Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I don't know. Seems like every big trade that we plan on making gets leaked days-weeks in advance.

Dougie Hamilton being shopped was leaked more than a year before he was traded. The framework of his return was reported about a week before it went through, from what I recall.

We heard about Looch for Neal a long time before it happened

We also knew about Kadri for Brodie and that Kadri nixed it before he eventually got moved to the Avs

Hall, Stone, Hamonic etc.

The only move that really came out of the blue was the 1st Hamilton trade.

Hmm... I seem to recall it was leaked only after the trade was dead in the water. Sometimes if whispers of a trade was going down, we'd scratch our head as to how it would make sense at fair value, only to celebrate it makes a ton of sense because we acquired the asset below fair value. Tre's always shopping. He's always there and info is leaked. We just never know if he was legitimately window shopping or ready to pull the trigger.

He definitely holds his cards closer to his chest than someone like Feaster.

It took like a year and snippets of whispers to figure out what actually happened with the Zucker trade and that apparently it was killed by ownership.

Hell, even when the Lucic/Neal rumblings came out, no one was even sure if it was legit or speculation. Treliving did report later on that he sat on it for a while before pulling the trigger.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
So listening to fan960 and they were pondering what to do when Hamonic comes back...I personally think they should bench Forbert and Gustaffson and play kylington and hamonic as the 3rd pair

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not me. The current 3rd pair is doing just fine.
Ward is NOT going to bench Hamonic when he's healthy. Better that he plays on the 3rd line and Gus sits than play on the 2nd and Andersson moves down to the 3rd. Either way, Gus is the odd man out. Can Gus play LD on the 3rd line?

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Ward is NOT going to bench Hamonic when he's healthy. Better that he plays on the 3rd line and Gus sits than play on the 2nd and Andersson moves down to the 3rd. Either way, Gus is the odd man out. Can Gus play LD on the 3rd line?
Yes. He plays both sides, and much like Brodie, is a natural LD who just happened to get more and more comfortable and use as an RD.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Is that Tocchet's brother sitting behind Rick? Sure looks like Rick

Reactions: Fig

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Remember the summer when the Flames hard balled Mangiapane over a couple hundred thousand? Not saying it's the biggest deal, but he's going to probably hit 20+ goals and has been playing in the top 6 a lot. And I highly doubt he's going to want to leave anything on the table now lol. And rightly so, he shouldn't give us any kind of a discount

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Remember the summer when the Flames hard balled Mangiapane over a couple hundred thousand? Not saying it's the biggest deal, but he's going to probably hit 20+ goals and has been playing in the top 6 a lot. And I highly doubt he's going to want to leave anything on the table now lol. And rightly so, he shouldn't give us any kind of a discount

I said the exact same thing when it happened. If ever there was a player to try and Jarnkrok I think Mangiapane was the guy.

Speculation: - Armchair GM Thread III: Post Deadline, Now with more armchairing

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
While we like Mangiapane and wanted him for term, we also can't look at it purely from the perspective of "why didn't we?" If we are able to sit here and think about how Mangiapane was poised for a breakout, is there any reason to assume that his agent and Mangiapane himself didn't realize the same thing and bet on himself here? Perhaps Treliving tried a Jarnkrok type deal but couldn't fit it under the cap for this year, or Mangiapane denied it because he didn't want stability, he knew he could play in the league and would get paid after a breakout season.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I wish he would bench hanifin though, he's been pretty dogshit this season.

I think we will see
Gio-Brodie
Forbort-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I wish he would bench hanifin though, he's been pretty dogshit this season.

I think we will see
Gio-Brodie
Forbort-Andersson
Hanifin-Hamonic
Hanifin and Hamonic played dogshit together, but since Hanifin and Andersson have started playing together he has been noticeably better. Hopefully those aren't the pairings we see. Hanifin Hamonic don't work together, and playing Forbort over Gustafsson seems like something we shouldn't and wouldn't do.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hanifin looks like he's got 0 confidence in himself at the moment. Double-clutches on every shot, seldom joins the rush, and makes some pretty brainless passes from his own zone. Just a completely different player from his first stint with Andersson earlier this season where he looked dominant.

Basko34

Feb 5, 2015
Munich, Germany
After sleeping on the Monahan+Hanifin+1st+the trash for Barkov trade, I think I would do it.

Gaudreau-Barkov-?
Tkachuk-Lindholm?
?-Backlund-?

Build around this core, get Peter Laviolette or Gerard as a coach, get a RW, I think Mangiapane can grab one spot and you have to fill out the rest of the team.

My main concern is with our GM, I don't think has any idea how to build a winning team.

Gaudreau Barkov ??? Hall?
Tkachuk Lindholm Mangiapane
Pelletier (??) Backlund Dubé
Lucic Ryan Bennett

Maybe one of those would help (no order)
Palmieri
Kapanen
Gallagher
Labanc

Depth
Anderson (CMB)
Johnson (TB)

Barkov would be amazing to have.
If not him maybe Domi is available and would help now and adds some speed.
Not sure if we are looking for a project like Kotkaniemi or so. Kid has a rough year, but talent and size is certainly there.
Cirelli maybe? Guess TB don’t want to let him go, which makes sense.

no idea how to improve atm.
growth from within is obviously key

Reactions: viper0220

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Lucic Ryan Bennett

Palmieri
Kapanen
Gallagher
Labanc

Depth
Anderson (CMB)
Johnson (TB)

Not sure if we are looking for a project like Kotkaniemi or so. Kid has a rough year, but talent and size is certainly there.

I think the future of this core will be decided, how they do in the playoffs. If they wet the bed, than major changes are coming.

Reactions: Rockmorton

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Lucic Ryan Bennett

Palmieri
Kapanen
Gallagher
Labanc

Depth
Anderson (CMB)
Johnson (TB)

If Barkov is available(big if), than I think you have to go all in. I think changes are coming to core in the summer.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah I’d do almost anything for Barkov. Monahan + Hanifin + 1st is an easy yes from me. Then we sign Hall, game over and cheat mode is on.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Yeah I’d do almost anything for Barkov. Monahan + Hanifin + 1st is an easy yes from me. Then we sign Hall, game over and cheat mode is on.

I have no issues with trading for Barkov but everything here has been a massive over payment. Barkov has the same issues dogging him about his ability able to carry a team. That is why he might be available.

To me it is a lateral move.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I have no issues with trading for Barkov but everything here has been a massive over payment. Barkov has the same issues dogging him about his ability able to carry a team. That is why he might be available.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it a lateral move, but Barkov is definitely a bit overrated relative to what he would bring to the team. Who knows. Maybe with Gaudreau being better offensively and Barkov not being relied upon to be "the guy" he'd do better, but a 1st line C, a 1st, and a 2nd pairing defenseman with top pairing potential seems like a lot for Barkov.

However, Barkov for Monahan is far from a lateral move, it improves the Flames by quite a bit and Monahan is not as good as Barkov, but the difference is definitely not Hanifin + 1st

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I think the elite defensive play, superior playmaking ability and being able to make his line mates better are upgrades for sure. Point totals across, I can see how it appears lateral, but Barkov would give us something we haven’t had since the 80’s.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think the elite defensive play, superior playmaking ability and being able to make his line mates better are upgrades for sure. Point totals across, I can see how it appears lateral, but Barkov would give us something we haven’t had since the 80’s.

Whoever thinks barkov is lateral to Monahan is drunk with flames Kool aid. He may have his problems but his talent is several layers above Monahan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad