Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Part ∞ - Fix This Team Plox

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Even though Brouwer fits some of that criteria, he's not the answer we should be looking for.

Brouwer isn't a 1RW, and even though he fits the profile of someone we should be looking for, we need to be looking for an actual 1RW with those credentials, not a 3rd line player. So from that standpoint, no Brouwer doesn't fit that description as an asterisk should have been added that any players of interest should actually be top 6 players.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even though Brouwer fits some of that criteria, he's not the answer we should be looking for.

Brouwer isn't a 1RW, and even though he fits the profile of someone we should be looking for, we need to be looking for an actual 1RW with those credentials, not a 3rd line player. So from that standpoint, no Brouwer doesn't fit that description as an asterisk should have been added that any players of interest should actually be top 6 players.
That's true. If that criterion had been there, he'd no longer fit the bill.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Buts there's also only a handful of player, in the entire NHL, that do then!

Probably. The problem is our team is so left shot heavy that the players who fill the boxes for us (Tkachuk, Ferland, Jankowski, Bennett) are not on PP1 or line 1. If only I could trade Bennett for RHS Sam Bennett.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
That's true. If that criterion had been there, he'd no longer fit the bill.

Honestly though, those players can be rare and hard to find, and when they are found they don't come cheap. I think we have one of those in the making in Tkachuk, only lacking a RHS.

Admittedly, handedness is just a small factor to me when looking at players. If they can play, they'd be welcome on my team.

Maybe try and see if Tkachuk can a) play RW, and b) is a fit on that line before going out and paying a premium to acquire a player that fits a similar description to him.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
So, question. Everyone seems to agree we need to pick up a good #4 this offseason - but would anyone be opposed to filling that internally? I don't necessarily think that Andersson would look out of place paired with Brodie as early as next year. Am I off base here? I'm really high on this kid... biggest sticking point of course being that he's not really the stay-at-home type of D-man everyone wants us to target.

Not sure what thread this should go in, but decided to put it here since this is where most of the discussion about filling the #4 slot has been centred.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To be perfectly honest, if our top players get back to being our top players, 99% of our problems will become very minor.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Probably. The problem is our team is so left shot heavy that the players who fill the boxes for us (Tkachuk, Ferland, Jankowski, Bennett) are not on PP1 or line 1. If only I could trade Bennett for RHS Sam Bennett.

I'd like to see a Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk experiment, before we make any major changes up front. It would solve the top 9 problems if he can play RW.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Jankowski-Brouwer

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
To be perfectly honest, if our top players get back to being our top players, 99% of our problems will become very minor.

I don't know, I think we need a little creativity from the right side. I wouldn't be opposed to Chiasson/or a fringe prospect for Hudler for the rest of this year anyways.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I'd like to see a Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk experiment, before we make any major changes up front. It would solve the top 9 problems if he can play RW.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

Tkachuk was pretty effective on the right side in junior. Considering the ease in which he's slotted into the NHL I think it's about damn time we tried it. Johnny and Mony need a player like him anyways.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Tkachuk was pretty effective on the right side in junior. Considering the ease in which he's slotted into the NHL I think it's about damn time we tried it. Johnny and Mony need a player like him anyways.

Would be ideal cap situation, if he can play RW. Small raise for Versteeg, bridge contract for Bennett, with enough left over for a good goalie, with a couple years term left and a top 4 defenseman.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

I would prefer

Gaudreau-Backlund-Monahan
Tkachuk-Bennett-Frolik
Ferland-Jankowski-Versteeg
Klimchuk-Stajan-Brouwer

PP1) Hamilton - Backlund - Monahan - Gaudreau - Tkachuk
PP2) Brodie - Giordano/Versteeg - Bennett - Jankowski - Brouwer/Ferland

Last edited:

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I would prefer

Tkachuk-Bennett-Frolik
Klimchuk-Stajan-Brouwer

PP2) Brodie - Giordano/Versteeg - Bennett - Jankowski - Brouwer

Yes because putting monahan on wing makes a ton of sense.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I would prefer

Tkachuk-Bennett-Frolik
Klimchuk-Stajan-Brouwer

Yes, I see it now! Makes perfect sense putting the only 2 successful centres on the same line.....

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What would you guys think about Patrick Eaves at the TDL? The furthest thing from a sexy name, but he's consistently produced this season up and down the Stars' lineup.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
What would you guys think about Patrick Eaves at the TDL? The furthest thing from a sexy name, but he's consistently produced this season up and down the Stars' lineup.

Naw. He's gonna cost most than he deserves. I'd rather go after Sharp.

Eaves is the equivalent to Bouma in his career year.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Naw. He's gonna cost most than he deserves. I'd rather go after Sharp.

Eaves is the equivalent to Bouma in his career year.

I'm really not so sure that's true. Over the past few years, every time Eaves has gotten opportunity, he's produced there. Dude has like 3 shots a game, too, whereas didn't Bouma just see a ton of them go in that year?

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I would prefer

Tkachuk-Bennett-Frolik
Klimchuk-Stajan-Brouwer

You always want to put Monahan on the wing. I don't understand it.

And I doubt we see Jankowski back up this year unless there is an injury.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
You always want to put Monahan on the wing. I don't understand it.

Least impactful two-way center out of the four goes to the wing where he can focus on offense, which he's pretty good at especially with the 15+ foot head start he would get. If we had a Kopitar, a prime Mike Richards, and Jeff Carter, who would you put on the wing? I'd keep Kopitar and Richards at C and put Carter on the wing, like Darryl did. As a bonus it gives Bennett a chance to play with top six forwards for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad