for some reason last year people loved him soo much it was almost stupid. Lol backes for selke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad