Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: There are no solutions, only problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
A RHS in Andersson isn't replacing a LHS in Brodie under the current head coach.

As good as B. Tkachuk might end up being, he's just more of what the Flames don't need, i.e., left handed left winger. Especially if that's the cost, given something like that might bring back Kessel who'd be a much better fit.

Besides I really don't see Tkachuk having all that much upside. If you get the 2nd overall pick, you pick one of the two European wingers or Boqvist lol.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Although I don't expect most to agree with me I'd trade Monahan for Mark Stone with an extension. Monahan plays the more valuable position but Stone is the better player IMO.

I also think that if you team Gaudreau and Stone up it doesn't really matter who you play in between them you don't need a high end option, you can try Bennett, Jankowski and Backlund. If none of those guys can keep up with them you can find a mid tier guy who's good offensively like Bozak and have a line similar to Kane-Anisimov-Panarin.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I just want a new coaching staff. Then maybe trades.

Worst thing Treliving could do is go all in with this current group.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I just want a new coaching staff. Then maybe trades.

Worst thing Treliving could do is go all in with this current group.

I wouldn't mind moves; but we've already pushed our cards all in for the most part by trading away the first.
A hockey deal or a cheap upgrade I'm fine with. Prospects like Klimchuk, Porier, etc wouldn't make me lose sleep at all if they were moved for an upgrade somewhere on a cheap rental NHLer.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Although I don't expect most to agree with me I'd trade Monahan for Mark Stone with an extension. Monahan plays the more valuable position but Stone is the better player IMO.

I also think that if you team Gaudreau and Stone up it doesn't really matter who you play in between them you don't need a high end option, you can try Bennett, Jankowski and Backlund. If none of those guys can keep up with them you can find a mid tier guy who's good offensively like Bozak and have a line similar to Kane-Anisimov-Panarin.
I would do Monahan, Andersson+ for Tavares with an extension if the opportunity arose

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Flames have repeatedly and consistently shown they don't care about overpaying guys who play on their 4th line or 3rd pairing (Stajan, Engelland, Brouwer, Stone, etc). And I'm guessing Treliving doesn't project anyone in the system coming in and taking that fourth line centre spot next year. Probably thinks Smith can not only take that role, but has the ability to move up the line up when injuries strike. Or he's gone half Dutter and thinks Smith can replace Backlund.

Either way, it'd be a wholesale waste of assets given the Senators don't see Smith as a cap dump and actually want value for him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The Flames have repeatedly and consistently shown they don't care about overpaying guys who play on their 4th line or 3rd pairing (Stajan, Engelland, Brouwer, Stone, etc). And I'm guessing Treliving doesn't project anyone in the system coming in and taking that fourth line centre spot next year. Probably thinks Smith can not only take that role, but has the ability to move up the line up when injuries strike. Or he's gone half Dutter and thinks Smith can replace Backlund.

Either way, it'd be a wholesale waste of assets given the Senators don't see Smith as a cap dump and actually want value for him.

I'd be fine if we trade some term and dollar amount out; but sending assets over to Ottawa for Smith would be dumb. This team can't go all in, because they've shown they're not ready to go all in.

Reactions: Cyrano

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
No one should pay attention to a thing Garrioch says.

I normally would agree with you but it makes too much sense for this management group.

If we need anything it is a RW with offense for the top 6 but with a team that not only thinks that Stajan and Brouwer should be in the line-up each night but that they should be key guys adding a terrible contract for a guy that would struggle to be one of the teams top 12 forwards seems like a move right up the Flames alley.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Flames:
Gallagher
Alzner

Canadiens:
Brodie
Brouwer

Go hard after Neal in the offseason, gives us

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Gallagher
Mangiapane-Lazar-Ferland

Gio-Hamonic
Alzner-Hamilton
Kulak/Valimaki-Stone

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Flames:
Gallagher
Alzner

Canadiens:
Brodie
Brouwer

Apparently Alzner is terrible in Montreal. Gallagher is no better than Ferland

I wonder what is the market for Brodie.....I do not think the Flames can win with him as one of the main pieces. Too soft with too many brain farts

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Apparently Alzner is terrible in Montreal. Gallagher is no better than Ferland

I wonder what is the market for Brodie.....I do not think the Flames can win with him as one of the main pieces. Too soft with too many brain farts
I wasn’t thinking about Gallagher for the 1st line, they’re already too soft. I was thinking about jump starting the 3rd line, shedding a little cap and signing Neal for the 1st line. And yes, with equal linemates, Gallagher is much more talented than Ferland.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ferland will probably score 30 goals this year but isn't good enough for the first line, but rather is a 4th liner. Only in Calgary.

I'm not going to even touch the rest of that.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Ferland will probably score 30 goals this year but isn't good enough for the first line, but rather is a 4th liner. Only in Calgary.

He has improved a bit on the Cy Young stat line and made up a little ground in terms of his point total versus Monahan's goal total but he still is so far behind the other two on that line that it is certainly fair to wonder how much is it Ferland and how much is it just a product of being on that line with the other two guys carrying him.

It might not matter to some if he scores 30 how he got it but if it more of a case that anyone can produce as the 3rd guy on that line than Ferland can produce because he is talented then it is certainly worth looking at.

I don't think it is as big of a concern as it was last year or even at the start of this year but I think having a 3rd member of that line that can actually contribute to creating offense and maybe even help pick them up when they are in a slump would be nice and I haven't seen anything to indicate that Ferland can do either of those things.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Maroon got 27 last year and 42 points. I don’t think anyone is going to accuse him of being talented, outside of Edmonton. Much the same situation here, although Ferland is better.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I'm just floored that Monahan is finally playing like a complete player and there is this vocal group of fans who seem like they want to trade him at every opportunity (for Tavares, who's practically 30 already, or Stone, who as you mentioned is a winger).

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm just floored that Monahan is finally playing like a complete player and there is this vocal group of fans who seem like they want to trade him at every opportunity (for Tavares, who's practically 30 already, or Stone, who as you mentioned is a winger).

Im all aboard the keep Monahan boat but to be fair Tavares is just a better player and he has a lot of good years left. Stone makes no sense at all though, Mony’s our only top line center right now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We don't agree often, but this is one of those times. Especially when considering the contract Monahan is signed to.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Having read the hate for Monahan here from many I am not surprised.

Mark Stone for Monahan would be a god awful trade. Monahan is flat out a better player, younger and plays a more important role.

The first thing that happens when we trade Monahan is that fans start complaining about how we don't have a #1 center or a guy that can play with Gaudreau.

A top line of Gaudreau- Bennett Ferland or Stone would be incredibly frustrating to watch and as bad as we see the current top line go into slumps anytime Gaudreau was anything but 100% on that line would be trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad