Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I see Frolik on the 2nd line to just matchup against the Bergeron line tomorrow, although Czarnik has been adequate defensively so far.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
960 was saying yesterday that it’s unlikely Monahan plays Wednesday due to unknown injury, likely from a shot block.... what do lines look like? I’m hoping something like...

JG - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Neal
Dube - Jankowski - Czarnik
Frolik - Ryan - Hathaway

I feel like I’m forgetting someone though...
Monahan was back practicing today, yesterday was listed as a maintenance day but Peters said whatever was bothering him cleared up quickly.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I admire Monahan's heart but his propensity to play through injuries could have serious ramifications for his career and well-being later on

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I admire Monahan's heart but his propensity to play through injuries could have serious ramifications for his career later on
This is sensationalist garbage. If he was going to make things worse, the team wouldn't let him play. The injuries he has played through, are ones that weren't going to worsen with use. In that situation it comes down to being able to play through pain and when the best time to miss action, now or later.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is sensationalist garbage. If he was going to make things worse, the team wouldn't let him play. The injuries he has played through, are ones that weren't going to worsen with use. In that situation it comes down to being able to play through pain and when the best time to miss action, now or later.
I don't want to pretend like I'm a doctor but based on Monahan's account of his wrist issues, he should've been shut down weeks before he actually was. He literally said that his wrist eventually felt like just "a piece of rubber" and could barely even shoot the puck

What was going to happen if we actually made the playoffs? Another 8ish regular season games plus 4 playoff games, plus practice. That's playing with fire.

Not to mention the hernia and back problems he's had too

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't want to pretend like I'm a doctor but based on Monahan's account of his wrist issues, he should've been shut down weeks before he actually was. He literally said that his wrist eventually felt like just "a piece of rubber" and could barely even shoot the puck

What was going to happen if we actually made the playoffs? Another 8ish regular season games plus 4 playoff games, plus practice. That's playing with fire.

Not to mention the hernia and back problems he's had too
Just because his wrist felt a certain way, does not mean usage will make it worse. Which is my entire point.

DOCTORS WILL NOT CLEAR A PLAYER WHOSE INJURIES WILL WORSEN WITH USE

His "back problems" were one preseason injury that cost him training camp. There is literally no reason to even be mentioning it abymore.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Just because his wrist felt a certain way, does not mean usage will make it worse. Which is my entire point.

DOCTORS WILL NOT CLEAR A PLAYER WHOSE INJURIES WILL WORSEN WITH USE
Well, the rehab gets harder and harder the more you push through something like that, to the point where a full recovery might not be possible.

I think the Flames wanted to shut him down earlier than it actually happened, but Monahan pushed through it while they were still technically in the playoff picture.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well, the rehab gets harder and harder the more you push through something like that, to the point where a full recovery might not be possible.

I think the Flames wanted to shut him down earlier than it actually happened, but Monahan pushed through it while they were still technically in the playoff picture.
the bolded 100% depends on the injury, it's not simply a blanket statement you can make. If there was any concern of Monahan's wrist sustaining any kind of permanent or long-term damage, he would have been put under the knife at the time, not 2-3 years later.

For example I've needed knee surgery for over 4 years now, I have damage to my MCL. I have been told that while surgery would fix it, walking around and living my every day life won't do any long term damage. So as long as I can withstand the pain, I don't have to go under the knife.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Poor dude used to skate with Johnny Gaudreau and he sells insurance now.

At least he got a free ride through college. Imagine being some random WHL washout instead.

I see Frolik on the 2nd line to just matchup against the Bergeron line tomorrow, although Czarnik has been adequate defensively so far.

This is one of those exceptionally rare cases where I'm going to say this, but it would be nice to have Lindholm on that line for his faceoffs. Anything to reduce the Bergeron line's dominance, even if it's just taking one shot away from them.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
WTF is this even a discussion???

Monahan and Backlund missed a day of practice where the game isn't happening for 3????

I mean that's all we have to B*tch about. Must be a good season.

Dube didn't skate today.... Maybe he is dieing?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Monahan and Backlund missed a day of practice where the game isn't happening for 3????

laughing-gifs-foolish-human.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Dying***

Dube has missed multiple practices recently and was questionable for one game, so it would be more reasonable to question if he's going to play

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Dying***

Dube has missed multiple practices recently and was questionable for one game, so it would be more reasonable to question if he's going to play

TAKE BACK BUTTON -- Learned something knew today. Rarely spelled dying as it was more a pattern of speech. Guess it will get thrown in with mute point-- moot point... irregardless -- regardless... and unthaw -- thaw

WWE it was more a bit of sarcasm to highlight some of the straws that were being grasped at. None of the 3 that were mentioned are likely to hit the IR anytime soon from the injuries they are battling through.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
TAKE BACK BUTTON -- Learned something knew today. Rarely spelled dying as it was more a pattern of speech. Guess it will get thrown in with mute point-- moot point... irregardless -- regardless... and unthaw -- thaw

WWE it was more a bit of sarcasm to highlight some of the straws that were being grasped at. None of the 3 that were mentioned are likely to hit the IR anytime soon from the injuries they are battling through.
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.

So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness.

You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.

So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness.

You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

It’s just water under the fridge

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I might have some kind of disease from reading this now.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

You maeka da engrish sownd so fansy and alt. Spectacular.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

It’s just water under the fridge

You maeka da engrish sownd so fansy and alt. Spectacular.

giphy.gif

I did like the trailer park boys reference though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad