Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Big difference between Buffalo and Ottawa's rebuilds already if we're being honest. Buffalo didn't really have anyone, got Eichel and Dahlin, but have no supporting cast. Ottawa has Chabot and Tkachuk to be came changers, and then have a host of prospects, on top of the good scouting that will help them with all the picks they have this draft. They are set up for success for sure

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Big difference between Buffalo and Ottawa's rebuilds already if we're being honest. Buffalo didn't really have anyone, got Eichel and Dahlin, but have no supporting cast. Ottawa has Chabot and Tkachuk to be came changers, and then have a host of prospects, on top of the good scouting that will help them with all the picks they have this draft. They are set up for success for sure

Totally disagree. Buffalo had Ryan O'Reilly and misused him. Other draftees include Zardorov, Reinhart, Brandon Lemieux, Casey Mittelstadt, Nylander, Cozens and Ryan Johnson. In addition to these names Buffalo has drafted an average number of b level prospects. The issue in Buffalo has been development. Reinhart, Nylander, Mittelstadt, Lemieux and Zardorov were all developed poorly and are nowhere even close to their projected potential with the exception of Zardorov who was shipped out into the Av's system.

When it comes to the farm team there has been no real development of their b level prospects. The problem in Buffalo is getting these young players developed.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The Pittsburgh/rebuild scorched earth model has been destroyed by the Leafs.

People get paid too much coming out of entry level. Makes it almost impossible to stockpile talent like you could before

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The Pittsburgh/rebuild scorched earth model has been destroyed by the Leafs.

People get paid too much coming out of entry level. Makes it almost impossible to stockpile talent like you could before

But it wouldn't have even been an issue if the Leafs hadn't signed the top Free Agent in the last decade or so.

The single biggest issue with the leafs is their defense. Everyone knows it, If they wanted John Tavares there is no way they should have kept Marner. Had they traded him for a young d man they would be absolutley fine and have cap room to spare.

Again failed rebuilds aren't usually the result of luck, the truth is most NHL GMs kind of suck at their jobs.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I was listening to the Fan 960(just know), they had Elliotte Friedman on and Elliotte Friedman said that Brad Trevling was trying to do something big on trade deadline and he could not pull it off on time. Elliotte Friedman said that another GM told him that there were a lot of big trades that were being planned but they did not go through for one reason or another. And the this GM also told Elliotte Friedman that Brad Trevling was in the thick of it. Elliotte Friedman said that this GM told him that most of these trades will likely happen on the draft or come July 1st.

Elliotte Friedman said that the 2 Defense men that Brad Trevling got were in his back pocket and Brad Trevling was trying for something big but that some big did not happen so Brad Trevling did the deals he had in his back pocket. Elliotte Friedman said that Brad Trevling will be very busy come draft Day and July 1st.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If Bennett was actually any good he would do well regardless of his line-mates. Dude is pacing for 22 points. I don't care if you play with beer leaguers, if you're an alleged 1st line center caliber player you f***ing put up more than 12 points in 44 games and you make those around you better. Bennett does none of this.

I was a huge proponent of Bennett, but I've watched this guy for years now, he doesn't have the hockey IQ to be anything more than a 3rd line spark plug who can have a good game here or there. He still does hit stupid 1 on 1 dekes that always fail, he has 4 assists on the year and is one of the worst players for using his line-mates. His shot is no where near good enough to be a top line player either.

If Bennett was actually a 1st line talent, which he isn't, yes it f***ing is easier to score on the third line.

Kind of agree with a lot of this; last game when he pitchforked a Pred and then looked around about why I’m getting a penalty I have to question his brains. Plus can he stop trying to go between a dmans skates all the time? He shows flashes when he drives to the net, hard corner work and such but not consistently enough. Although I will give some credence to lack of opportunity.

Basko34

Feb 5, 2015
Munich, Germany
I was listening to the Fan 960(just know), they had Elliotte Friedman on and Elliotte Friedman said that Brad Trevling was trying to do something big on trade deadline and he could not pull it off on time. Elliotte Friedman said that another GM told him that there were a lot of big trades that were being planned but they did not go through for one reason or another. And the this GM also told Elliotte Friedman that Brad Trevling was in the thick of it. Elliotte Friedman said that this GM told him that most of these trades will likely happen on the draft or come July 1st.

Elliotte Friedman said that the 2 Defense men that Brad Trevling got were in his back pocket and Brad Trevling was trying for something big but that some big did not happen so Brad Trevling did the deals he had in his back pocket. Elliotte Friedman said that Brad Trevling will be very busy come draft Day and July 1st.

I am wondering if he is pulling the trigger and trade Gaudreau...
Just having a few options on my mind, ie Trade Gaudreau for Sam Reinhart and sign Hall, would be a fun to watch
Hall Monahan Reinhart

Reactions: Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta

I certainly hope so because the group as is will not contend any time soon. We might make the play-offs, but that might just be our ceiling.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I am wondering if he is pulling the trigger and trade Gaudreau...
Just having a few options on my mind, ie Trade Gaudreau for Sam Reinhart and sign Hall, would be a fun to watch
Hall Monahan Reinhart

Why would the Flames trade Gaudreau for Sam Reinhart? That is one of stupidest f***ing things the Flames can do. Trading Gaudreau for Reinhart(a lesser player) and than signing Hall does not bring the Flames any closer to the Stanley Cup. If Gaudreau is traded, than it likely in a package for a upgrade on the Centers we have.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I certainly hope so because the group as is will not contend any time soon. We might make the play-offs, but that might just be our ceiling.

I hope/pray the Flames miss the playoffs, that would be the best thing for this team long term.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Calgary is one of the slowest teams at forward in the NHL for one not build around muscle.

Monahan on your "top line". Lol.

Gaudreau can skate but he's not a burner like other stars.

Lindholm is an average-ish skater. On a contender he's probably the third fastest guy but on this line he's second.

Tkachuk on your second line.

Backlund and Mangiapane are above average in speed, but like Gaudreau are not burners.

Milan Lucic on your third line.

Ryan on your third line. He's seemingly lost a step from the same time last year.

Dube is fast but by putting him on the wing we cut off his ability to generate speed through the neutral zone.

Bennett is fast but by putting him on the wing we cut off his ability to generate speed through the neutral zone.

Jankowski is an average skater, but the center position creates so much responsibility for him that he plays without pace.

Rieder is fast but largely useless because he lacks any real skill.

Czarnik is a burner but we waived him and sent him to the AHL because he got injured five months ago.

Basko34

Feb 5, 2015
Munich, Germany
Why would the Flames trade Gaudreau for Sam Reinhart? That is one of stupidest f***ing things the Flames can do. Trading Gaudreau for Reinhart(a lesser player) and than signing Hall does not bring the Flames any closer to the Stanley Cup. If Gaudreau is traded, than it likely in a package for a upgrade on the Centers we have.

well it should not be straight up, but a package...
However which Centers would target?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
well it should not be straight up, but a package...
However which Centers would target?
Reinhart kind of sucks. It's unlikely that he produces much more than 50 points away from one of the top centers in the game. It's also extremely likely that Reinhart's new contract will be as much or more than Johnny's current cap hit, so I fail to see how it would be possible to sign UFA Taylor Hall.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Calgary is one of the slowest teams at forward in the NHL for one not build around muscle.

Monahan on your "top line". Lol.

Gaudreau can skate but he's not a burner like other stars.

Lindholm is an average-ish skater. On a contender he's probably the third fastest guy but on this line he's second.

Tkachuk on your second line.

Backlund and Mangiapane are above average in speed, but like Gaudreau are not burners.

Milan Lucic on your third line.

Ryan on your third line. He's seemingly lost a step from the same time last year.

Dube is fast but by putting him on the wing we cut off his ability to generate speed through the neutral zone.

Bennett is fast but by putting him on the wing we cut off his ability to generate speed through the neutral zone.

Jankowski is an average skater, but the center position creates so much responsibility for him that he plays without pace.

Rieder is fast but largely useless because he lacks any real skill.

Czarnik is a burner but we waived him and sent him to the AHL because he got injured five months ago.

I think we need a huge overhaul and to bring in 4-5 completely new forwards, this team's pace and transition ability are pathetic.

A big reason we seem to get next to no odd man rushes is because other teams are simply faster and can catch up to basically any of our lines.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Friedman:
6. When NHL.com’s Nick Cotsonika asked Dale Tallon how the Florida GM felt leaving the BB&T Centre after Sunday’s 3–0 loss to Calgary, Tallon replied, “I was pissed,” adding the Panthers haven’t been the same since a 4–0 defeat in Montreal on Feb. 1. (They are 5-9-2 since.) If Tallon is upset, you can only imagine how owner Vinny Viola feels. Viola dropped more than $100 million — from Sergei Bobrovsky to Joel Quenneville to Anton Stralman, etc. — and while attendance figures have increased a bit, it is still under 14,000 per game. The Panthers are in danger of missing the playoffs for the fourth straight season, and the question being asked is, “What are the consequences?” There are many potential changes on and off the ice, but what has other GMs buzzing is a belief the Panthers will strongly consider breaking up their core because the mix hasn’t worked. Was the Vincent Trocheck deal just the tip of the iceberg?

Monahan+Hanifin+Jankowski+Gillies+2021 1st for Barkov

Let's gooooooooooo.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Friedman:

Monahan+Hanifin+Jankowski+Gillies+2021 1st for Barkov

Let's gooooooooooo.

The Flames get ripped here I think, I don't think the difference between Monahan and Barkov is Hanifin and a 1st round pick.

Also does Barkov put us over the top? I don't think so. If we trade Monahan for Barkov, I think we are in the same boat.

Barkov
Backlund
Ryan

Is not a big upgrade over

Monahan
Backlund
Ryan

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
The Flames get ripped here I think, I don't think the difference between Monahan and Barkov is Hanifin and a 1st round pick.

It is, actually. Gaudreau - Barkov - Lindholm would be the deadliest line this side of Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak. And combined with the impeccable Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane line and Dube / Bennett / Ryan we'd have by far the sexiest top 9F group in the NHL. 4th line might take a hit with Janko going the other way (for all the flack he gets he's actually had a strong, if snakebitten season. He hasn't been this solid at C since Jagr was a Flame) but nothing you can't fix with some tweaks.

Losing Hanifin? Big deal, we got Kylington and Valimaki, and could hypothetically re-sign Gustafsson or Forbort too. Left side is set.

Barkov would turn this team into the bonafide perennial contender they're supposed to be anyways.

Last edited:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I don't hate Monahan, I like him a bit and he has some disappointing aspects to his game, but if there was any world where we could upgrade on Monahan with Barkov, even if the ask is Hanifin or a 1st (I feel like both could be a bit much) there's no way I'm not taking that deal. Barkov is a star

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Also does Barkov put us over the top? I don't think so. If we trade Monahan for Barkov, I think we are in the same boat.

Barkov
Backlund
Ryan

Is not a big upgrade over

Monahan
Backlund
Ryan

Barkov is a huge upgrade over Monahan. He can possibly keep up with the McDavid and McKinnnons....But I heard he is also not a big game player so that's a concern

Reactions: Poyd Treechada
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad