Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Discussion in 'Calgary Flames' started by Vali Maki Sushi, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. snipetype

snipetype Registered User

I donno they clearly need blue line help more than anything.

And if I’m a GM I don’t know if I even prefer Bennett to a Fox or Andersson.

2. Lazar Beams

Lazar Beams 'tis but a Scratch!

Retired.
    Interesting tidbit from this article:
    LeBrun | Flames need one more piece up front

3. No Draft

No Draft Registered User

Professional Fan
    Home Page:

There is nothing to trade....

I think if they want to upgrade they have to part with Brodie or Hamilton

Bennett value is low and it's risky to trade him....perhaps some fool may trade for Ferland...

4. Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville The Return of a Legend

Manager
    We need Domi, make it so.

Janks, Mobiandi and snipetype like this.
  5. The Gnome

The Gnome Registered User

I'd be on board with Domi, He shouldn't cost more than one of our better defensive prospects.

6. Cyrano

Cyrano 1st Line Elite Homer

I think he would cost us Valimaki or Fox. Domi still has a boatload of potential, smart GMs don't move young players who were making an impact as early as Domi was. Then again, Chayka is not a smart GM.

7. The Gnome

The Gnome Registered User

Well, then we have to hope management has a good handle and projects those guys well enough to make an informed decision as to Domi's value vs. those two dmen. If they feel the value is there with Domi then you do that trade. If you think Valimaki and/or Fox are going to be top pairing talents, you likely don't.

8. Cyrano

I personally think that at least one of them is going to be a number one guy, if not both, but at the same time I think Domi is likely a top line forward provided he escapes from the gong show that is the Yotes. The main thing is that Domi doesn't really fill a need for us right now, which is why I would balk at moving either Valimaki or Fox.

9. snipetype

snipetype Registered User

How does Domi not fill a need? We have almost no skill in our bottom six other than Bennett and Janko. And those guys are horribly inconsistent. The game is going all skill imo.

I can see if you disagree with trading one of the top D prospects in the league, but to say we don’t need more skill up front is just wrong IMO.

10. Cyrano

We need more skill in the top six, not the bottom six. A move that would allow us to put Ferland or Frolik into our bottom six makes us a deeper team, not just adding another guy who can ring up 30 garbage points while leaving the top six intact - see the linked LeBrun article. (All that being said, Domi is a top six guy, or a top six guy in the making at least.)

My biggest problem is that we're set at LW, if we're going to spend good assets like a top prospect it should be for a player that checks every box, not another guy playing on his off-wing or down the lineup. We also don't need to get smaller - yes, Domi is a mean little bastard but he can't protect the puck like a larger forward can.

11. Dack

Dack Registered User

I think Domi can probably play either wing. Moving Ferland down to the bottom 6 shouldn't be a priority IMO. I think if you move him down he might be a 30 point guy, if you can have him give you 45-50 on the first line and have another guy who produces 50 on the third I think that's more spread out than say a 60 point player on the first line and hoping that our bottom 6 magically doesn't suck. Unless Ferland happens to have great chemistry with Bennett I'd just leave him where he is.

Calculon likes this.
  12. Calculon

Calculon unholy acting talent

It's probably not a coincidence that the majority of Treliving's recent forward acquisitions have all been right shot right wingers/centremen

F.Hamilton/Brouwer/Chiasson/Pribyl/Versteeg/Lazar/Foo/Shore/Stewart

vs.

Glass/Jagr/Hrivik

Nor is it a coincidence that both Monahan and Gaudreau are having their best years with Ferland next to them.

13. Flames Fanatic

Flames Fanatic Mediocre

While I understand the approach you are taking, our bottom six not producing is more of a problem then bumping Ferland down to the bottom six, nor do I think he manages to single handedly make a big enough difference in the bottom six by himself.

Really hoping some young guys steal some spots next year, because somehow I suspect we'll end up bringing Versteeg and Stajan back.

Dack likes this.
  14. Fig

Fig Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis

Would any of you entertain the idea of moving Ferland+ for that skill upgrade? It's the only way I can think we can afford some of the player names being thrown around. For instance, Hoffman and Domi. I think both teams are more willing to chat if they get a roster player back.

Moving Ferland+ is undesirable, I get that. But I'm also wondering if push came to shove, you think a team would be open to a quality for quantity trade rather than the futures/prospect options generally discussed?

While I don't believe Ferland will end up like Bouma due to injuries, there is that risk he could really slow down and I wonder if it's a factor worth considering. I'd even look as far as to discuss the idea of signing Ferland as a FA once his contract expires. I honestly at times wonder if his career will end up similar to Chris Stewart's career if injuries stack up. Not horrible, but definitely worth considering in terms of selling high and buying low.

But overall I am wondering whether it's time to cash out while his value is highest and other options being contemplated are low and will likely never be as low again.

15. Dack

Dack Registered User

I think next season Mangiapane needs to be given more NHL time with top 9 minutes. He's not going to contribute much playing 8 minutes a night in the 4th line.

Vali Maki Sushi likes this.
  16. Cyrano

I think quantity for quality is pretty much our only way to make a hockey trade without opening up a big hole elsewhere. If a team would bite on Ferland+ for a top line RW I'd do it.

17. No Draft

No Draft Registered User

Professional Fan
    Home Page:
    He already did....He is really not a top 6 player. A pylon may get a few goals playing with Gaudreau.

He has size and stats (if one do not look closely) so maybe somebody may bite. I would trade him for a real top 6 RW

InfinityIggy and Vali Maki Sushi like this.
  18. InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy No Longer Flammable

I’d be completely fine trading Ferland+ for a real top 6 option.

19. Calculon

Yeah, it's real easy to pile up the points next to Gaudreau and Monahan. Just look at Stewart, Brouwer, Chiasson, Versteeg. Oh wait, they all sucked.

It's crazy how underrated Ferland's become. But not as crazy as the idea of trading a 20 goal scorer plus for a 25 goal scorer. I mean clearly that would solve everything.

Cyrano likes this.
  20. BobColesNasalCavity

BobColesNasalCavity Registered User

Ferland also has 2 goals since February 1. He better have been playing with a broken arm or fractured tibia or something because at one point it was looking like he might score 30-35 goals.

InfinityIggy likes this.
  21. Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville The Return of a Legend

Manager
    Again, the guy we need is J.T. Miller. Makes way to much sense. Either him or Bjugstad.

InfinityIggy likes this.
  22. Mobiandi

Mobiandi Seanny Gaudreau

It's not about goals. It's about getting someone who can get ~50-60 points. Ferland only has 17 assists this season

Janks and InfinityIggy like this.
  23. Calculon

Yeah, cold streaks are a thing that no player in this league are immune to.

I really don't get this obsession with the top line right wing spot when the problem is clearly depth scoring. I mean, seriously, feel free to list all the teams with three point per game (or whatever crazy standard people expect) first liners playing together.

snipetype likes this.
  24. InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy No Longer Flammable

It’s not about having a PPG guy to play with Gaudreau and Monahan. It’s about having an actual viable option on the RW that isn’t named Frolik. Ferland is talented no doubt but he is not a top 6 player any way you slice it. You have to cherry pick his best career streaks to argue he belongs in anyone’s top 6 spot. This coaching staff refuses to use Gaudreau on the RW, so it is what it is.

Vali Maki Sushi and Mobiandi like this.
  25. Calculon

In an ideal world, sure, it'd be great to have a Kucherov on the top line. In the real world however, where scarcity and limited resources are actual concepts, the much, much bigger priority should be finding a second or third line right winger to upgrade Frolik or more critically, Hathaway.

It's myopic and patently unnecessary to focus getting Gaudreau an offensive bump when he's already on pace for 92 points with Ferland as the top line right winger for the vast majority of the season. As for Monahan, it seems like he's always going to be between 60 and 70 points regardless.

Teams need at least three scoring lines to be successful to today's NHL, not one or two.

snipetype likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.