Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: the madness continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That's a whole lot of quantity for Doughty. Kings can definitely get a lot more from a team like Philly, Toronto, and sadly, Edmonton.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
CGY Trades:
Travis Hamonic
Andrew Mangiapane
Rasmus Andersson
Morgan Klimchuk
(Maybe some more +? Poirier?)

L.A. Trades:
Drew Doughty

Why for L.A - Hamonic is also owed 3.857M x 3Y compared to Doughty 7M x 2Y so they open up some serious cap flexibility while retaining a guy considered to be a top pair defenseman. Balance out their top four defense with a Doughty-lite/Voynov-classy. Add a few NHL-ready forward prospects who can do that little scoring thing and add some speed to a team that hasn't had it in a while.

Muzzin-Hamonic
Martinez-Andersson

Why for Calgary:

Brodie-Doughty
Giordano-Hamilton

Just because that is awesome. Also guarantees some extra cap space in the Matthew Tkachuk / Sam Bennett / Micheal Ferland offseason, while opening the door for Adam Fox.

And then we trade Brodie+ to the team with the 1st overall pick and select Dahlin right?

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
And then we trade Brodie+ to the team with the 1st overall pick and select Dahlin right?

Nice attempt at a joke, but this proposal makes sense. I'm not even sure if the value is there for either side but I'm fine with sending those sorts of pieces to take a difference maker like Doughty.

I was actually thinking about it earlier wondering if Doughty and Gio's contracts ended somewhat close because you'd just easily spend Gio's salary on Doughty but Gio has 3 more years beyond when' Doughty hits free agency.

I could see the Flames being a place Doughty would want to play for, being what he'd see as cup contenders, but unfortunately timing probably wouldn't work.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
CGY Trades:
Travis Hamonic
Andrew Mangiapane
Rasmus Andersson
Morgan Klimchuk
(Maybe some more +? Poirier?)

L.A. Trades:
Drew Doughty

Why for L.A - Hamonic is also owed 3.857M x 3Y compared to Doughty 7M x 2Y so they open up some serious cap flexibility while retaining a guy considered to be a top pair defenseman. Balance out their top four defense with a Doughty-lite/Voynov-classy. Add a few NHL-ready forward prospects who can do that little scoring thing and add some speed to a team that hasn't had it in a while.

Muzzin-Hamonic
Martinez-Andersson

Why for Calgary:

Brodie-Doughty
Giordano-Hamilton

Just because that is awesome. Also guarantees some extra cap space in the Matthew Tkachuk / Sam Bennett / Micheal Ferland offseason, while opening the door for Adam Fox.

So LA is willing to pick up garbage to downgrade to save a few bucks?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't think that package brings back Doughty.

At the deadline say you have an extension in place:

Hamonic + Andersson is a decent base. You're probably also looking at giving up our 2019 1st or a young stud like Jankowski.

A lot of teams would be bidding for Doughty should be become available.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=150953

Off topic, but beaverdam are people underrating Backlund. Backstrom is a great defensive player in the Ozone and Nzone, but just above average in the Dzone and his teams bleed chances and goals against when he's on the ice. Backlund on the other hand is elite in all 3 zones, and his best aspect isn't even his Dzone play which is already stellar and elite, it's his ability to drive possession.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I had toyed around with the idea of Doughty, but just the cost is going to be ridiculous, and to re-sign him is going to be super expensive. We'd have to ship out Gio somewhere else if nothing else.

Would love him on the team, but if we are already going for it, that is going ALL in and then some.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I had toyed around with the idea of Doughty, but just the cost is going to be ridiculous, and to re-sign him is going to be super expensive. We'd have to ship out Gio somewhere else if nothing else.

Would love him on the team, but if we are already going for it, that is going ALL in and then some.

Going all in is how teams win the cup. These are the moves that put teams over the top to become cup contenders. Bringing in Doughty would be on a level with the Ducks bringing in Neidermeyer (I'm just hoping we already have a Pronger :naughty:)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Division rival too.
That price would be brutal.

One of Hamilton or Brodie.
One of our bigger guns
One of our top prospects
A First round pick.

Something like:

Brodie, Bennett, Jankowski & 1st.

I think that gets them talking.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Doughty would be great but I'd rather add a forward or upgrade goal if we're going all in. Andersson and Frolik to pick up Simmonds?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Going all in is how teams win the cup. These are the moves that put teams over the top to become cup contenders. Bringing in Doughty would be on a level with the Ducks bringing in Neidermeyer (I'm just hoping we already have a Pronger :naughty:)

If we were lacking a top pairing option, sure I might agree with you.

I'd still much rather bolster the offense than the defense at this point and time.

I'm still not sure I'm comfortable going all in with so many question marks in net as well, especially considering one of them is signed just as long as Doughty is.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think he and Brodie are just going to hit it off really good... I can't wait for that pairing to play!

Someone on CP suggested calling them the 24/7 security pairing. (Jersey numbers). Another clever nickname was the Die-monic pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad