Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
What are you talking about? Bennett had an extremely thin frame in his draft year and isn't particularily tall. He was basically ryan nugent hopkins in terms of build. He added 10lbs of muscle in his D+1 year alone while he was out with a shoulder injury.

He dominated junior because he was an elite talent. He had no physical advantage in junior other than his strong edgework.

The amount of nonsense people make up.
Go back and watch the highlights. He's either playing as if he's bigger (was not a small kid) or with a completely different mindset.

So either he's broken mentally, and a bust. Or he needs size to play his style of game. I choose to believe the latter.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Go back and watch the highlights. He's either playing as if he's bigger (was not a small kid) or with a completely different mindset.

So either he's broken mentally, and a bust. Or he needs size to play his style of game. I choose to believe the latter.

He's somewhat damaged mentally. That goes not having the role he was drafted for. Anyone would be, but nothing ice time wouldn't fix.
He's not a bust.
He is able to play his game in the NHL.

In the NHL, there are 229 forwards who have logged 2200+ minutes from 2017-Present. Per minute,

On-ice:
Sam Bennett ranks 51st in shot attempts for
Sam Bennett ranks 64th among those in on-ice expected goals for.
Sam Bennett ranks 59th among those in on-ice scoring chances for.
Sam Bennett ranks 200th among those in on-ice goals for.
Sam Bennett ranks 217th among those in time on ice.

Individually:
Sam Bennett ranks 31st among those in expected goals
Sam Bennett ranks 28th among those in scoring chances
Sam Bennett ranks 51st in unblocked shot attempts
Sam Bennett ranks 129th among those in goals, right there with names like Phil Kessel (127th), Elias Lindholm(133rd), and even Sidney Crosby (117)
Sam Bennett ranks 61st in takeaways

We literally have a guy who makes stuff happen almost every shift and our solution is to plop him as far down the lineup as possible.

The Flames get a LOT of rubber going towards the net when he's on the ice, whether it's him OR his linemates. He finishes at a respectable rate. His linemates don't. And that is why he doesn't get assists.

That's not a guy failing to play his game. It's a guy who's never getting ice time and when he is getting ice time it's with linemates who don't finish the chances he creates.

Of course no one cares and just wants to talk about toe drags. As if top players never fail on toe drags.

Defensively he's strong too but I am focused on offense.

He's the same player who deserved to be drafted 4th overall. Calgary is just a horrible organization.

Last edited:

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
He's somewhat damaged mentally. That goes not having the role he was drafted for. Anyone would be, but nothing ice time wouldn't fix.
He's not a bust.
He is able to play his game in the NHL.

In the NHL, there are 229 forwards who have logged 2200+ minutes from 2017-Present. Per minute,

On-ice:
Sam Bennett ranks 51st in shot attempts for
Sam Bennett ranks 64th among those in on-ice expected goals for.
Sam Bennett ranks 59th among those in on-ice scoring chances for.
Sam Bennett ranks 200th among those in on-ice goals for.
Sam Bennett ranks 217th among those in time on ice.

Individually:
Sam Bennett ranks 31st among those in expected goals
Sam Bennett ranks 28th among those in scoring chances
Sam Bennett ranks 51st in unblocked shot attempts
Sam Bennett ranks 129th among those in goals, right there with names like Phil Kessel (127th), Elias Lindholm(133rd), and even Sidney Crosby (117)
Sam Bennett ranks 61st in takeaways

We literally have a guy who makes stuff happen almost every shift and our solution is to plop him as far down the lineup as possible.

The Flames get a LOT of rubber going towards the net when he's on the ice, whether it's him OR his linemates. He finishes at a respectable rate. His linemates don't. And that is why he doesn't get assists.

That's not a guy failing to play his game. It's a guy who's never getting ice time and when he is getting ice time it's with linemates who don't finish the chances he creates.

Of course no one cares and just wants to talk about toe drags. As if top players never fail on toe drags.

Defensively he's strong too but I am focused on offense.

He's the same player who deserved to be drafted 4th overall. Calgary is just a horrible organization.

At this point the only way you're gonna see Bennett playing at his (supposedly) deserved position is to make a 30 page report about why Bennett is being misused on the Flames and personally deliver it to Treliving and the coaching staff.

I want to see Bennett succeed and be the player we all thought he was gonna be, I really do. Unfortunately the only way that's gonna happen is if he gets traded to somewhere like Ottawa or another team where he can get loads of minutes as a top 6 forward.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
At this point the only way you're gonna see Bennett playing at his (supposedly) deserved position is to make a 30 page report about why Bennett is being misused on the Flames and personally deliver it to Treliving and the coaching staff.

I want to see Bennett succeed and be the player we all thought he was gonna be, I really do. Unfortunately the only way that's gonna happen is if he gets traded to somewhere like Ottawa or another team where he can get loads of minutes as a top 6 forward.

Treliving and Maloney had this exact scenario in front of them with Kyle Turris back in the day. They failed to capitalize on the talent they had back then too. The parallel is uncanny.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Treliving and Maloney had this exact scenario in front of them with Kyle Turris back in the day. They failed to capitalize on the talent they had back then too. The parallel is uncanny.

Brad Trevling and Maloney came from a losing organization and they are carrying it over with them.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Brad Trevling and Maloney came from a losing organization and they are carrying it over with them.

Not defending the two, but those guys got a lot out of a franchise that refused to pay anyone.
They were essentially a 90's non-Leafs/Habs Canadian team playing in the 2000's and 2010's :laugh:

Reactions: InfinityIggy

radioactivenuts

Jan 9, 2020
How about that: sign Grabner for Hamonic.
Grabner would give us speed and a hell of a release and at least he would score more breakaways than johnny.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I am wondering if a package around Vatanen AND Palmieri would be doable for us today...we could use the add if speed and skill they bring with

Would love this. Cost would be astronomical. Cap space also doesnt work

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Trocheck goes to Carolina for a very underwhelming package IMO. Why couldnt CGY pull that off? Did they simply not want him? Could have fits under froliks cap clearance too.

Top six right shot center, wonder if he could play wing. Could have played with Mony and Jony, or with Lindy and Chucky. Man i feel like Tre missed on him. I hope im wrong

Reactions: Basko34

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
11. The move that surprised most was Florida’s trade of Vincent Trocheck. I heard when teams queried the Panthers about it, they asked what was wrong that made him available? Arizona, Calgary and Minnesota were among those who made pitches.

There were a few factors that went into this, but it’s clear that new coach Joel Quenneville and Trocheck didn’t mesh. Chris Johnston reported the Panthers have been ordered to cut payroll, which certainly fits with the move — but Quenneville wanted to send a message while the playoffs were still within reach that changes were coming if the group didn’t compete harder. The prospects (Eetu Luostarinen and Chase Priskie) will play. Lucas Wallmark played 12:39 in Tuesday’s 2-1 win over the Coyotes, Erik Haula 14:30. Haula is an interesting guy. He’s got a chip on his shoulder, believing he deserves more of a role than he gets. (In Minnesota, he was nicknamed “Haula-Famer” because of that.) The Panthers want attitude. He’ll get a shot there.

17. Calgary also checked into Wayne Simmonds. Second time in two years.

Friedman

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary didn't have a couple expiring deals and prospects to swing their way, the way the Canes did.
Looks like Florida is shedding cash again.

Basko34

Feb 5, 2015
Munich, Germany
Calgary didn't have a couple expiring deals and prospects to swing their way, the way the Canes did.
Looks like Florida is shedding cash again.

hearing Florida is shredding cash I dreaming of Barkov to the Flames!!
Quite sure that is not gonna happen, but that would be such an anchor in the middle

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The reality is we didn't even need to commit to being horrible for that long, properly selling off at the deadline woulda done it.
The Sens have 7 picks in the top 60 (9 in the top 90!!) and guys like Brannstrom and Norris in the pipeline and Tkachuk and Chabot leading the new wave of their team

That's how you tear it down.

Meanwhile we were hoping Feaster snagged Bartkowski from Boston when Iggy was traded

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Sad thought of the day: Feaster and company's complete miss on the returns for Iginla and Bouwmeester, both in terms of the players acquired and the draft picks made, are part of the reasoning behind Treliving signing Brouwer and Neal.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Sad thought of the day: Feaster and company's complete miss on the returns for Iginla and Bouwmeester, both in terms of the players acquired and the draft picks made, are part of the reasoning behind Treliving signing Brouwer and Neal.

I don't think so.
Treliving had the option to value cap space, or bring in players who fit better, or with better metrics, than Brouwer or Neal.

Having the green light to spend to the cap doesn't mean that it makes your team better to spend to the cap. He learned the hard way and now we're on the hook for Brouwer+Lucic for 3 years after this one. Hopefully the GM who runs the team in the 2023 offseason can understand that cap space can be utilized more creatively than being thrown at whatever 30 year old is willing to move here.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That dream is gone my man. In 2012/2013 if this team committed to being horrendous for... wait for it... 48 games; one of Barkov or MacKinnon would be Calgary's top line centre.

TBH, I'd look at something even closer. If ownership mandate in 2015 wasn't fricken playoffs with that atrocious roster. We'd either have had a shot at a serious 1C to push Monahan down to 2C OR the fricken 1RW that we have needed all this damn time to round out that top line.

Where we landed in that draft, I don't even fault Treliving for trading for Dougie. The risks on Barzal and Konecny at that spot weren't necessarily worth passing up on an excellent talented RHS dman that we still currently struggle with on our roster along with the fricken RW role. It was seemingly perceived that it was harder to acquire a RHS RD than RW which is true.

But that damn ownership mandate man...

I'm torn as to whether I should be so damn harsh though. 2015 was amazing memories. Ploffs was also awesome.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
The Sens have 7 picks in the top 60 (9 in the top 90!!) and guys like Brannstrom and Norris in the pipeline and Tkachuk and Chabot leading the new wave of their team

That's how you tear it down.

Meanwhile we were hoping Feaster snagged Bartkowski from Boston when Iggy was traded

Don't get me wrong, the future looks bright in Ottawa. But we'll see long term if they're a Pittsburgh/Chicago/LA or a Buffalo/Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad