Armchair Gm Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
I don't think the Preds will spend much at all in free agency. That said, if Hall is willing to take a short term deal as the rumors suggest and he wants to boost up his long term value under Hynes, I'd be pumped to add him for a year or two.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Is it just me or does anyone else want us to go after Mike Hoffman instead of Hall? Could be had cheaper and it wouldn't have to be such a big commitment, kind of like David Perron type deal in St. Louis, 4x4.

I'm not sure I would want to commit to Hall long-term especially with the bloated contracts for Joey and Duchene in the books as well and with Forsberg's extension looming in 2 years. By then we'd have 4 big deals in our offense and probably not invested in guys those dollars should be invested in.

Hoffman's a lethal scorer and is familiar with Duchene and now with Turris off the team, there isn't any bad blood existing anymore.

Hoffman - Duchene - Kunin wouldn't be the worst 2nd line in the league.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Curious. Instead of Hall, maybe something like Ellis for Nylander? He's not exactly the type of RHD the Leafs might be looking for but is a legit top 4/top pair RHD. Also addresses any expansion draft issues. Our defensive group would look real rough though.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Is it just me or does anyone else want us to go after Mike Hoffman instead of Hall? Could be had cheaper and it wouldn't have to be such a big commitment, kind of like David Perron type deal in St. Louis, 4x4.

I'm not sure I would want to commit to Hall long-term especially with the bloated contracts for Joey and Duchene in the books as well and with Forsberg's extension looming in 2 years. By then we'd have 4 big deals in our offense and probably not invested in guys those dollars should be invested in.

Hoffman's a lethal scorer and is familiar with Duchene and now with Turris off the team, there isn't any bad blood existing anymore.

I wouldn't mind Dadonov either. I think short term deal is going to be the key. I'd love to get someone on a 3 year deal or shorter but who knows how feasible that is for one of the top UFAs. Friday will at the very least be interesting now.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
We're in on Hall, so if this means that Hynes gets us Hall I'm done.
Hynes will get another contract after this first tenure just for getting us Hall, no matter how horrible we could be. Book it.

Poile, don't do it. Don't tie us to Hynes.

Reactions: Preds Partisan

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Unless Hynes has a magical effect on Hall, I want to say this is a mistake. Players of that talent level and pedigree don't spend time across 4 teams in less than 5 seasons if they are everything they should be.

He's elite at his best and was fantastic under Hynes in New Jersey. It could definitely blow up, but I understand taking the risk while the Preds MIGHT still have a competitive window left with their core. If we're being honest it looks like the Preds will potentially be a pretty rough looking squad in about 4 years anyway, I don't really care that much if Hall makes it look a little worse. You've got 5 million in useless cap dropping next year with Rinne (I love the big guy, but it's true at this point), I think they could make it work for now.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Elite players are always worth acquiring. If Hall is available, you pursue him.

Would I trade turris, smith, bonino, granlund for Hall and cap room.

Yes.

Then again. Turris sucked. Bonino fills a role we have players to fit. Granlund never fit. Smith was a playoff no-show.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Hynes had us at a 97ish point pace during his time in the regular season ... extrapolated for 82 games. Not spectacular, but not horrible. Bowness just took a team to the Cup finals. Lavy had run his course. Let's not pretend that the 2020-20 irregular post season was indicative of a normal post season after the 2019-20 season. Teams that were on the skids used the round robin to reverse issues while teams that would have been in disappeared in the play-in round ... non-standard from any logical perspective.

Given Poile's history, everything right now indicates he has something in mind. If it works out is an other matter all together. Hall ... if the farfetched rumors that Stamkos in in any way available ... who the hell knows but the observables say there is something in play right now. We'll see what happens.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

It would be pretty close to the bottom half of the league though lol.

Kunin is cheaper Craig Smith. Younger, cost controlled Smith. I'm honestly fine with it. .
What I'm struggling with honestly is the Turris buyout. The fact they couldn't find a taker is honestly shocking.

Even at 25% retained or something is a less worse deal than buying him out, unless it is a financial and not a hockey decision for the club.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Wonder if Johnny Hockey may not be the play here.

Trade one of Duchene or Joey for him. That way you can save some money and free up some cap room for the future.

Sign a guy like Haula to play second C and see what happens.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It would be pretty close to the bottom half of the league though lol.

Kunin is cheaper Craig Smith. Younger, cost controlled Smith. I'm honestly fine with it. .
What I'm struggling with honestly is the Turris buyout. The fact they couldn't find a taker is honestly shocking.

Even at 25% retained or something is a less worse deal than buying him out, unless it is a financial and not a hockey decision for the club.
My guess is he couldn't find a reasonable offer or at least not one that wasn't going to cost as much as the buyout. My guess is people were asking for retention and a pick or something and he wasn't going to eat cost and picks too.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Wonder if Johnny Hockey may not be the play here.

Trade one of Duchene or Joey for him. That way you can save some money and free up some cap room for the future.

Sign a guy like Haula to play second C and see what happens.

I think if either of Duchene or Johansen were going to be moved we wouldn't have bought out Turris. Doesn't make much sense to buy out Turris to then just sign someone that's on the same tier or worse to replace him.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
As much as RyJo and Duchene were hated on last year, their contracts will be fine outside of covid19 salary constraints/cap reconstruction. I am not worried about them. Last year was an abomination. Time to move forward. They still have talent and desire.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
As much as RyJo and Duchene were hated on last year, their contracts will be fine outside of covid19 salary constraints/cap reconstruction. I am not worried about them. Last year was an abomination. Time to move forward. They still have talent and desire.

I think that's really the question: how bad is the COVID internal salary cap? How much is the ownership group hurting?

Reactions: Enoch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad