Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Bennett won't score over 40 points until he gets top 6 time and/or the coaching staff figure out how to run a 2nd PP

It's pretty hard (maybe impossible but I haven't checked) to score 40 5v5 points without top 6 time

Edit: i checked, yeah it's damn near impossible unless you play with Crosby

If you want to score 40+ points in this league you are going to need to be in a top 6 and at least on a semi successful PP

Fwiw, Bennett has as many 5v5 points as Backlund this year and only 3 less than Tkachuk. He's been easily the best bottom 6 Flames especially since his 0-15 stretch. He probably should be in the top 6 somewhere.

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
David Perron could be a solid signing. He'd slot well with Tkachuk and Backlund. My preference would still be Domi. I think he'd thrive here.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Domi/Perron
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Bennett won't score over 40 points until he gets top 6 time and/or the coaching staff figure out how to run a 2nd PP

It's pretty hard (maybe impossible but I haven't checked) to score 40 5v5 points without top 6 time

Edit: i checked, yeah it's damn near impossible unless you play with Crosby

If you want to score 40+ points in this league you are going to need to be in a top 6 and at least on a semi successful PP

Fwiw, Bennett has as many 5v5 points as Backlund this year and only 3 less than Tkachuk. He's been easily the best bottom 6 Flames especially since his 0-15 stretch. He probably should be in the top 6 somewhere.
Yeah I know I get frustrated with how crappy the third line plays sometimes but honestly Bennett's 5v5 production has been at a solid 2nd line level since the first 15 games of the season he just doesn't get much time anywhere else and the 2nd PP unit is trash. He also has had some below average puckluck for most of the season.

The first unit has been clicking for a while so I'd leave them but I'd make changes to the 2nd.

Bennett-Backlund-Ferland
Brodie-Versteeg when he gets back.

I know some people have been clamoring for Stone on the PP because of his shot but I don't like it. He isn't very good at getting it through and his offensive instincts are poor. Hell Kulak has more points and he plays way less, has 10 less games played and has never gotten PP time.

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This team won't get anywhere until one of Tkachuk or Gaudreau is converted to the right wing full-time, allowing Bennett to move up to a top 6 role

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Bennett - Backlund - Ferland

That's a top six that gets **** done.

This team is always going to struggle with ferland in the top 6
Dude doesn't come to play half the time
And I am being generous...

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

That's a top six that gets **** done.

Who takes the defensive role in that case?

A Frolik-Shore-Lazar line might be able to handle it but that put Jankowski down to the 4th line. Can't have Jankowski as the main defensive center as he isn't close to good enough for that.

But Backlund with those two guys cannot be taking the prime defensive role because those wingers are not good enough defensively to handle that.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
My dream lineup:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Jankowski-Versteeg
Brouwer/Stajan-Shore-Lazar

Reactions: Rockmorton

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Who takes the defensive role in that case?

A Frolik-Shore-Lazar line might be able to handle it but that put Jankowski down to the 4th line. Can't have Jankowski as the main defensive center as he isn't close to good enough for that.

But Backlund with those two guys cannot be taking the prime defensive role because those wingers are not good enough defensively to handle that.

Ferland isn't bad defensively, not as good as Frolik but not at all a liability. Bennett is going to end up a shutdown forward with average to decent offense, he has been far better defensively than offensively both this year and last. I think in his prime he'll roughly be what Tkachuk was last year but faster.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Ferland isn't bad defensively, not as good as Frolik but not at all a liability. Bennett is going to end up a shutdown forward with average to decent offense, he has been far better defensively than offensively both this year and last. I think in his prime he'll roughly be what Tkachuk was last year but faster.

Ferland is interesting. There are way too many times that he is completely out of place or standing still covering nobody. I am not sure if these are mental mistakes or a lack of defensive understanding but based on how he plays defense right now he may be the last guy I want on a defensive line.

Now this may be because he has to cheat to keep up with Monahan and Gaudreau offensively so is solely focused on that part of the game and just ignoring the defensive part. Maybe if given a defensive role he will focus on the defensive issues and improve there but right now he is terrible defensively.

The other issue is that if line has the bulk of our defensive responsibilities than who is the secondary scoring line? Because Ferland and Bennett are weak enough offensively now with better linemates (Ferland) and better zone starts/assginments (both) so its tough to see them produce offensively if they are constantly getting tough match-ups.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Looking forward to next season, I'd like to see the following lines:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Foo/Ferland
Why? Next season, Foo should be ready for prime time, and skating with Gaudreau/Monahan might help him build early confidence. If not, back to Ferland.

Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
It isn't broken, so why fix it? Also, if GG remains coach, these guys won't be split up so it's almost not even worth discussing...

Bennett - Jankowski - Ferland/Foo
I think this line has potential to be dominant for a week, three or four times during the season. (Foo can switch for Ferland as needed) Ferland is a better fit than Hathaway IMO.

Klimchuk - Shore - Brouwer/Lazar/Hathaway
I think Klimchuk will be with the team full time next season as well, likely taking that 4LW spot. Brouwer's duties will be split with Lazar.

There isn't a UFA hero this off-season. Any holes to be filled need to be internal or via trade.

Trading an established defenseman is the obvious scenario - Andersson and Kylington are both on the cusp right now; could see either or both in the lineup next season.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Assuming that free agency and trades are minimal at best in pursuit of a top 6 RW...mainly due to lack of higher end assets that could potentially be used to obtain it. I would like to see at least training camp and possibly the first few games next season trying out
Tkachuk-Monahan- not sure
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
offensive wing prospect-Backlund-Frolik
lazar/shore-Jankowski-Brouwer

before everyone says bennett should not be center...I did say training camp not permanent..I still see something in him that tells me with the right role AND players he could be really effective as a scoring center and believe that he should be given an extended chance with Gaudreau or Tkachuk.
Assuming free agency/trades are minimal I think that Bennett is a lynch pin to the flames success and forward line scoring if he can get it together offensively with Gaudreau or Tkachuk we should be way better off next year but if he can't we may as well tear it down again as the teams forward scoring issues will be the same.
and before everyone says Ferland should be the Monahan Lines RW...I really think that Ferland needs Gaudreau to be offensively successful

it really doesn't matter the order of the lines as an effective coach should be managing 5 vs 5 ice time based on performance and PP/PK requirements

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm sorry Lazar Beams but your lineup makes me sick to my stomach. This team has proven this year that the forward core can't get it done consistently enough to be a true playoff threat. That needs to change, dramatically. Sticking with essentially what we have is recipe for failure.

Unless we have a coaching change which somehow completely changes the dynamic of our forward group, we need more punch, and better depth.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Is Spencer Foo even playing well enough to make the team next year let alone on the top line?

I thought he was ok at best in the AHL.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Toews has apparently the worst contract in the league, so trade Brouwer straight across for him

Tkachuk-Toews-Ferland
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Mangiapane-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Jankowski-Shore

Goddamn that looks good

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Toews has apparently the worst contract in the league, so trade Brouwer straight across for him

Tkachuk-Toews-Ferland
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Mangiapane-Backlund-Frolik
Lazar-Jankowski-Shore

Goddamn that looks good
Sigh, fine, we'll help out the Hawks and take that off their books.

/s

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm sorry Lazar Beams but your lineup makes me sick to my stomach. This team has proven this year that the forward core can't get it done consistently enough to be a true playoff threat. That needs to change, dramatically. Sticking with essentially what we have is recipe for failure.

Unless we have a coaching change which somehow completely changes the dynamic of our forward group, we need more punch, and better depth.

I'd try this out. Oddly enough, Calgary already has the RW for that Monahan line. Versteeg.

Edit: quoted wrong post. Will fix my terrible mistake later.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Frolik
Hathaway - Shore - Brouwer

Brouwer not bought out as there are no big UFA acquisitions

Reactions: Dack

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Monahan-Jankowski-Tkachuk
Byron-Backlund-Versteeg
Frolik-Shore-Lazar

Why are we playing two guys out of position on the second line and handcuffing them with Jankowski?

Seems like such a waste of Monahan and Tkachuk's talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad