Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Part ∞ - Fix This Team Plox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
We don't know if the Flames even made Colborne an offer TBH. I think there was a lot of speculation by the media. Colborne was on the radio and said something would get done. Then a week later I heard Treliving on the radio and he had a different story and said they like him but need to try fit him in if they could.

My take is the Flames said what range they could afford (which was probably around 2) and Colborne thought he would get more on the open market and I don't think the Flames budged. Until Johnny and Monahan signed, they really didn't know what their cap situation was going to be like.

Didn't Treliving or Burke pretty much come out and say we offered him more than he got in Colorado?

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Colborne adds more options for the middle 6. I agree with whoever said slotting him with Backlund and Frolik so they could pair Tkachuk and Bennett together.

If we want to get Tkachuk with Bennett, I'd prefer throwing Ferland up with Backlund and Frolik in order to do so. Colborme never screamed shutdown forward to me, Ferland is at least passable in that role.

I don't mind Colbprne, but I don't like him in the role he'd be asked to play, he's a scoring forward, and he would be asked to do more than that playing with Backlund/Frolik.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If we want to get Tkachuk with Bennett, I'd prefer throwing Ferland up with Backlund and Frolik in order to do so. Colborme never screamed shutdown forward to me, Ferland is at least passable in that role.

I don't mind Colbprne, but I don't like him in the role he'd be asked to play, he's a scoring forward, and he would be asked to do more than that playing with Backlund/Frolik.

I think it was more because he has had past success with them but yeah.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't see Colborne cracking our top 6, and he's relatively useless as a bottom 6 guy, so I'd pass.
This top 6/bottom 6 myth needs to stop. IOn todays NHL that is very rare. It's top 9/bottom 3 there days. Lots of guys playing on 3rd lines in todays game are lesser defensive players.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
This top 6/bottom 6 myth needs to stop. IOn todays NHL that is very rare. It's top 9/bottom 3 there days. Lots of guys playing on 3rd lines in todays game are lesser defensive players.

Generally I agree, but that doesn't mean that I like seeing Chiasson playing with Monahan and Gaudreau when I think he's a 3rd liner.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Generally I agree, but that doesn't mean that I like seeing Chiasson playing with Monahan and Gaudreau when I think he's a 3rd liner.
That has nothing to do with what I was replying to. The 3rd line is still the 3rd line, but it's not a checking line like it used to be and people seem to refuse to let that go.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015

More than one way to do things. As seen by the fact that there are still multiple "classic" 3rd lines being utilized.

It's not a myth if things like that still exist. I prefer still splitting it up as a top 6 and a bottom 6.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I feel like there is still a checking line, but it's now your second line. Your first line is your most dangerous scorers, your second line is arguably your most complete hockey players who are reliable in both ends, for most teams anyway. Pittsburgh is a bit of a special case as they have two centres who are elite scorers who can carry a line. Their third line last season was comprised of guys who played in the top-6 on each of their respective previous teams, while their top-6 wingers were stereotypical third-liners, mostly.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I feel like there is still a checking line, but it's now your second line. Your first line is your most dangerous scorers, your second line is arguably your most complete hockey players who are reliable in both ends, for most teams anyway. Pittsburgh is a bit of a special case as they have two centres who are elite scorers who can carry a line. Their third line last season was comprised of guys who played in the top-6 on each of their respective previous teams, while their top-6 wingers were stereotypical third-liners, mostly.
The difference is you don't have a line of plugs anymore. Back in the day the 3rd line provided little offense and was an energy line. Today it's more of a tertiary scoring line.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The difference is you don't have a line of plugs anymore. Back in the day the 3rd line provided little offense and was an energy line. Today it's more of a tertiary scoring line.

See, I don't know if that's true. Hasn't that always been a luxury for the elite teams? What was Calgary's third line in '89, for example?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I remember it more or less being like:
"Those weren't the figures we were talking about."

That's what I remember too.

Speculation was it'd take 3-4M to re-sign Colborne after his 44 point season. Rather than risk arbitration giving him something around there, Treliving didn't qualify him but continued to negotiate. When free agency hit, Colborne opted for the Avalanche, taking less than what other teams around the league were offering. He credited Roy as one of the reasons for it.

Regardless, enough with the struggling retreads. Hudler's on his last legs and might even be forced to Europe after this season. Colborne would add virtually nothing; yet another left hand shot, big but soft for his size, aimless unless paired with Backlund.

Rather than continuing the destructive pattern of always targeting older veterans/has-been's/former Flames, etc., I'd hope the Flames leave a spot or two open for internal growth. Let a Klimchuk or Poirier or Mangiapane or Jankowski or Pribyl or collegiate/European free agent or 2017 first round pick actually have a spot to win if they're good enough rather than the usual, 'great camp! but we already have 12 forwards on one-ways and a couple of lottery picks guaranteed a spot so better luck next time.'

If none of the prospects are good enough, then the Flames can sign a stop gap, like they did with Versteeg this year. They're always a plethora of those types hanging around so it's not like having faith in the prospects would actually hurt the organization.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
What players realistically would you trade Monahan for? I'd trade him for Giroux in all honestly, who is a RHS and play RW with excellence, giving us the option of putting Bennett on the top line. I'd like to do it in the offseason, and sign Alzner. Resign Johnson, and then make a trade for one of Grubauer/Korpisalo/Forsberg

Monahan and Klimchuk for Giroux.

Gaudreau-Bennett-Giroux
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Stajan-Chiasson
Ferland-Jankowski-Hathaway

Giordano-Hamilton
Alzner-Brodie
Kulak-Andersson

Gru/Korp/Foppa
Johnson

That's what I'd like to see for next season.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
Monahan and Klimchuk for Giroux.

Gaudreau-Bennett-Giroux
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Stajan-Chiasson
Ferland-Jankowski-Hathaway

Giordano-Hamilton
Alzner-Brodie
Kulak-Andersson

Gru/Korp/Foppa
Johnson

That's what I'd like to see for next season.

Hey I'd love to get Giroux but I don't think that deal would get it done.

Also, if we did get Giroux somehow, I don't think the wing is the best spot for him. He's one of the better defensive centers in the league and he's really good at faceoffs. I don't see why we would push Bennett up to the first line.

Also also, I wouldn't wanna trade Monahan. He's a proven first line centre and probable future captain of our team, and he's still so young! I think he's apart of the Flames for a while.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If none of the prospects are good enough, then the Flames can sign a stop gap, like they did with Versteeg this year. They're always a plethora of those types hanging around so it's not like having faith in the prospects would actually hurt the organization.

One of those prospects would have to take a major leap, but I would agree it's worth trying. The Flames desperately need another top 6 player, and I would say a top line RW before they can realistically do any real damage in the division. Successful teams find these players within their system. Still not super sold on Gulutzan inspiring young talent, although Tkachuk has been phenomenal. Re-signing Versteeg and shoring up the bottom half of this blue line should be Treliving's priorities. Also a legitimate starting goalie FFS.

As much as I was a Colborne defender and still would rather him in front of the net over Brouwer, I would not spend assets in acquiring him again.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Why anybody would want Colborne back the way he is playing? Is our prospect depth really that bad that noone can take a minor role? I am sure Poirrer/Klimchuk can score once in 40 games and play better defense.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thing is, the suggestion wasn't that we add Colborne, it was that we swap him for Bouma. So that still leaves room for some of the younger guys. And Colborne was one of our hit leaders last season, his physical play really improved while he was here.

If Bouma was the old Bouma I wouldn't make that deal. But fact is that he's not and he isn't bringing any of those intangibles. Colborne can at least score 30ish points a season. I don't even want Bouma playing most nights, I'd way rather see Hathaway.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd be down for taking a flyer and claiming him and sending Hathaway down, he's been struggling recently and I suspect we'll either see an injury or a forward shipped out soon to recall him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot