Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: the madness continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I think when you look at the Avs blue line, a prospect like Fox or Valimaki would be a pretty good starting point.
I'd do something around Fox for Duchene only because Fox isn't under contract. Although that shouldn't be a concern. Can't see him playing 4 years of college.

Fox + Shink.

Bennett Duchene on the third line could be the recipe to a cup IMO. Fox could turn out to be a star though. Definitely risky.

No chance in hell Avs do this Fox + Shink. Valimaki at the very least is what they would want.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Isn't there a lot of talk that Fox's stats are inflated by playing on one of the most offensive teams in the NCAA and that his defensive game isn't as strong?

I remember people mentioning that in here.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Isn't there a lot of talk that Fox's stats are inflated by playing on one of the most offensive teams in the NCAA and that his defensive game isn't as strong?

I remember people mentioning that in here.

I obviously didn't watch any of his college games but his defensive play in the WJHC was really, really terrible.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I obviously didn't watch any of his college games but his defensive play in the WJHC was really, really terrible.

What? He didn't play that much but by the end of the tournament he was playing a ton. He had 3 assists in the final against Canada.
His defence improved greatly over the year from what I've seen. He's a special talent imo. Hockey is a mental game and he excels in that aspect.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
At the summer showcase Fox was killing it in every zone. Not just me, I remember Pronman tweeting that he'd brought his game to another level. He was pretty often selected as a standout on analysts' lists of the best players at the tournament, with lots commenting on his defensive zone play.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Fox's defensive game and his transition game aren't up to par with his offensive zone game, because if they were, he'd be the best prospect in hockey.

He definitely has some things to work on just like all of the prospects.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What? He didn't play that much but by the end of the tournament he was playing a ton. He had 3 assists in the final against Canada.
His defence improved greatly over the year from what I've seen. He's a special talent imo. Hockey is a mental game and he excels in that aspect.

By the end of the tournament he was still playing very sheltered minutes. Which is fine considering he was only 18 so not like it is a fatal flaw but his defense certainly stood out for all the wrong reasons.

We'll see if he can change that as Cyrano suggest he has in his post.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No chance in hell Avs do this Fox + Shink. Valimaki at the very least is what they would want.

Come on man...Fox is the next Paul Coffey.

Rumor is that the Aves turned down Hamonic and a 1st for Duchene.
I am sure Fox and a bust would land him easily :sarcasm:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Of course Tre called about Duchene. He calls about everyone, doesn’t mean he’s coming here.

Bennett is better than Duchene anyways, we don’t need him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
By the end of the tournament he was still playing very sheltered minutes. Which is fine considering he was only 18 so not like it is a fatal flaw but his defense certainly stood out for all the wrong reasons.

We'll see if he can change that as Cyrano suggest he has in his post.

Honestly though defence and skating can be taught. Hockey IQ and skill are harder to teach imo. If I'm Joe Sakic I'd prefer 7 years of Fox over 2 years of Duchene. Obviously there are likely better offers out there but I truly believe Fox will be a middle pairing D/top 3 PP QB in the league. I'm a firm believer that PPs can win and lose games and that's why I think Fox will be an extremely valuable player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Fox is the Gaudreau of defensive prospects. I’m a big believer. Guys with that kind of IQ understand how hockey and how it is played. He just needs to commit to defence at the next level and he will if he wants to play. He’s an elite prospect.

I think Valimaki is like Hampus Lindholm and I think Fox could be like a Morgan Rielly.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
I've never watched Fox play, but does anyone think he could be converted to a RW if his defensive game/size can't translate as a defenceman?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Hey guys, quick question. I thought that the 2018 first you guys gave up for Hamonic was lottery-protected, but I can't find any evidence of that. Is it protected?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hey guys, quick question. I thought that the 2018 first you guys gave up for Hamonic was lottery-protected, but I can't find any evidence of that. Is it protected?

I don't imagine it is. We're equally as likely to be bad next year as the year after, so I don't know why we would have done that.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
CGY Trades
Frolik
Andersson

WPG Trades
Byfuglien @ 15% retained

Tkachuk-Backlund-Jankowski
Gaudreau-Bennett-Byfuglien
Ferland-Monahan-Versteeg
Klimchuk-Stajan-Lazar

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
CGY Trades
Frolik
Andersson

WPG Trades
Byfuglien @ 15% retained

Tkachuk-Backlund-Jankowski
Gaudreau-Bennett-Byfuglien
Ferland-Monahan-Versteeg
Klimchuk-Stajan-Lazar

I dont mind the trade but once again you managed to make Jank a top liner and Monahan a 3rd liner...good job :handclap::laugh::laugh:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Calgary trades:
Dillon Dube
Matthew Phillips

Columbus trades:
Josh Anderson

Gaudreau-Monahan-Anderson (Basically a better RHS Ferland)
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Bennett-Versteeg (Gives Bennett two competent linemates playing proper sides)
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Sees reasonable trade.. Nice.

Wait.. Jankowski top line RW? Byfuglian 2nd line RW? Monahan 3rd line C?

OKG plz.

Monahan is the fourth best center, he's lucky to even be at center with Jankowski on the roster.

Byfuglien is a beast at RW. Kane-Toews-Byfuglien is one of my all time favorite lines. I want to recreate that.

Jankowski is the obvious Frolik replacement. Even if I hate the idea of him at wing, he's a no brainer on a shutdown line with Backlund / Tkachuk

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Monahan is the fourth best center, he's lucky to even be at center with Jankowski on the roster.

Byfuglien is a beast at RW. Kane-Toews-Byfuglien is one of my all time favorite lines. I want to recreate that.

Jankowski is the obvious Frolik replacement. Even if I hate the idea of him at wing, he's a no brainer on a shutdown line with Backlund / Tkachuk

:laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Very convincing argument OKG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad