Armchair GM Thread LXXXVI: If It Makes Sense, We'll Do It Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I'd like to nominate this for best post of 2015 (already!!), reading it is like a radical adventure.

A radical adventure? More like a lame adventure.

Neil-Patrick-Harris-Choose-Your-Own-Autobiography.jpg

arsmaster*

The Nashville ****ing Predators just made us look like a slow team.
Not dismissing any of your other thoughts, because they're good, but the Nashville Predators are an elite team. They rolled us on every line last night.

They're at the top of the standings for very good reason.
The team doesn't have the assets to pull off a trade to bring in something that we would need to be competitive today. We need to sell assets and look to be competitive tomorrow.
I agree, I agreed this summer. I also don't think if you're bringing in the right pieces in return that it will effect the bottom line like many in the GDT suggested. Sorry, but Higgins, Hansen, Sbisa, Matthias, Richardson, Kassian etc do not put butts in the seats. You get a real sub-23 potential top pair/top line player in return for anyone here, and people will pay to watch.

The team needs hope. They don't have it.
With all the talk of the speculated Nino deal with Minnesota...i think what we really need, more than dealing guys like Kassian and Lack as prosposed, for a Nino who has already broken out a bit...

Alex Burmistrov with Winnipeg is another guy that jumps out to me as a situation to maybe capitalize on. Due to the whole "peace out, Claude Noel is a jerk and imma go back to Russia" thing...he's a highly talented young player on the outs. There's looking a half-decent chance he'd be open to coming back to the NHL next year, i'd be all over the phones trying to suss out what the cost would be, and hoping that they'd be willing to do a swap for a Clutterbuck type decent 3rd liner (of which we have a major surplus). The kind of move that can kind of blow up in your face and leave you holding an empty bag...but i think for where this team is at, it's the right sort of move to look for.

Austin Matthews with the very same Preds organization we just lost to, another candidate. Even someone way the heck down the "bust" road like John McFarland i'd try to add to the organization for a tiny asset we've got hiding somewhere if Florida wanted to swap failures.
I'm on board with this idea too. Need to find more potential targets, we should develop a list.

Burmistrov is a good target, our scouts had him 3rd behind Hall and Seguin in 2010. Maybe they still like him, and we're apparently not adverse to the Russian factor any longer.

You're thinking of Austin Watson. Auston Matthews is the potential top pick of the 2016 draft, I'd like to get him too.

I wonder which teams would Bieksa waive his NTC to?

Valid point, but L.A. traded for them, Pittsburgh and Chicago had to suffer being the clowns of the league for quite some time, don't forget the Ducks rise from bottom or that their top five pick was Bobby Ryan who was rumoured to be on the block even that year. Tampa and Carolina came out of no where and returned there as well, and fought off teams that also came out of nowhere (after making HUGE acquisitions for the runners up anyway).

Plus we have a 2 and 3 overall...so where's our cup? ;)
They were also bad enough for an extended period that they could stock pile assets, then when they were ready to compete, they added Mike Richards for a former 5th overall (Schenn) and Wayne Simmonds.
My mistake, I was thinking Johnson for some reason. Also Richards and Carter...11 and 24 overall...what was I thinking. My point remains though, there are different ways to get a top drafted player.

You have to have quality players to get other quality players. We've done a poor job assembling quality players, and we trade two this summer for supbar returns as well as letting a cheap asset leave over term.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
And who exactly are the twins holding back from developing ? The guys who could maybe develop in the next year or two need to be brought along on the third and fourth lines . There isn't a single prospect in the organization that is good enough to push his way onto this team at the moment . That comes from six years of horrific drafting thanks to Eye Bags and the cheese burgular.

Not saying they're holding anyone back. Just that they aren't really being instrumental in anyone's development. If we can get a future cornerstone for them, I do the deal.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not saying they're holding anyone back. Just that they aren't really being instrumental in anyone's development. If we can get a future cornerstone for them, I do the deal.

To be fair, they aren't exactly being paired with anyone who they can "develop". Their wing-men this year have been some form of the revolving door of Vrbata, Burrows and Hansen - all veterans.

With our offense so bone dry, I would do a flip if Desjardins would just try Kassian or Vey there. Hell, recall Jensen and let him ride there. Try something. The usual mix of our streaky bottom-six guys getting top-six minutes isn't working.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
There has to be a point where the anti-tankists admit that a 2nd round pick is more important to this teams future than having 10 3rd liners.

You have to have quality players to get other quality players. We've done a poor job assembling quality players, and we trade two this summer for supbar returns as well as letting a cheap asset leave over term.

Yea, this is my worry, Benning seems to be willing to shed top 90 picks and I think the team needs to stockpile in this range and really make hay in the 31-90 range.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
There has to be a point where the anti-tankists admit that a 2nd round pick is more important to this teams future than having 10 3rd liners.

Yea, this is my worry, Benning seems to be willing to shed top 90 picks and I think the team needs to stockpile in this range and really make hay in the 31-90 range.

Players taken in that range normally end up being 3rd liners...if everything goes well.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Players taken in that range normally end up being 3rd liners...if everything goes well.

Yes so why keep the guys pushin 30 and providing no spark to the team ? At some point we have to acknowledge Bennings draft pedigree and Give him more picks to draft. I look at some of the gems from the 2nd and 3rd rounds playing key roles for Chicago and LA and shake my head.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
To be fair, they aren't exactly being paired with anyone who they can "develop". Their wing-men this year have been some form of the revolving door of Vrbata, Burrows and Hansen - all veterans.

With our offense so bone dry, I would do a flip if Desjardins would just try Kassian or Vey there. Hell, recall Jensen and let him ride there. Try something. The usual mix of our streaky bottom-six guys getting top-six minutes isn't working.

This is true too.

I'm actually of the opinion that they should have Jensen on their line. He looked good with them last year in limited time and I'm interested in seeing where that could go. Put the Sedins to good use and have them actually mentor some of our youth. Then Vrbata can drop to the second line and perhaps help out Bonino.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I sure hope that the Pro Scouts can find some gems in the depths of other organizations. In the vein of the Vey and Pedan trades just hopefully better. Like biturbo mentioned to find our own Clutterbuck for Niederreiter trade for the likes of Higgins, Matthais, Richardson, Lack/Markstrom. You're not likely to get a sexy name for those but you can get a find.

They may not be paired with anybody to develop anybody but they are sheltering any young players from getting the Oilers treatment. I'm all for giving Kassian, Vey, Jensen, whoever a look with them and at the very least get them into the lineup more.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
They may not be paired with anybody to develop anybody but they are sheltering any young players from getting the Oilers treatment. I'm all for giving Kassian, Vey, Jensen, whoever a look with them and at the very least get them into the lineup more.

Who are they really sheltering though? It's not like we have 4 or 5 rookie top 6 forwards in our lineup that would be getting those tough minutes if the Sedins weren't here.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Who are they really sheltering though? It's not like we have 4 or 5 rookie top 6 forwards in our lineup that would be getting those tough minutes if the Sedins weren't here.

Unfortunately nobody and that is an issue. Move some out some of the fodder and get Vey and Jensen into the lineup and the return from a trade or two.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Unfortunately nobody and that is an issue.

Agreed. We have too many third liners on the team.

At this point I think Shinkaruk needs to stay in the AHL for the rest of this season. Maybe move him up to the 2nd line down there, but that's it. Jensen needs to be brought in here and either played with the Sedins or given some kind of role. And if we can acquire another good young player (somehow) and play him in sheltered minutes that would be ideal.

arsmaster*

The only thing about the "Clutterbuck" deal is that the deal was made to cater to the Islanders "star"....another Oshawa General who played 2 junior seasons with John Tavares.

Snow may have given up value like Benning has so far, to get who he wanted.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I don't see the Sedins as the biggest impediment to commiting to a rebuild, managements unwillingness to get rid of some of the 3rd liners on this team is. we need to create room in the middle of the team for rookie's...not room on the top line. Right now its the Mathias' and the Higgins of the world getting prime minutes and not producing while blocking the road to the future.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Edler-Tanev, IMO, makes for a great 2nd pairing. They're strong in their own end but don't really create much offense which is what would be holding them back.

Dan Hamhuis is the type of guy who could be on the top pairing, but again, lacks offense. If we can acquire a top PMD who can play the right side, our defense would be fine.

I seriously would take a look at what it would take to get Dion Phaneuf out of Toronto. He's bad in his own end, but if paired with a babysitter like Hamhuis we could get the most out of his strengths while covering up for his shortcomings.

Hamhuis-Phaneuf
Edler-Tanev

looks like a great defense core. Then Stanton-Bieksa on the third pairing and we're perfectly set.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
The only thing about the "Clutterbuck" deal is that the deal was made to cater to the Islanders "star"....another Oshawa General who played 2 junior seasons with John Tavares.

Snow may have given up value like Benning has so far, to get who he wanted.

Outside of a Burmistrov you man not get that name or former high pick. I think of it more of the role player for and young offensive player needing a chance.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Outside of a Burmistrov you man not get that name or former high pick. I think of it more of the role player for and young offensive player needing a chance.

I was once opposed to Burmistrov, but if we can get him cheap I'd take a gamble on him.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Edler-Tanev, IMO, makes for a great 2nd pairing. They're strong in their own end but don't really create much offense which is what would be holding them back.

Dan Hamhuis is the type of guy who could be on the top pairing, but again, lacks offense. If we can acquire a top PMD who can play the right side, our defense would be fine.

I seriously would take a look at what it would take to get Dion Phaneuf out of Toronto. He's bad in his own end, but if paired with a babysitter like Hamhuis we could get the most out of his strengths while covering up for his shortcomings.

Hamhuis-Phaneuf
Edler-Tanev

looks like a great defense core. Then Stanton-Bieksa on the third pairing and we're perfectly set.

why not just take Franson then? Costs less, produces the same, is right handed and effective when paired with a responsible partner.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Hutchinson had to come in and ruin the thought of Lack for Burmistrov.

I wouldn't trade for Franson unless you're sure he is your guy otherwise take a chance on him in free agency. Even then I have a feeling he is going to be grossly overpaid.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
I don't understand why there is even discussion of moving the Sedins.

Not only does that make Nick Bonino our #1C, and Chris Higgins our #1RW as others have pointed out, it is a practical impossibility.

the ol' knee jerk reaction to losing badly, after a nights rest back to reality...Sedins are staying, and I hope they stay till we draft/trade for a young #1C.

We can start this new team by trading expensive veterans for picks/prospects, NTC bonanza, Burrows to anywhere he accepts, & Bieksa for a 1st in 2015.

Higgins can easily get us a 2nd or if we want a true #3C, Boston was apparently interested in Higgins, so ask for Chris Kelly.

That clears some cap space to sign a quality QB dman via UFA.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
the ol' knee jerk reaction to losing badly, after a nights rest back to reality...Sedins are staying, and I hope they stay till we draft/trade for a young #1C.

We can start this new team by trading expensive veterans for picks/prospects, NTC bonanza, Burrows to anywhere he accepts, & Bieksa for a 1st in 2015.

Higgins can easily get us a 2nd or if we want a true #3C, Boston was apparently interested in Higgins, so ask for Chris Kelly.

That clears some cap space to sign a quality QB dman via UFA.

Meh...I don't think Kelly is really an upgrade on Richardson at this point in his career.

I may be in the minority but I hope the Sedins stay here until they retire. Or stay here until they are going to retire and trade them to a contender at the deadline, would love to see them hoist the cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad