Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2021-2022 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not sure if this has been posted in this thread (well previous thread actually). If it has, sorry. If it hasn't... its good to know what Flames management thinks of Adam Larsson.

Yeah Larsson is rock solid defensively. Having him and Tanev on the right side would be ridiculous.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Larsson would be a great partner for Valimaki. Really good defensively and quite physical. I worry about any player like that that has had some back problems in the past though. He was also not very good prior to last season with the Oilers other than 2016-17.

If we do lose Gio I wouldn't have an issue throwing a decent offer his way.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
That would be some pretty good depth on RD in Tanev, Larsson and Andersson.

And down the left side, if we could somehow bring in Martinez too, that would give us a lot of depth all across the board.

Hanifin - Tanev
Martinez - Andersson
Valimaki - Larsson

Jeez, that looks pretty nice. Not sure how to make it work financially, but that's not my job.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
That would be some pretty good depth on RD in Tanev, Larsson and Andersson.

And down the left side, if we could somehow bring in Martinez too, that would give us a lot of depth all across the board.

Hanifin - Tanev
Martinez - Andersson
Valimaki - Larsson

Jeez, that looks pretty nice. Not sure how to make it work financially, but that's not my job.

It's not too awful. Assuming Larsson is around that 4 number, and Martinez is in the 4-5 range, there's an increase on Gio/Stone, but only 1-2 million. I may be out to lunch on Martinez though, so who knows.

Edit: Evolving Hockey, which is usually pretty good on their projections (including recently nailing the number on Hesakainen) has him at 5.844, so it would be a little bit more.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCDM

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
it'd be pretty sexy to get someone like Larsson to make the right side of the D very formidable (assuming last year was growing pains for Andersson and he comes in stronger this season). Not sure how pertinent it is to add a big name on the left side, compared to looking at depth guys to compliment the forward core while trusting in Valimaki/Kylington/Mackey to hold water.

On the other hand it'd be a very Flames move to sign someone like Edler to be a turnover machine and block younger guys from getting into the lineup. Hopefully we stay clear of Edler.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder how well Markstrom, Lindholm, Andersson, and Backlund know Larsson? Its been reported that Lindholm's friendship with Markstrom played a role in his signing here rather than Edmonton.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Adding both Larsson and Martinez for over 10M would be such a Treliving thing to do when this team desperately needs another top six forward, and more depth scoring.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Bye Nikey

Wasn't this announced like a month ago? Unless I'm mistaking him for someone else.

Edit: No, it is the children who are wrong. From June 21:
However, despite the optimism, Nesterov again didn’t impress and suited up for just 38 of Calgary’s 56 games this season, with four assists. He will return to Russia on a one-year deal with CSKA Moscow, the team he played for from 2017-2020. This could be the last we will see of him in the NHL.

https://thehockeywriters.com/flames-tocchet-ward-nesterov/

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If we could replace Stone and Gio with Martinez and Larsson, I think we end up better and help the kids develop more until they can carry their own lines. Definitely a pipe-dream though, Martinez is going to be highly sought after I think

Hanifin - Tanev
Martinez - Ras
Vali - Larsson
Mackey

I would love either one. Both might be tough, and I’ll stand by this comment all day. We didn’t suck because we couldn’t score last season. We could not defend and we were a joke to play against. Darryl is our coach and he’s going to want horses on the backend. I know everyone (including myself) wants another stud up front, but we missed the playoffs last season because we lost Brodie, pure and simple. That loss was devastating and anyone who doesn’t think so is in denial. Tanev and Hanifin were really our only bright spots, the rest was not good to quite bad. Adding Larsson and another LHD is essentially a must if Gio goes and it will help Vali and Rasmus so much.

Up front we will see the continued growth of Mangi, Dube hopefully and Pelletier and Zary aren’t far off.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Larsson and Tanev on the same team is the definition of redundant
Is it though? Tanev is an ideal partner for Hanifin but also Valimaki. Get both run with

Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Larsson
Andersson

We could allow both Hanifin and Valimaki to focus on their offensive side while still having a top 4 shut down D on the ice with them. Ironically signing another shut down D could allow us to fill in the offensive hole from Giordano in house. Not to mention until last year which was shortened Tanev usually missed time with injuries so having a replacement is not a bad idea

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Is it though? Tanev is an ideal partner for Hanifin but also Valimaki. Get both run with

Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Larsson
Andersson

We could allow both Hanifin and Valimaki to focus on their offensive side while still having a top 4 shut down D on the ice with them. Ironically signing another shut down D could allow us to fill in the offensive hole from Giordano in house. Not to mention until last year which was shortened Tanev usually missed time with injuries so having a replacement is not a bad idea

It’s not redundant, Tanev was our only defender that could actually defend. Larsson isn’t offensive but he’s a good skater and can pass. He’s got really good size and he plays physical, something Tanev doesn’t really do who relies more on skill and positioning. Having both would make us much harder to play against and would make Markstrom look so much better.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
With Gio gone there goes any semblance of offence from the backend. Hate to say it, but Barrie would probably be a better fit than Larsson

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Is it though?

Yes it is.

Offense from the backend is vital, and probably has more impact on a team's success than their "shutdown" ability. One tanev is fine, but just one.

I look to the 2010 blackhawks' backend as a good framework for how to make a top 4D

Top Pair
1D - Productive, elite skater, with shutdown instinct (Keith)
2D - Productive, elite point shot, (Seabrook)

Second Pair
3D - Productive, elite skater (Campbell)
4D - Shutdown guy (Hjalmarsson)

Tanev / Hjalmarsson is a role we have filled. Larsson can't fill those three other roles. And he's a natural right shot so he probably shouldn't be paired with Andersson (who, in turn, fills the Seabrook role). Giordano also fills that Seabrook niche in a hypothetical world where he makes it through expansion.

The roles we're missing are a Campbell (hopefully Hanifin can get better and more offensive) and a Keith (but this org is too braindead to play Kylington)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
With Gio gone there goes any semblance of offence from the backend. Hate to say it, but Barrie would probably be a better fit than Larsson
Uh... no he wouldn't. We'd all be pulling our hair out by mid season. Some people thought Brodie was bad at time... Barrie is 10x worse.
I'm hoping that Andersson and Valimaki can step up their O game this season.
Also, Hanifin has the talent to be a 30 pt dman again.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Uh... no he wouldn't. We'd all be pulling our hair out by mid season. Some people thought Brodie was bad at time... Barrie is 10x worse.
I'm hoping that Andersson and Valimaki can step up their O game this season.
Also, Hanifin has the talent to be a 30 pt dman again.
Yeah, and they’d be pulling out their hair with how incompetent the offence would be with Larsson, Tanev, Hanifin, Andersson as your top 4.

I’d bet without any changes up front, and rolling with that top 4, this team would be bottom 5 in GF.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Yeah, and they’d be pulling out their hair with how incompetent the offence would be with Larsson, Tanev, Hanifin, Andersson as your top 4.

I’d bet without any changes up front, and rolling with that top 4, this team would be bottom 5 in GF.
In the 48 points that Barrie scored last season either McDavid or Draisaitl or both helped out on 42 of them. He won't get that kind of assistance in Calgary. Not even close.

IGGY2JOHNNY

Apr 22, 2018
Looking at UFA, I thinj Alec Martinez could be the perfect Gio replacement. I know he will be highly sought after but he plays a very solid game and he did play under Sutter in LA and won with him so maybe there’s a connection there. Would give us a top 4 of:
Hanifin,Tanev
Martinez,Andersson

I just don’t see the fit with Larsson unless we are signing him and trading Andersson for some help upfront. Having 3 guys on the right side making 4M+ each would be hard to fit in

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
In the 48 points that Barrie scored last season either McDavid or Draisaitl or both helped out on 42 of them. He won't get that kind of assistance in Calgary. Not even close.
In part because he did his job well - get the puck into the hands of the forwards. Sounds like a very useful tool

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yes it is.

Offense from the backend is vital, and probably has more impact on a team's success than their "shutdown" ability. One tanev is fine, but just one.

I look to the 2010 blackhawks' backend as a good framework for how to make a top 4D

Top Pair
1D - Productive, elite skater, with shutdown instinct (Keith)
2D - Productive, elite point shot, (Seabrook)

Second Pair
3D - Productive, elite skater (Campbell)
4D - Shutdown guy (Hjalmarsson)

Tanev / Hjalmarsson is a role we have filled. Larsson can't fill those three other roles. And he's a natural right shot so he probably shouldn't be paired with Andersson (who, in turn, fills the Seabrook role). Giordano also fills that Seabrook niche in a hypothetical world where he makes it through expansion.

The roles we're missing are a Campbell (hopefully Hanifin can get better and more offensive) and a Keith (but this org is too braindead to play Kylington)

There’s many examples though, the Kings in 2014 had Regehr, McNabb, Green and Martinez. Yes they had an elite Doughty, but lots of defensive dmen which Sutter really leans on.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
$4 million bottom pairing Dmen are not the way. Engelland and Stone showed us that.

I will say that it was extremely concerning to hear that Tanev played through fractured ribs for 2 months so I wouldn't be opposed to cheap cover that could fill his spot when needed, but the key word is cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad