Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If lucic continues to play the way he has then Ryan isn't a top 9 player on this team. He easily could be on other teams like Ottawa. He is a luxury at this point incase we lose a center to injury or covid
On what planet is Milan Lucic a better player than Derek Ryan? Lucic has been atrocious save for the last 2 games. Ryan is a provably better player over extended sample sizes.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
On what planet is Milan Lucic a better player than Derek Ryan? Lucic has been atrocious save for the last 2 games. Ryan is a provably better player over extended sample sizes.

As long as lucic is moving his feet and not taking bad penalties his physical play is needed and won't show up on the stat sheet. Lucic has also been making good plays more than just the last 2 games and I didn't even want him in the lineup to start the year but you have to give credit where it's due. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I don't think it's about Ryan being the better player, it's about Ryan and the role expected to be played of him. When Lucic - Backlund - Mangiapane are playing effectively it is on the backs of a heavy forecheck for Mangiapane and Lucic getting the puck. Specifically when it's dumped in, Lucic creates a lot of turnovers by simply skating in and forcing the defencemen to make a play/get hit, allowing the Flames to gain possession. That's something I noticed quite a bit yesterday for when that line got possession and zone time, it came off of Mangiapane and Lucic being uber-aggressive and working together in a way I'm not sure Ryan could do.

in all reality the Lucic - Backlund - Mangiapane line is the same as Hathaway - Ryan - Mangiapane line in style just with different pieces in play. Hathaway/Lucic and Mangiapane cycle while Ryan/Backlund are there to make smart passes and create chances for the other two with those plays. Putting Ryan into the spot Lucic is in now messes with the makeup of the line a bit too much for my taste

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think Ryan is less than ideal, in a 4th line role. Personally, I like an aggressive and physical 4th line. Ryan is just not that guy but his defensive skills would be missed. I wonder if it'd be possible to upgrade him.
With the new management on the Pens and the apparent agenda to win now, despite probably being ready for a rebuild, Hextall has his work cut out for him. With next to no capspace or picks and and empty prospect pool, this seems like a pretty tall order. Would something like Ryan + 2nd for Tanev make sense?
Ryan is still useful and an expiring contract. The move would free up approximately $6 million in capspace, before the expansion draft and two picks in the first 4 rounds, for the Pens. For us, I'm not a fan of his contract and we probably couldn't protect him but if he's selected, it could simply be viewed as deadline shopping, prior to the deadline.

Reactions: Nanuuk

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Tanev has 4 years left after this one at $3.5M as a 25-30 point player. Easy pass. Horrible contract and arguably not even an upgrade.

Ryan getting hurt and the team putting it together are pure coincidence IMO.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Tanev has 4 years left after this one at $3.5M as a 25-30 point player. Easy pass. Horrible contract and arguably not even an upgrade.

Ryan getting hurt and the team outing it together are pure coincidence IMO.
Tanev brings a more physical and aggressive style of play, that Ryan simply isn't capable of, while maintaining a similar level of defensive responsibility. He's about a million dollars overpaid, IMO, but there's also a high probability that he'd be selected in the draft. Personally, I think he makes our bottom 6 much harder to play against, than Ryan.

Reactions: Nanuuk

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Tanev brings a more physical and aggressive style of play, that Ryan simply isn't capable of, while maintaining a similar level of defensive responsibility. He's about a million dollars overpaid, IMO, but there's also a high probability that he'd be selected in the draft. Personally, I think he makes our bottom 6 much harder to play against, than Ryan.
Tanev is overpaid by about 4 years is the thing. And with guys like Mangiapane, and Bennett potentially being exposed, you can’t guarantee he’ll be taken.

I also think the term “hard to play against” gets wrongfully associated with pure physicality. A fast team is hard to play against, a smart team is hard to play against, a skilled team is hard to play against.

I just don’t buy into the idea that you need a crash and bang 4th line. You have Lucic, you have Bennett, you have Tkachuk, you have guys like Lindholm and Backlund who are physical enough sprinkled through the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad