Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: Long long journey through the darkness, where is our goalie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.

So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness.

You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

This has to be one of the best posts on HF that I’ve read :laugh:

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite.

So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness.

You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

Wow, that was mind bottling.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

intriguing_spock.gif

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
To bring things back to the thread title I have given it some thought and the only thing I think the Flames are missing from being a long term contender is prospects developing in the AHL. Tre needs to load up on some draft picks and promising college and euro UFA's.

The more I watch the team play the more I believe the Flames have everything in-house to win the cup. I know it is early but I am just sayin'

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
To bring things back to the thread title I have given it some thought and the only thing I think the Flames are missing from being a long term contender is prospects developing in the AHL. Tre needs to load up on some draft picks and promising college and euro UFA's.

The more I watch the team play the more I believe the Flames have everything in-house to win the cup. I know it is early but I am just sayin'
I still think our goal tending is suspect (smith looked mediocre last night IMO, defense was great though). I am very much starting to believe in this forward and D group though- they've already adapted through injuries at D and are looking great, we have good forward depth and are getting scoring from different lines, and our top line looks pretty dominant. All in all a much different outlook on the team than at any time in the last 2 years. If we can somehow come into a long term goalie situation I will be a very happy fan.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I still think our goal tending is suspect (smith looked mediocre last night IMO, defense was great though). I am very much starting to believe in this forward and D group though- they've already adapted through injuries at D and are looking great, we have good forward depth and are getting scoring from different lines, and our top line looks pretty dominant. All in all a much different outlook on the team than at any time in the last 2 years. If we can somehow come into a long term goalie situation I will be a very happy fan.

I agree, in the long term.
I think this year, you're married to Smith; this team will go as far as he goes right now. I think the goalie thing is something you look at in the summer as an upgrade area. If Smith goes down to injury, you have to bring in a vet. There's some floating around still, and there's guys you'll be able to pick up when the time comes; they also tend to be the cheapest asset to acquire at the deadline (because people are only getting backups).

I like this team a lot. They have dominated play for the past 6 games.
The only games they gave up more scoring chances than surrendered, where games they went up by 3 goals (which is expected). Outside of that, they've been dominant against good teams. This isn't a situation where Calgary played a bunch of C grade teams, they've beaten 2 cup favourites, 1 playoff team and split a decision at the start of the year.

Honestly, in terms of this season... I really don't know what this team needs. When everyone's healthy I'd like to see:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik/Czarnik
Bennett - Dube - Neal
Jankowski - Ryan - Czarnik/Frolik
Peluso

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Hamonic
Stone

Smith
Rittich

The only thing I could see the Flames going out and getting is someone to be a better 13th forward.

Reactions: Flameshomer

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Can’t help but wonder if Schneider might become available if kinkaid continues his solid run. He was great for the devils last year as well

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Can’t help but wonder if Schneider might become available if kinkaid continues his solid run. He was great for the devils last year as well
I would have jumped at Schneider in the past, but the last 2 seasons he has looked pretty mediocre, his contract is for 4 more years at 6 million and he's already 32... Add some injury history in there and it makes him pretty unappealing.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
What about making a run for Aaron Dell? He has a few years of very solid numbers and the new pads don't seem to be hurting him as much as some other goalies around the league. Not sure SJ would be motivated to move him, just a thought.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
What about making a run for Aaron Dell? He has a few years of very solid numbers and the new pads don't seem to be hurting him as much as some other goalies around the league. Not sure SJ would be motivated to move him, just a thought.

Like Dell a lot but you always have to pay a premium to acquire within the division. Same reason we couldn’t land Andersson

Reactions: Flameshomer

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What do you guy think about Joonas Korpisalo? He was on par with Saros but kind of fell back, would it be worth to take a gamble on him or are looking at a veteran?

How long would you wait to make a move for a goalie? Would you even make a move at a goalie?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
What do you guy think about Joonas Korpisalo? He was on par with Saros but kind of fell back, would it be worth to take a gamble on him or are looking at a veteran?

How long would you wait to make a move for a goalie? Would you even make a move at a goalie?

Columbus likely hangs onto Korpisalo until they know what is happening with Bobrovsky.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton

I would do all of the groundwork for a move now but wait and see with our current duo. Rittich has looked good in his time so far, but he turned into a pumpkin awful fast last year when given the net. Smith has looked so-so... hasn't won us any but has been more steady than, say, Elliott.

Dell, Schneider, Korpisalo... none really feel like major upgrades. Maybe Dell but the interdivision trade potential is low.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I agree, in the long term.
I think this year, you're married to Smith; this team will go as far as he goes right now. I think the goalie thing is something you look at in the summer as an upgrade area. If Smith goes down to injury, you have to bring in a vet. There's some floating around still, and there's guys you'll be able to pick up when the time comes; they also tend to be the cheapest asset to acquire at the deadline (because people are only getting backups).

I like this team a lot. They have dominated play for the past 6 games.
The only games they gave up more scoring chances than surrendered, where games they went up by 3 goals (which is expected). Outside of that, they've been dominant against good teams. This isn't a situation where Calgary played a bunch of C grade teams, they've beaten 2 cup favourites, 1 playoff team and split a decision at the start of the year.

Honestly, in terms of this season... I really don't know what this team needs. When everyone's healthy I'd like to see:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik/Czarnik
Bennett - Dube - Neal
Jankowski - Ryan - Czarnik/Frolik
Peluso

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Hamonic
Stone

Smith
Rittich

The only thing I could see the Flames going out and getting is someone to be a better 13th forward.

The only thing I disagree on is the third line.

• Bennett Jankowski Neal-- dominated possession against a very good Bruins team. From what I saw last night this line went toe-to-toe with Back's line for best line on the night. A little more chemistry and this line could give Calgary three lines off scoring doom for opposing teams.
  • IMO Dube should be sent to Stockton to make our PP better either later this year or next. Dube could use reps as the #1 line center in Stockton. Thus far Dube has not been dynamic in the Flames line-up and he needs to be moulded in that light. A difference maker.
  • Hathaway on the forth line gives Peters some grit when needed.

Reactions: Potty John
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad