Armchair GM Thread LXXXVIII: The Kassian Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
He said the Canucks response to the Kesler hit on Dorsett was not good, then compared it to the Ducks response when Kassian hit Maroon.

Anyhow, I think its fair to say Benning will look to add some significant "team tough" components to the team between now and the start of next season. I doubt he lets the team get caught in this *****cat position again.

Sad times if he's taking Cherry's criticisms to heart.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
@DLLiong: Jim Benning, the #Canucks general manager, is in attendance to watch the #WHLGiants play host to the Kamloops Blazers tonight. #WHL

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I wouldn't classify Lucic as a "miss" Boston gambled for him in the 2nd round, I didn't follow the draft much but apparently it was a completely off the radar pick.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Lol the underrated Hickey. Bust. He's a bottom pairing defenceman. He was drafted a franchise one.

Why should non-King fans care, where Hickey was drafted or how long LA waited for him to develop?
The issue is what type of player is he now.

In the last two years he's been very good, very solid, mostly on a pairing with Visnovsky. Smart, a good skater. The knock on him is his size, how easily he gets knocked off the puck.
He's proven he can play second pairing mins.

The addition of Boychuk /Leddy pushed the Hickey/Lubo pairing down to the 3rd pairing and made Strait/Donovan the depth defensemen. Moving Hickey means one of Strait/Donovan tales his place on the 3rd pairing and isles are not likely to want that switch.

Isles needs to get healthy and add a more dependable backup. Not weaken the team's D.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/2287/thomas-hickey

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I wouldn't classify Lucic as a "miss" Boston gambled for him in the 2nd round, I didn't follow the draft much but apparently it was a completely off the radar pick.

He was a bottom 6 forward in the WHL coming off a 9 goal 19 point season. People would have flipped their **** if they saw his stat line for a 2nd rounder

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
On Kassian: Why would Benning bother with a heart to heart with Kassian if he didn't want to at least see how Kass would respond? He wouldn't. I don't think Kassian will be in the next trade.

I think Lack will involved. Some team that needs help in goal that is willing to give up a forward in exchange. Maybe Sbisa/Weber/Stanton as an add-on.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
On Kassian: Why would Benning bother with a heart to heart with Kassian if he didn't want to at least see how Kass would respond? He wouldn't. I don't think Kassian will be in the next trade.

I think Lack will involved. Some team that needs help in goal that is willing to give up a forward in exchange. Maybe Sbisa/Weber/Stanton as an add-on.

Agree. I don't think Kassian is on the block at all. The team is simply without certain roles filled and they have had to try force fitting players into those roles. Kassian is an example of that. When they get a guy that goes to the net and stays there, Kassian will be released to other duties. Kassian is a modern enforcer, too. The Canucks don't really have a lot of that going on. Bieksa is out.

The next trade might not come for a while. Markstrom might be an AHL goalie. They can't depend on him down the stretch, really. They might have to keep Lack. I also do not think they will move a defenseman. They seem happy enough with their existing group. I think they are relying a lot on team chemistry and are loathe to risk upsetting it.

The deadline might be quiet this season. I doubt Benning intends to do any shopping. It's an expensive way to go. Benning might wait for the offseason. This puts a lot of faith in the team. If they fall apart again the offseason will remain slim pickings. It's a gamble but Benning has the sense to avoid the utterly idiotic early moves most rookie GMs make. As long as he avoids genius moves like Sundin and M.Schnieder he is doing okay in my estimation.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I agree. There's too much smoke with the Markstrom stuff, and we have an extra d-man. Find the team that needs Lack and start there when figuring out the next trade. Probably for a forward in the same age range as Pedan, Vey, and Clendening.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
He was a bottom 6 forward in the WHL coming off a 9 goal 19 point season. People would have flipped their **** if they saw his stat line for a 2nd rounder
No worse or better than a handful of Canucks 2nd round picks going back to 2006

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
@DLLiong: Jim Benning, the #Canucks general manager, is in attendance to watch the #WHLGiants play host to the Kamloops Blazers tonight. #WHL

****, where are all the "Proximity to the WHL doesn't mean you can scout it better" people?

this may be the most promising thing Benning has done in his tenure so far. God bless this man if he can get us better production out of the whL.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Agree. I don't think Kassian is on the block at all. The team is simply without certain roles filled and they have had to try force fitting players into those roles. Kassian is an example of that. When they get a guy that goes to the net and stays there, Kassian will be released to other duties. Kassian is a modern enforcer, too. The Canucks don't really have a lot of that going on. Bieksa is out.

The next trade might not come for a while. Markstrom might be an AHL goalie. They can't depend on him down the stretch, really. They might have to keep Lack. I also do not think they will move a defenseman. They seem happy enough with their existing group. I think they are relying a lot on team chemistry and are loathe to risk upsetting it.

The deadline might be quiet this season. I doubt Benning intends to do any shopping. It's an expensive way to go. Benning might wait for the offseason. This puts a lot of faith in the team. If they fall apart again the offseason will remain slim pickings. It's a gamble but Benning has the sense to avoid the utterly idiotic early moves most rookie GMs make. As long as he avoids genius moves like Sundin and M.Schnieder he is doing okay in my estimation.
I dis-agree .Kassian is not making any progress at all this year.He has been benched,injured,has been talked to by management He is as good as gone The drafting of Jake Virtanin has made Kassian.expendable.Jake will bring to this team what Kassian is not doing.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
****, where are all the "Proximity to the WHL doesn't mean you can scout it better" people?

this may be the most promising thing Benning has done in his tenure so far. God bless this man if he can get us better production out of the whL.

Heard someone from the Giants brass mention that during the Gillis regime they rarely saw Canuck scouts at their games but this has changed with Benning who has taken in a number of games himself and talks to the Giants brass as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad