Armchair GMs: What moves would you make to maximize the roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
I think the biggest thing that the OP should realize is Pulkk is currently at his lowest trade value. He is without wavier exemption, he's got a lot of talent, but there are still questions if it can translate to the NHL. He is also at some of his highest potential value for the Wings. He has a very low cost contract and has a lot of talent. This, coupled with a few **** contracts for older/expendable players, allows the Wings to have a deeper team without having cap problems.

I agree completely. Which is why I'd be personally more inclined to move Nyquist or Tatar (more regrettably).

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Integral: Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Kronwall, Dekeyser, Green

Immediate Trade Block: Helm, Quincey, Pulkkinen, Howard, 1st round pick (<<<but ONLY for defenseman)

16-17 Roster

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Jurco-Larkin-Mantha
Bertuzzi-Glendening-Ferraro
Extras: Andersson, Callahan

Kronwall-E/Smith (<<<ideally trade acquisition)
Dekeyser-Green
Ouellet-Jensen
Extra: Marchenko

-Mrazek
-Vet UFA Backup

Casualties: Helm, Sproul, Miller, Quincey, Howard

17-18 Roster

Zetterberg-Larkin-Mantha
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Bertuzzi-Athanasiou/Homer-Jurco
Nastasiuk-Glendening-Ferraro
Extras: Nosek, Callahan

Kronwall-UFA or Trade
Dekeyser-Green
Ouellet-Jensen
Extra: Marchenko

-Mrazek
-Paterson/Vet UFA Backup

Casualties: Abdelkader, Ericsson (hopefully)

Doubtful. A 1st rounder would need to be included in there somewhere. But I wouldn't trade Nyquist or Tatar at this point, personally.

Can't see how Abdelkader would be a casualty by the 2017-18 season considering that Holland would be signing him long term. He wont sign him play him one year and then trade him. That would be counterproductive.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
We have more than enough prospects/players to fill out our top six 5 years from now... we need a #1D. Trade some guys and give up some assets to acquire one. We will go nowhere without an elite defenseman on our back end. Look at Anaheim, and then laugh at them as they lose in the WCF again.

Larkin should be the only untouchable.. hes the center we build around.

players i'd have no issue with moving in order to acquire a #1D

- Nyquist
- Tatar
- Pulkkinen
- Helm
- Andersson
- Bertuzzi
- Mantha
- Svechnikov
- Jurco
- Holmstrom
- Ouellet
- Marchenko
- Sproul

Hell, trade some draft picks too... getting a #1D is way more valuable than a 1st round draft pick

We need our drew doughty, our Duncan keith, our erik karlsson, our subban.... **** it bring lidas back

proposal: Nyquist + Svechnikov + Helm + Marchenko + Sproul + 1st and 2nd round draft pick for Justin Faulk.

Sadly that still probably isn't enough

------------------------------------------

5 years from now our lines would be

Mantha-Larkin-Bertuzzi

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Pulkkinen-Holmstrom-Abdelkader

Ferarro-Glendening-Callahan

Faulk-???

DeKeyser - Sarijarvi

Smith-Ouellet

As a GM I will draft a bunch of defensemen to help fill out the gaps in the dcore

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Can't see how Abdelkader would be a casualty by the 2017-18 season considering that Holland would be signing him long term. He wont sign him play him one year and then trade him. That would be counterproductive.

It's an Armchair GM thread dude... that means WE are the GM, hypothetically.

And I rule with an iron fist ;)

I think the biggest thing that the OP should realize is Pulkk is currently at his lowest trade value. He is without wavier exemption, he's got a lot of talent, but there are still questions if it can translate to the NHL. He is also at some of his highest potential value for the Wings. He has a very low cost contract and has a lot of talent. This, coupled with a few **** contracts for older/expendable players, allows the Wings to have a deeper team without having cap problems.

Pulkkinen is a good young player. I would ONLY trade him if he could be packaged with a 1st or 2nd round pick and prospect to land a defenseman. Otherwise, I'd be more than happy keeping him. I think he has some value around the league though, I know several teams have been interested in him at one point or another.

I'd get rid of any up and coming wings before Nyquist and Tatar, including Mantha and Jurco. Nyquist and Tatar are proven, young, and on pretty good deals IMO. Not saying they are untouchable, but I have to get a really legit defenseman coming back for me to part with them. They are currently what we hope all these other prospects become.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Okay you're the boss.:)

Lol. I like Abby, I just look at who I project to be top 9 forwards by 17-18 and he kind of gets squeezed out for me. And a lot of our prospects coming up have some size, so then his need is kind of diminished IMO.

But I'm sure in real life he is here for the long haul, and I'm more than cool with that. Just in my ideal world I would try to stack that top 9 with skill and am hoping some of these young guys are taking big steps too. Won't deny it's an idealistic take on the roster.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Lol. I like Abby, I just look at who I project to be top 9 forwards by 17-18 and he kind of gets squeezed out for me. And a lot of our prospects coming up have some size, so then his need is kind of diminished IMO.

But I'm sure in real life he is here for the long haul, and I'm more than cool with that. Just in my ideal world I would try to stack that top 9 with skill and am hoping some of these young guys are taking big steps too. Won't deny it's an idealistic take on the roster.

Lol I agree with what you're saying just giving you a hard time here.

And I agree that Abby will be here in the long haul a Michigan kid Michigan State product plus Holland likes him big time.

But I like what you're doing nothing wrong about adding good depth to your lines. That's what we all want.

francis should be fired if he trades faulk for anything less than larkin ++.

You got that right, Pretty sure it would cost us Larkin ++ to get Shattenkirk out of Saint Louis as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
I would build/transition around:

-Datsyuk
-Zetterberg
-Nyquist
-Tatar
-Larkin
-Kronwall
-Dekeyser
-Green

Nyquist is the only one in this top group I would be ok with letting go in a package deal to land a top2 defenseman. I know he and Tatar put up similar numbers last season but I feel like I didn't notice Nyquist as much. I just like the energy Tatar brings. Both need to take it to the next level though. If both crack 60+ pts and contribute more in the playoffs then I'd of course want to keep both.

Shop/Release: Everyone else for the purposes of acquiring a top2 defenseman. Sheahan I'd probably keep since Richards isn't a long term solution for 2nd line center and Svechnikov (if he even becomes a center) won't be ready for some time.

We kinda need Sheahan there depthwise while Larkin moves up.

Defense: Trade Quincey. Keep 1 of Ericsson/Smith/Kindl and bring up the kids for bottom pairing spot and the extra spot. This is assuming we've acquired a top2 defenseman.

I think at some point you have to look at trading Howard. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems easier for goalie prospects to come into the league and hold their own. I have no idea what return Howard would command though.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I am willing to trade anyone. The Wings current core of Z/D/Kronwall is no longer good enough to contend for a cup. All your moves need to be made towards building a contender in the future.

I sure as **** don't sign players like Brad Richards or any other veteran that has a 1-2 year shelf life on the Wings.

Trade Ericsson for a black ice air freshener.
Trade Q for anything.
Waive or trade Joker.
Ban Dan Cleary from Joe Louis Arena
Waive or trade Kindl

Do not re-sign Helm or Gator.

Give Larkin and any other prospect a legitimate chance of making the team if they prove themselves at training camp.

Full on rebuild/youth movement. I don't care to see the Wings waste another season and more draft picks on some delusional belief that simply making the playoffs = contender. It won't be pretty, but i would rather have the quick death over the slow one.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Keep this forward core...

Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Pulkkinen
Svechnikov - AA - Mantha
Jurco - Glendening - Ferraro/Nastasiuk

... Then trade:

Smith + Nosek + Sproul + hicketts + holmström + pick <> Proven RhD.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Keep this forward core...

Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Pulkkinen
Svechnikov - AA - Mantha
Jurco - Glendening - Ferraro/Nastasiuk

... Then trade:

Nosek + Sproul + hicketts + holmström + pick <> Proven RhD.

Sheahan will probably never be a 1st line on a contending team. Svechnikov and Larkin are much more likely to center the top lines with Sheahan on the third line and AA moved to wing or traded.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Well looking into what I would consider.

Sheahan probably has higher value than what he could develop into. Move him on and slot in AA.

Quincey/Ericsson could both be moved for a middling pick to a team screaming for defence. Replace one with Jensen and trade for another higher quality defence man. Included in package could be Kindl/Marchenko/Sproul/

So let's say Sheahan + 1st + 2 2nds+ Helm for a top 2 defender. That should get some biters.

This leaves Larkin, Athanasiou, and Schenikov to move up and actually have room to. It gives Jensen and Oullete room to move. Gives Pulkinnen time to play. Doesn't significantly weaken any where in our team.

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
We should be in "WIN NOW MODE" !!

...as D, Z & Kronner enter the final years of their careers...i.e. even if Z plays another 4-5 years, he gets less effective etc..

call up Marchenko & Ouellet

Win the cup now & acquire a #2 (BUFF) or ideally a future #1 Dman;

acquire BUFFLyguin

trade/package: Kindl & Smith
Sproul (probably won't reach potential)
Jensen (too small, but looks good);
& add picks 1st/2nd + & B-level prospects as needed
I love Helm, but if it meant getting Buff/#2 RHD, I'd do it today.

expose Howard & Big E in expansion draft. (or trade both if there are any takers)

dump Cleary asap or assign to GR permanently & don't resign, please.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

...as D, Z & Kronner enter the final years of their careers...i.e. even if Z plays another 4-5 years, he gets less effective etc..

call up Marchenko & Ouellet

Win the cup now & acquire a #2 (BUFF) or ideally a future #1 Dman;

acquire BUFFLyguin

trade/package: Kindl & Smith
Sproul (probably won't reach potential)
Jensen (too small, but looks good);
& add picks 1st/2nd + & B-level prospects as needed
I love Helm, but if it meant getting Buff/#2 RHD, I'd do it today.

expose Howard & Big E in expansion draft. (or trade both if there are any takers)

dump Cleary asap or assign to GR permanently & don't resign, please.

Who cares if Z, Dats and Kronwall are close to retirement? They have their rings. They need to be building to contend long term.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Pulkkinen, Quincey, and a first for... whatever RD that gets you. Sprinkle in prospect defensemen if necessary.

The Wings don't need to draft more forwards. The Wings do a questionable job of drafting defensemen, and you won't see a first round defenseman for a good 4 years minimum. The Wings don't really need more goalies, and certainly not in the first round.

Green light to trade the pick, from my perspective.

Last edited:

DATS-O-MATIC

Nov 23, 2004
Who cares if Z, Dats and Kronwall are close to retirement? They have their rings. They need to be building to contend long term.

yes, a total of 4 cup rings between D/Z/Kronner...let them go out on a winning note; we could've won 1 more with Lidstrom in '09 or '10 if KH had been a bit more aggressive in the trade market;

also we don't have any #1C's or #1/2/3 Dmen in our system, so we need this cup.

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
yes, a total of 4 cup rings between D/Z/Kronner...let them go out on a winning note; we could've won 1 more with Lidstrom in '09 or '10 if KH had been a bit more aggressive in the trade market;

also we don't have any #1C's or #1/2/3 Dmen in our system, so we need this cup.

Agree on the Dmen, but we have two potential #1 centers in Larkin and Svechnikov.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pulkkinen, Quincey, and a first for... whatever RD that gets you. Sprinkle in prospect defensemen if necessary.

The Wings don't need to draft more forwards. The Wings do a questionable job of drafting defensemen, and you won't see a first round defenseman for a good 4 years minimum. The Wings don't really need more goalies, and certainly not in the first round.

Green light to trade the pick, from my perspective.

Have said this for two years and I do like Svechnikov. Still the value being placed on a first rounder for this team is a bit high for me right now. If you can land and extend a guy like Buff, you move it in a heartbeat. We have a dynamite pool, yes adding another piece would be nice, but it is a luxury and one if the right thing is available at the NHL level it needs to be done.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Team is at a weird spot where all of the best players are past being truly valuable as trade chips and the younger players are mostly too young/ too unproven/ not enough pedigree (not top 5/10 picks) to be worth that much outside of Larkin

I'd probably just cut dead weight, specifically Quincey and Kindl, see what the team has in Ouellet and Marchenko, and move forward from there this season

Ferraro probably makes Miller expendable next offseason, save ~$500k there
Glendening makes Helm expendable next offseason, save millions there
Maybe bring back Abdelkader depending on contract

Pay DeKeyser a lot (Most of Quincey's $4.25 goes to this raise, DK makes ~$5M)
Give Sheahan a healthy bridge deal (Miller's money and some of Helm's money, he makes ~$3MAAV)
Give Pulkkinen his kind-of bridge deal of ~$1M for 2 seasons

Actually give the kids a real chance to make the team to see what we have and what we need

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad