Armchair GM Thread LXXXVIII: The Kassian Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
With Corrado already, there is still 2 options with the Comets to get a look. Its not like Bieksa was playing stellar prior to his injury either. Trading for an injury replacement is very Nonis like. Those kind of trades (along with the draft/player development) are the reason why the Canucks are in the position they are today.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
With Corrado already, there is still 2 options with the Comets to get a look. Its not like Bieksa was playing stellar prior to his injury either. Trading for an injury replacement is very Nonis like. Those kind of trades (along with the draft/player development) are the reason why the Canucks are in the position they are today.

Yup. Benning has said he wants to keep picks, and to replace what Bieksa was bringing, would just use up a draft pick. Promote from within, especially to those that deserve a promotion in Corrado, Biega, and Sanguinetti.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
@ me (sorry can't quote old thread)

I don't see why that would be the price... When looking at the Draft that just happened that would be both 1sts for a guy in the same Draft class as our 1st anyways... plus they were high on McCann if I'm not mistaken... Kassian is an NHL ready player...

I look at it as trading Kassian to trade up with our 20th pic... and hockey trade wise it works IMO

Based Crane

Mar 30, 2014
I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't mind looking at Dallas as a trading partner. They have a couple young forwards (not their star players) that I would love to get my hands on. My only concern would be that it could lead to a Vey perception of being gifted a spot on the roster, but Willie probably has a good idea about who is ready for NHL duty from the Texas Stars. Any thoughts?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't mind looking at Dallas as a trading partner. They have a couple young forwards (not their star players) that I would love to get my hands on. My only concern would be that it could lead to a Vey perception of being gifted a spot on the roster, but Willie probably has a good idea about who is ready for NHL duty from the Texas Stars. Any thoughts?

What players are you thinking about? Just curious.

Blob Mckenzie*

@ me (sorry can't quote old thread)

I don't see why that would be the price... When looking at the Draft that just happened that would be both 1sts for a guy in the same Draft class as our 1st anyways... plus they were high on McCann if I'm not mistaken... Kassian is an NHL ready player...

I look at it as trading Kassian to trade up with our 20th pic... and hockey trade wise it works IMO

Yeah that's not so bad, but Virtanen and McCann for Nylander is pure lunacy.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver

A coach shouldn't be concerned with these things anyway.

Based Crane

Mar 30, 2014
What players are you thinking about? Just curious.

In particular I like Curtis Mckenzie for a few reasons. He's just decent size, put up good numbers in the AHL, willing to stand up for his team mates, and the added bonus of being from BC. The other is more of a long shot, but I really Like Brett Ritchie as well in the big power forward role. That's just my opinion though.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I honestly don't mind it, for now. Move Frankie up the lineup, and have Weber back in over Stanton/Sbisa. Or call up Biega or Sanguinetti.

I really hope weber is in, Sbisa on the right doesn't work, and I am not sure why Willie doesn't seem to see it.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I'd like to see Sanguinetti get a call up and see what he can do. PMD who's been solid in the AHL. Former first round pick. Worth at least a look.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I have no problem with Benning saying they will run with Corrado etc. rather than going out and finding a replacement for Bieksa. Corrado deserves a chance to show what he can provide at the NHL level, and it's not as if Bieksa was setting the world on fire. The team will miss his leadership/toughness, but they're unlikely to replace that anyway. Besides, even if Benning does decide he needs to replace Bieksa externally, he's not going to come out and say it.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I have no problem with Benning saying they will run with Corrado etc. rather than going out and finding a replacement for Bieksa. Corrado deserves a chance to show what he can provide at the NHL level, and it's not as if Bieksa was setting the world on fire. The team will miss his leadership/toughness, but they're unlikely to replace that anyway. Besides, even if Benning does decide he needs to replace Bieksa externally, he's not going to come out and say it.

Is there really a reason to replace him on a non stanley cup team?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'd like to see Sanguinetti get a call up and see what he can do. PMD who's been solid in the AHL. Former first round pick. Worth at least a look.

Yeah from the reports he's been one of the best dmen in the AHL. I'd like to see this when healthy:

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Corrado
Sanguinetti Bieksa

But it'll never happen

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Agree with this. Things would be a lot different if Bieksa were playing tough, top four minutes, however, he isn't playing those kind of minutes, and while he is hurt his minutes can be distributed evenly among committee, or even just replaced entirely by Corrado.

I'd like to see promotion from within the organization before we go searching for a replacement, and giving up assets, whether it's a measly pick or not.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Is there really a reason to replace him on a non stanley cup team?

We're battling for a playoff spot, Benning isn't going to just not try to make us better as we go along. I think it would send a terrible message to the players on the ice if Benning weren't looking to improve at the right costs to possibly help for the playoffs.

We want a winning atmosphere and mentality around this team, especially with rookies like Horvat, Vey and Corrado around, don't we? We may not win the Cup, but you have to put forth an effort because crazier things have happened in the playoffs.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Remember the good old days when we always has players "injured" until the start of the playoffs allowing us to go over the Cap and have a loaded roster... Now we pine over Kassian and if we will develop.. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I miss Gillis.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
Remember the good old days when we always has players "injured" until the start of the playoffs allowing us to go over the Cap and have a loaded roster... Now we pine over Kassian and if we will develop.. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I miss Gillis.

Yup, I had just gotten interested in the NHL in the 09-10 season, I don't think I was able to fully appreciate that 2011 team.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I honestly don't mind it, for now. Move Frankie up the lineup, and have Weber back in over Stanton/Sbisa. Or call up Biega or Sanguinetti.

While I agree initially. Unless Biega or Sanguinetti light the world on fire, we're going to need someone a whole lot better. What concerns me about Benning is he seems to have no idea about cost. We are rumored to be after a top six forward, yet he won't part with picks/prospects. Hate to break it to him but Zack Kassian isn't getting us jack ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad