Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2021-2022 IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Between Goodrow and the Rangers, Zach Hyman is the real winner when it comes to that contract extension. Stay away Brad

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lots of people want to see Monahan traded but could there possibly be a worse time to trade Mony? He just had the two worst years of his career so his trade value is at its lowest. I'm all for giving him a year to bounce back. I'd rather trade Gaudreau if someone needs to be traded and Treliving knows for sure that the price to keep him is just too high,

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Treliving should try revisiting Monahan for Buchnevich. Would probably have to retain or add.

One situation to watch: Pavel Buchnevich, Rangers. Arbitration eligible. UFA next summer. Too expensive to keep? Other teams like him.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Goodrow getting almost 4 million for 6 yrs and has scored more than 20 pts in a year once. Flat cap doesn’t mean shit to some.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Goodrow getting almost 4 million for 6 yrs and has scored more than 20 pts in a year once. Flat cap doesn’t mean shit to some.
Excellent 3rd liner… but that’s about it I’d think. No way he lives up to that contract

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Treliving should try revisiting Monahan for Buchnevich. Would probably have to retain or add.
I don't know what to make of Buch. Rangers fans make him out to be the second coming of Datsyuk and yet they all know he's out the door

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I don't know what to make of Buch. Rangers fans make him out to be the second coming of Datsyuk and yet they all know he's out the door
Heh, Rangers fans act everyone of their players and prospects are future hall of famers.

From reading their board on and off, their center depth is weak and they've already committed significant cap towards Panarin, Trouba, and Krieder while Fox, Lanfrenier, Miller and Kakko will need to be re-signed over the next couple of years. Basically, they can't afford to allocate the 6 or 7M they speculate Buch will want given that's he's a winger and they already have a lot of them.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Lots of people want to see Monahan traded but could there possibly be a worse time to trade Mony? He just had the two worst years of his career so his trade value is at its lowest. I'm all for giving him a year to bounce back. I'd rather trade Gaudreau if someone needs to be traded and Treliving knows for sure that the price to keep him is just too high,
If he plays next year without Gaudreau, its possible his value could drop even lower, to the point of him being a negative asset (he's arguably almost at that point already, IMO).

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If he plays next year without Gaudreau, its possible his value could drop even lower, to the point of him being a negative asset (he's arguably almost at that point already, IMO).
You and I will have to disagree. Monahan doesn't need Gaudreau to score goals (which is what he does best). He just needs someone capable of feeding him the puck in the slot. I have faith that Mony will bounce back, with or without JG. He's 26 and far from being past his prime. He's just played the last couple of seasons hurt and fortunately they weren't the recurring type injuries... just bad luck.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Depends. I think someone like Mangi could get him back into the 40-50 point range potentially.

I don't hate the idea of:
Mnagi - Monahan - Dube

I also don't love it, if you know what I mean.

I feel like Monahan + Giordano off the books for ~13 million bucks is a lot of cap space we sort of just fell ass backwards into. Not that both aren't good players when healthy, I think it also helps sort of navigate the waters a bit better in terms of longterm views.

We can pick up Jack Eichel without having to send a ton salary back to Buffalo if that's something they are prioritizing.
We can grab some short term boom or bust FA's where we could flip for further assets.
We're a Gaudreau contract sale away from likely being a bottom feeder, and moving his contract alone won't be overly difficult.

It kind of helps us decide if we want to rebuild, retool, or status quo.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
The only time outside of his rookie season that Sean Monahan hasn't scored at a 50+ point pace was during the last 26 games of this season where he was playing with a significant injury.. I honestly don't get it.. this board acts as if Monahan hasn't scored more than 30 points in three or four seasons.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Dunno.
His relative numbers are pretty much dead-even in the middle of the team, which starts as a 'meh, vanilla' then you swap over to see how much that guy is asked to do in Edmonton and it's legitimately absurd. Think about how much we leaned heavily on Hanifin and Tanev this season to start in the defensive zone against some ugly competition; Larsson literally does that at a 5% increased rate than those two guys over the past 3 seasons on an incredibly more inept Oilers team.

I honestly think Calgary will try and emulate Montreal model (not that I approve), and the 6'3'' 215 frame of Larsson will be something they look at long and hard. Plus, Swedish, come on man.

Exactly this. We would not ask Larsson to do what Edmonton does of him. I think he would thrive here and I love the idea of enticing Buffalo with Andersson for Eichel and having Larsson step in. Larsson was beginning to go beast mode in NJ, going to Edmonton really hurt his game.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Exactly this. We would not ask Larsson to do what Edmonton does of him. I think he would thrive here and I love the idea of enticing Buffalo with Andersson for Eichel and having Larsson step in. Larsson was beginning to go beast mode in NJ, going to Edmonton really hurt his game.
My only question is he a product of the Oilers system, or a contributor to it?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Depends. I think someone like Mangi could get him back into the 40-50 point range potentially.
He's never really been below a 40-50 pt range with the exception of his 1st and last season. Now yes, last year he had 28 pts but that was an exceptional 56 game season where for at least half of that he played on a painful hip that needed surgery. A healthy 27 year old Monahan will score 50 pts easy... I have no doubt. He was scoring at a pretty good pace before the injury.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Larsson would be a fantastic add for you guys. Especially in Sutter's system.

Just my two cents.
If we could replace Stone and Gio with Martinez and Larsson, I think we end up better and help the kids develop more until they can carry their own lines. Definitely a pipe-dream though, Martinez is going to be highly sought after I think

Hanifin - Tanev
Martinez - Ras
Vali - Larsson
Mackey

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If we could replace Stone and Gio with Martinez and Larsson, I think we end up better and help the kids develop more until they can carry their own lines. Definitely a pipe-dream though, Martinez is going to be highly sought after I think

Hanifin - Tanev
Martinez - Ras
Vali - Larsson
Mackey
I would definitely put Larsson ahead on Andersson in this hypothetical depth chart.

Reactions: Janks

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not sure if this has been posted in this thread (well previous thread actually). If it has, sorry. If it hasn't... its good to know what Flames management thinks of Adam Larsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad