Armchair GM Thread LXXXVI: If It Makes Sense, We'll Do It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Thats the downside of a tail end of a front loaded contract. 7.0m, 4.5m, 5.0m, 4.0m and 2.5m was something like how hes contract went. Too accept the undermarket value you have to take a bit of the over market value on the cap hit.

I think the thing is at the time of the signing, there is a reasonable expectation that his game won't decline that much because he wasn't that old. Unfortunately for us, that has not worked out.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I wouldn't trade Bieksa right now for the primary reason our depth on the right side is that bad right now. Never mind what else he brings, we are super weak on the rright side. It really makes no sense unless we get at least one more guy to play that side.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I believe she's a reporter from that News 1130 thing. I remember her name during the Luongo debacle but I don't think she ever really broke anything of interest. As far as I'm concerned the only people with inside knowledge in Vancouver are Hockey Widow and Botch with the former seeming to be more connected now while Botch seems to have been marginalized a bit since the new regime. I think Gillis used to use Botch to leak news for us, no idea if Benning or Trev have a similar arrangement.

I'm nervous that we are going to make a really bad trade soon that will make another team and their fans very happy.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
You think there ? I feel like a lot of what's happened to the Canucks under Linden (Benning, Desjardins, Miller, Vrbata) have been telegraphed from a mile away with multiple sources reporting rumors.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Does anyone have a link corraborating this "Jensen will be waiver-eligible next season" talk? ELC players don't have to pass through waivers afaik.

Not until end of 2016, link, I know earlier I said this year in another thread. Sorry.

I believe she's a reporter from that News 1130 thing. I remember her name during the Luongo debacle but I don't think she ever really broke anything of interest. As far as I'm concerned the only people with inside knowledge in Vancouver are Hockey Widow and Botch with the former seeming to be more connected now while Botch seems to have been marginalized a bit since the new regime. I think Gillis used to use Botch to leak news for us, no idea if Benning or Trev have a similar arrangement.

I'm nervous that we are going to make a really bad trade soon that will make another team and their fans very happy.

When has Botch ever had anything that has proved to be correct, on any topic in the history of anything?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Has HW broken anything? I haven't seen anything from her since the summer.

Blob Mckenzie*

Phantom Misconduct why do you feel Jim Benning is about to make some huge blunder ? Other than the Jason Garrison trade I'm not that angry with any of his other moves and I dont hate the Garry move that much . I just think he should have brought in another defenceman in free agency .

I know a lot of posters criticize his hair or his public speaking skills but he does know a hell of a lot more about hockey than any of them .

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Phantom Misconduct why do you feel Jim Benning is about to make some huge blunder ? Other than the Jason Garrison trade I'm not that angry with any of his other moves and I dont hate the Garry move that much . I just think he should have brought in another defenceman in free agency .

I know a lot of posters criticize his hair or his public speaking skills but he does know a hell of a lot more about hockey than any of them .

I just feel there is too much smoke around Kassian right now for there not to be a fire. Another poster just mentioned a few posts above that every Benning move so far has been pretty telegraphed and I sort of agree. I don't really see something coming right out of the blue, my intuition tells me that we are going to do a trade with the Bruins and it could very well involve Kassian. I'm not really that high on many of the Bruins players that we could possibly get in return and I really like Kassian and think at the very worst he could be a great physical 3rd liner for us so I'm a little worried. I also hated the Garrison trade as you mentioned but I won't get into that right now. Another worry is that Benning seems to lock and load on a player he wants and has so far been willing to go pretty high value-wise to get that player. We are starting to run low on tradeable assets beyond our top picks and prospects so I hope we maximize the value of what we have left at this point.

I don't know how to multi quote but to the other posters that mentioned the media part of my post. I believe that Botch was actually used by the Gillis Regime to leak info and that he did actually have some inside connections with that regime. I don't have a link though to any article or anything that mentions that so take that as you will. I know people think he is a clown but that doesn't prevent him from being an insider as well although like I said I don't think he is used in the same capacity by this regime. I haven't heard anything about Hockey Widow since the draft but she was absolutely bang on with her predictions/rumours the two nights leading up to it so I have to think that she has some serious connections within the organization, whoever she is.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
What's this Ryan O'Reilly rumour citing VAN interest? I believe it's Dreger that's reporting it. He says that VAN has extra depth on defense to get it done?

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
I think the fan base is primed for a rebuild and management is going to miss the boat on the opportunity.

We lucked out between the naslund and sedin era because there was little gap. There's a sizeable gap between the sedin and horvat group (mostly because the Hodgson group never panned out).

We need to make the trades to unload our vets for young guys who can grow up together. I'm convinced the Sedins and Bieksa will be in for the long haul so they can be mentors. Burrows is in the middle but I can see him moving. Higgins and Bonino are in no mans land. Too old to be part of the new core but not good enough to carry a team right now.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
What's this Ryan O'Reilly rumour citing VAN interest? I believe it's Dreger that's reporting it. He says that VAN has extra depth on defense to get it done?

Sounds like garbage to me, considering our complete lack of defensive depth.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I just feel there is too much smoke around Kassian right now for there not to be a fire. Another poster just mentioned a few posts above that every Benning move so far has been pretty telegraphed and I sort of agree. I don't really see something coming right out of the blue, my intuition tells me that we are going to do a trade with the Bruins and it could very well involve Kassian. I'm not really that high on many of the Bruins players that we could possibly get in return and I really like Kassian and think at the very worst he could be a great physical 3rd liner for us so I'm a little worried. I also hated the Garrison trade as you mentioned but I won't get into that right now. Another worry is that Benning seems to lock and load on a player he wants and has so far been willing to go pretty high value-wise to get that player. We are starting to run low on tradeable assets beyond our top picks and prospects so I hope we maximize the value of what we have left at this point.

I don't know how to multi quote but to the other posters that mentioned the media part of my post. I believe that Botch was actually used by the Gillis Regime to leak info and that he did actually have some inside connections with that regime. I don't have a link though to any article or anything that mentions that so take that as you will. I know people think he is a clown but that doesn't prevent him from being an insider as well although like I said I don't think he is used in the same capacity by this regime. I haven't heard anything about Hockey Widow since the draft but she was absolutely bang on with her predictions/rumours the two nights leading up to it so I have to think that she has some serious connections within the organization, whoever she is.

I have the same bad feeling that we're going to trade Kassian for an old 2nd line forward (like Loui Eriksson) and then regret it for 10 years.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I think the fan base is primed for a rebuild and management is going to miss the boat on the opportunity.

We lucked out between the naslund and sedin era because there was little gap. There's a sizeable gap between the sedin and horvat group (mostly because the Hodgson group never panned out).

We need to make the trades to unload our vets for young guys who can grow up together. I'm convinced the Sedins and Bieksa will be in for the long haul so they can be mentors. Burrows is in the middle but I can see him moving. Higgins and Bonino are in no mans land. Too old to be part of the new core but not good enough to carry a team right now.

The Canucks currently are retooling, they've had 4 first round picks in the past 2 years.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I have the same bad feeling that we're going to trade Kassian for an old 2nd line forward (like Loui Eriksson) and then regret it for 10 years.

Why? Even if you think they pissed away money on Miller… that isn't close to what you're suggesting. What have they done that would give any indication of this?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

i agree.... there will be a bit of a gap between the sedin era and the horvat era. that means 2-4 years of oiler-esq suckage. but.. when the Horvat era does mature... it should be a good one since the nux had 4 first round picks in a short two year span PLUS they have what what looks like good pics in later rounds (Demko, Cassels, Forsling etc and maybe Subban)

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

I like your optimism, 10 years? We still rue the Neely trade.

But isnt a Kass to Beantown for Eriksson got the odor of a Neely for Pederson?

Young, not-yet-got-it-together-completely power forward who wasnt given his true opportunities traded for an aging former star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad