Speculation: Armchair GM Thread II: What did the goalie say to the puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Also forgive me I am a polisci major geographic definitely makes more sense in hindsight lol

I too was a poli sci major. Still unsure why you would confuse a "european" i.e. person from the continent of europe with a member state of the European Union. Are swiss not european in your mind? What about the balkan states or Norway?!

Sweden is in Europe, whether you look it from cultural, geographical, political, historical, or whateveryouwantical perspective

Reactions: Flameshomer

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I still can't believe people think Finland is a Scandinavian country.

Eh, Finland was occupied by Sweden for such a long period of time that culturally it's mostly Scandinavian. I don't think it's that ridiculous, Finland is ethnically and linguistically unique but very similar in most other ways to Sweden and Norway.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Eh, Finland was occupied by Sweden for such a long period of time that culturally it's mostly Scandinavian. I don't think it's that ridiculous, Finland is ethnically and linguistically unique but very similar in most other ways to Sweden and Norway.

It counts as a Nordic country though. Denmark, Sweden, and Norway is Scandinavia. Oliver Bjorkstrand is the only player in the league who has is fully Scandinavian in the sense that he has well known ancestry from all 3 countries.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Talking about ethnicity, there's a bigger difference between eastern and western Finns than western Finn and other Europeans. This is purely based on some genetics mapping, and in practice there's no difference nowadays. Interesting stuff anyways for researchers who are interested in genetic diseases.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is off topic :laugh:
All I have to say. We win a lot of games because of a few Swedes and a Finn, all I really asked for.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Happy to say that I have Scandinavian ancestry. My Grandfather comes from a city on the border between Sweden and Finland. The city is on the Sweden side but my Grandfather's name, Taipaleenmaki, is definitely Finish.
Swedish and Finish players rock!

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Happy to say that I have Scandinavian ancestry. My Grandfather comes from a city on the border between Sweden and Finland. The city is on the Sweden side but my Grandfather's name, Taipaleenmaki, is definitely Finish.
Swedish and Finish players rock!

Yeah, 100% finnish name. "Taipaleen" is the genetive form of "Taival" (a walk, journey, trek is the best translation I can come up with) and Maki (or Mäki actually, same as in Välimäki) means hill. Journey's hill that is :)
So your family probably lived on a hill that took a long journey to reach, or on a hill that was along some typical journey.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yeah, 100% finnish name. "Taipaleen" is the genetive form of "Taival" (a walk, journey, trek is the best translation I can come up with) and Maki (or Mäki actually, same as in Välimäki) means hill. Journey's hill that is :)
So your family probably lived on a hill that took a long journey to reach, or on a hill that was along some typical journey.
That's very interesting. When he came to Canada he shortened his name to Maki. I don't blame him. Taipaleenmaki is very difficult to spell. ;)

Reactions: Kahvi

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
SInce we actually have a 1st rounder this year. Do you guys think we will target a defenceman or a forward this year assuming we keep it?

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
SInce we actually have a 1st rounder this year. Do you guys think we will target a defenceman or a forward this year assuming we keep it?

I could see us picking almost all defensemen in this next draft, we are very light at that position in our prospect pool.

I think teams draft BPA to an extent but a lot of it is based on trying to get high end players at each position and filling out the pool at each position in order to ice well-rounded pro teams as soon as possible. Given that our top D prospect will be Kylington since it seems like Valimaki and Andersson are here to stay, I think we almost definitely take a defenseman.

That being said if we're drafting very late in the first and he still looks good I could see us taking Spencer Knight instead. Team needs to solve its goaltending problem sooner than later.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I could see us picking almost all defensemen in this next draft, we are very light at that position in our prospect pool.

I think teams draft BPA to an extent but a lot of it is based on trying to get high end players at each position and filling out the pool at each position in order to ice well-rounded pro teams as soon as possible. Given that our top D prospect will be Kylington since it seems like Valimaki and Andersson are here to stay, I think we almost definitely take a defenseman.

That being said if we're drafting very late in the first and he still looks good I could see us taking Spencer Knight instead. Team needs to solve its goaltending problem sooner than later.
I somewhat agree. If its down to picking a fwd and a d-man and the fwd is the definite BPA, I think we will go with the fwd. But all things being equal I assume we will concentrate on d-men as we don't have a single one on our non-pro prospects list right now.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I somewhat agree. If its down to picking a fwd and a d-man and the fwd is the definite BPA, I think we will go with the fwd. But all things being equal I assume we will concentrate on d-men as we don't have a single one on our non-pro prospects list right now.

BPA definitely makes the most sense in the first round by far. Past there most of your picks are long shots anyways and sometimes your GM or even head of scouting will not have even seen them play. I think out of all the rounds, the first is where we're most likely to take a forward, but I still wager it's a d-man. Looks like there will be lots of good ones available too if we're picking in the late teens.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
The only thing we can say definitively about Finland is as follows:

- it gives us good goalies
- it gives us sexy posters who try to trick you with really strong black liquorice candies and lure you to their cabin in the woods :P
Strong Black liquorice candies... I am hoping Cannabis infused but I suspect I am sadly mistaken.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Hoping for a forward with our 1st. Sure we are running low on d-man prospects, but we have no real high end forward prospect to look forward to at all. We have lots of guys with big potential, but really high bust potential.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Hoping for a forward with our 1st. Sure we are running low on d-man prospects, but we have no real high end forward prospect to look forward to at all. We have lots of guys with big potential, but really high bust potential.

I think Dube will look like a different player at next year's camp if Treliving does the right thing and has him sent to the Heat. Still believe he can be a difference maker if he isn't rushed into the league and encouraged to play a bottom sixer's game.

Mangiapane has high end potential as well, has just taken some time to marinate. I think he should be up here this year over Dube but I doubt he's being overcooked. Also worth mentioning that Gawdin has looked good to start the year in Stockton but I'll admit that I'm higher on him than most people here.

Meanwhile on defense our top prospect is Kylington, who will probably be an NHLer but likely caps out as a #4, and Valiyev, who won't sniff the NHL. I definitely prefer a defenseman with our first pick.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

I think it's almost a rule of thumb that you never draft goalies with a 1st rounder these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad