Armchair GM Thread LXXXVI: If It Makes Sense, We'll Do It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Ive been mentioning mark stone of ottawa for a few years now.

got the size, playmaking and actually produces unlike Kassian.

Still think thats a player with good upside.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
With all the talk of the speculated Nino deal with Minnesota...i think what we really need, more than dealing guys like Kassian and Lack as prosposed, for a Nino who has already broken out a bit...

Is to find our own Clutterbuck for Nino deal. Find a young prospect on the cusp who has been mismanaged or blocked by depth, etc. Swap a good solid 3rd liner for a reclamation project with upside. Someone who has fallen out of favour a bit, stagnated a bit, been passed on the depth chart by some guys. Guys in the sort of position Nino was in before Minnesota dealt for him...not after.

I think Burrows is our Clutterbuck, trying to think where Burr would waive his NTC to, Habs obvious or maybe where JayG went TBL, so Burr for Michael Bournival or Brett Connolly it is!

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I think Burrows is our Clutterbuck, trying to think where Burr would waive his NTC to, Habs obvious or maybe where JayG went TBL, so Burr for Michael Bournival or Brett Connolly it is!

I definitely think that Bieksa is our Clutterbuck

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ive been mentioning mark stone of ottawa for a few years now.

got the size, playmaking and actually produces unlike Kassian.

Still think thats a player with good upside.

Yeah, sure...Mark Stone is pretty good. Unfortunately, he also seems to be a pretty huge part of Ottawa's future plans right now. He's kinda putting up .55ppg in the NHL as a rookie right now.

You're always going to pay out the ass for those sort of assets. Teams are so loathe to give up young assets who are successfully breaking into the NHL like that. You're going to end up paying so much for those sort of key building blocks that it's probably just not going to be worth it.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Could be. Though Burrow's contract paired with that NTC and his long-standing with this franchise makes it an awfully tough sell. Probably not easy to get the greatest return on that with those major limitations on any deal.

Though Hansen might be a closer approximation. Maybe Higgins. Or even Matthias/Richardson as a lesser example (though Richardson is probably a guy i'd want to keep as he seems to have fit in with Willie D's system quite well and brings some important elements to the table for the meantime).

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I don't like to be "that guy" but I mean....

Jesus, we are one point behind the kings. They have 3 fewer wins than we do in 2 more games. They are leading us by a single point due to an epic crapton of loser points. San Jose is 2 points ahead of us, also by virtue of loser points. They have the same amount of wins in 2 more games.

Seriously, our division isn't that great.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
With all the talk of the speculated Nino deal with Minnesota...i think what we really need, more than dealing guys like Kassian and Lack as prosposed, for a Nino who has already broken out a bit...

Is to find our own Clutterbuck for Nino deal. Find a young prospect on the cusp who has been mismanaged or blocked by depth, etc. Swap a good solid 3rd liner for a reclamation project with upside. Someone who has fallen out of favour a bit, stagnated a bit, been passed on the depth chart by some guys. Guys in the sort of position Nino was in before Minnesota dealt for him...not after.

Personally, i think there was a big opportunity missed when Magnus Paajarvi was on waivers...basically for free (minus $70 grand or whatever the cost on a claim would be). Add MPS to the lineup, and ship a guy like Matthias at a "high point" for a pick/prospect even if it's not a great one. Younger, faster, really not losing a huge amount for now, add a bonus prospect (even if they bust right out, it's worth a shot). You get younger, faster, at least marginally so...and gain a small asset in the process. What's not to like? :dunno: Beats me why Benning didn't bother with it.

Alex Burmistrov with Winnipeg is another guy that jumps out to me as a situation to maybe capitalize on. Due to the whole "peace out, Claude Noel is a jerk and imma go back to Russia" thing...he's a highly talented young player on the outs. There's looking a half-decent chance he'd be open to coming back to the NHL next year, i'd be all over the phones trying to suss out what the cost would be, and hoping that they'd be willing to do a swap for a Clutterbuck type decent 3rd liner (of which we have a major surplus). The kind of move that can kind of blow up in your face and leave you holding an empty bag...but i think for where this team is at, it's the right sort of move to look for.

Austin Matthews with the very same Preds organization we just lost to, another candidate. Even someone way the heck down the "bust" road like John McFarland i'd try to add to the organization for a tiny asset we've got hiding somewhere if Florida wanted to swap failures.

I think of yaks and Shultz first, cause that's what EDM does miss manage prospects. They still probably ask for too much especially from us.

I think it's a bit hard to find this kind of deal in that most did not like the deal from the get go. We would be looking probably more at more of a reclamation project. I would be on board for the right player.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I wonder if we could move someone like Chris Higgins for Brett Connolly?

Doubtful.

Not necessarily on "value", but more on the fact that Tampa has promising young forwards sprouting up like weeds. They don't need an aging middle-sixer too badly right now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think of yaks and Shultz first, cause that's what EDM does miss manage prospects. They still probably ask for too much especially from us.

I think it's a bit hard to find this kind of deal in that most did not like the deal from the get go. We would be looking probably more at more of a reclamation project. I would be on board for the right player.

Yeah. Edmonton is clearly the first organization that comes to mind.

But like you said, i think the divisional thing and the pettiness of that whole "rivalry" and all the rest kind of sabotages any efforts there might be to mine a misused gem out of Edmonton. Unfortunately.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well, Jimson buddy, I hope you're here.

Food for thought, the only team to win a SC in the last 11 years without a top 5 pick on their team, or without drafting and trading a top 5 pick in years leading up to the win was detroit.

Valid point, but L.A. traded for them, Pittsburgh and Chicago had to suffer being the clowns of the league for quite some time, don't forget the Ducks rise from bottom or that their top five pick was Bobby Ryan who was rumoured to be on the block even that year. Tampa and Carolina came out of no where and returned there as well, and fought off teams that also came out of nowhere (after making HUGE acquisitions for the runners up anyway).

Plus we have a 2 and 3 overall...so where's our cup? ;)

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

Valid point, but L.A. traded for them, Pittsburgh and Chicago had to suffer being the clowns of the league for quite some time, don't forget the Ducks rise from bottom or that their top five pick was Bobby Ryan who was rumoured to be on the block even that year. Tampa and Carolina came out of no where and returned there as well, and fought off teams that also came out of nowhere (after making HUGE acquisitions for the runners up anyway).

well twins brought us to the cup finals.

no twins no cup finals.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Brought over from the lovely GDT/PGT:

Trading away the Sedins would be the same magnitude of trading away Jarome Iginla.

You're getting close, but no.

Trading Luongo was the equivalent move. The fact that the Sedins are around is simply a result of being an infinitely better team than Calgary ever was. The Canucks were able to trade their Iginla and Kiprusoff and still have two elite assets. Hate the twins all you want, but you must agree that Jiri Hudler can never hold a candle to them. Yet I'd argue that he's one of the reasons why sixth overall pick Sean Monahan has an identical stat line to first overall pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

We'll never agree on this, but having the Sedins around doesn't hold the Canucks back from getting good prospects, it simply enables the prospects that are here to be developed the right way.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Who did they give up in the Drew Doughty trade?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Trading Luongo was the equivalent move. The fact that the Sedins are around is simply a result of being an infinitely better team than Calgary ever was. The Canucks were able to trade their Iginla and Kiprusoff and still have two elite assets. Hate the twins all you want, but you must agree that Jiri Hudler can never hold a candle to them. Yet I'd argue that he's one of the reasons why sixth overall pick Sean Monahan has an identical stat line to first overall pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

We'll never agree on this, but having the Sedins around doesn't hold the Canucks back from getting good prospects, it simply enables the prospects that are here to be developed the right way.

And who is developing because of the Sedins being here?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
well twins brought us to the cup finals.

no twins no cup finals.

Bingo. Better then they get credit for, like them or hate them.

Mentoring can go a long way. Remember that Sundin guy? Or even Luongo for that matter...

Who did they give up in the Drew Doughty trade?

My mistake, I was thinking Johnson for some reason. Also Richards and Carter...11 and 24 overall...what was I thinking. My point remains though, there are different ways to get a top drafted player.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
And who is developing because of the Sedins being here?

Hopefully Horvat, Kassian, Virtanen and your boy Shinkaruk. Whether they do or not, I have my doubts (as expressed earlier). But trading the twins and thrusting Shinkaruk into a top-6 role (with Nick Bonino as the first line center...) when he's currently playing third line minutes in the AHL, just so you can acquire some picks is a fast track to ensuring he busts.

The difference between the Oilers and Flames is not the draft picks. It's the Giordano's and Hudler's vs. Ference and the shell of a scapegoated Shawn Horcoff.

Wang Gretzky

Nov 8, 2013
At this point in time with the current prospects we have coming up, when the Sedins retire this team is ****ED! Not one of our prospects will be getting sheltered minutes, and not one of them is capable of being a #1 center or #1D. So either we can insulate the prospects and raise them with Sedins and accept a rebuild now, while the they are here. Or we can be a middling team for 4 years acquire some ok prospects, and then be one of the worst teams in the NHL when they do retire. Regardless this team is gonna have to rebuild eventually and id prefer it to be a planned one.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Mentoring can go a long way. Remember that Sundin guy? Or even Luongo for that matter...

:handclap:

The ideal situation is obviously that you have a Cory Schneider type blue chip piece to "seamlessly" takeover, but we've seen that the Eddie Lack types can make quite a push when the right environment is there.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Oh i love the twins. Its just helps the argument how drafting high enhances your chance to get franchise guys that you can bank on for a decade or so.

unfortunately the sedins are on decline now. Ie time for a new core. Hence its better to expedite the process and draft our new sedins ie face of the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad