Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Just a couple years ago some of you were saying you wouldn't trade Monahan for MacKinnon.
Lots can change in a short span.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Just a couple years ago some of you were saying you wouldn't trade Monahan for MacKinnon.
Lots can change in a short span.

These people look at the regular season and see nothing in the playoffs. Sam Bennett, Brodie, and Monahan have been the only somewhat consistent performers in the playoffs. These people prioritize regular season glory and not a cup.

Gaudreau and Backlund have yet to perform against a contender yet their support never flounders. Johnny was nothing more than a sniveling whiny brat last year laying on the ice looking for calls until game 5. Backs got murdered by the Avs and Gio looked a step behind.

The best d-man last year was Valimaki in the 2 games he played.

The only player that delivered a stellar performance last year was Mike Smith.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
These people look at the regular season and see nothing in the playoffs. Sam Bennett, Brodie, and Monahan have been the only somewhat consistent performers in the playoffs. These people prioritize regular season glory and not a cup.

Gaudreau and Backlund have yet to perform against a contender yet their support never flounders. Johnny was nothing more than a sniveling whiny brat last year laying on the ice looking for calls until game 5. Backs got murdered by the Avs and Gio looked a step behind.

Monahan was not good in the playoffs last year, his 1 goal was a lucky golf swing
Gaudreau was easily our best player in the 2015 2nd round against the Ducks, who then went to game 7 of the conference finals
Smith was good in games 1 & 2 but was simply average to below average in games 3, 4 and 5

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

f***ing hell dude. Monahan has been no better in the playoffs than Gaudreau full stop. He has 1 more point in the exact same amount of games played, and his only "good" playoffs came against Anaheim where he scored 4 tap ins as the benefactor of a hot powerplay.

All the shit about Gaudreau in the middle is pathetic, just say you don't like the guy. You never have, you've been trying to trade him for years lol. Unfortunately for you even with his flaws he's a far better player than Monahan ever was or ever will be. 4 game sample sizes in the playoffs don't mean anything when Sean Monahan is pacing for 56 points as the worst player on his line and a defensive liability playing center on a borderline playoff team.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I am confused how one think Monahan is better than gaudreau from watching flames games...very confused

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Monahan was not good in the playoffs last year, his 1 goal was a lucky golf swing
Sean wasn't diving and laying on the ice looking for calls on almost every shift.
Gaudreau was easily our best player in the 2015 2nd round against the Ducks, who then went to game 7 of the conference finals
I will argue Sam was Calgary's best player in the Anaheim series in 2015. Johnny and Sean got their asses beat by either the Kesler or Getzlaf lines but it was their first playoff series so i was critiquing neither.

In 2017 Johnny was a ghost while Steeger and Sean competed every game. If not for a horrid showing by Elliott in goal, Sam, Sean and Kris would have likely carried Calgary to the second round. Brodie was by far the best d-man.
Smith was good in games 1 & 2 but was simply average to below average in games 3, 4 and 5
In games 3 & 4 Smith was the only reason the Av'd didn't score 10 goals a game. 56 and 52 shots ... How he kept the Flames in game 4 until overtime was amazing....

All the shit about Gaudreau in the middle is pathetic, just say you don't like the guy. You never have, you've been trying to trade him for years lol.

In 2 straight series Johnny has done nothing but complain to the refs about playoff hockey and how it is called. Yeah I don't like how he plays in the playoffs... Unlike others here I am not here every day saying how crappy he is. Johnny has no compete in tough tight checking games....That is playoff hockey.

As I said too many people here are too focused on regular season individual point totals than what it will take to win a cup. Clearly both of you fall in that category.

Calgary's best players in the playoffs this year will be Sean Monahan, Sam Bennett, TJ Brodie, Chucky, and Elias Lindholm... Wait for it

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Yes great playoff warrior Sean Monahan is what we need to win a cup. I can't believe that I thought he was an issue when other teams double team Gaudreau down the stretch because the only thing he does well is shoot from the low slot.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Not that Monahan doesn't deserve some criticism lately, but you don't win many playoff games by floating around the red line and turning away from the corners either. Penalties are scarce in the post season, there's very much a reason why small, soft players tend to falter in the playoffs.
I think it's also important to mention that Lindy should be taking some flack as well. He's been next to invisible, at least for large portions of the games lately. Personally, if we make the playoffs I'll be watching for Tkachuk and Lindy to step up. These guys are built for the post season and after an underwhelming first crack at it, I expect huge improvements this year.

Reactions: SKRusty

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
there's very much a reason why small, soft players tend to falter in the playoffs.

For something to have a reason, it would have to be verifiable. Otherwise it's just confirmation bias.

These guys are built for the post season and after an underwhelming first crack at it

Likewise, Tkachuk's had two cracks at the playoffs and been invisible in either. But he doesn't fit your narrative of being a "small, soft player" and you give him more rope in assessment.

In 2 straight series Johnny has done nothing but complain to the refs about playoff hockey and how it is called.

Poor officiating isn't unique to playoff hockey. This is another myth.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hopefully when we resume hockey, somehow Monahan is tricked into thinking it's October again.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
You people need to take a break from the constant Monahan bashing. It's f***ing ridiculous and half this sub forum is just bitching about Monahan. We get it, you all think he is a piece of shit in every aspect and want him traded for nothing. Get a f***ing new topic. It's tiring going through a thread and 27/30 posts on the page is just shitting on Monahan.

Maybe 4th overall Bennett who is complete actual dog shit should take some heat for being a complete and utter bust. Or maybe we can just discuss hockey without constantly talking shit about our own team.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
If we end up with a resumed season through June-July man I think it’s anyone’s Cup. Goaltenders will be way off, nagging injuries will heal, roster fluidity will be interrupted. I think the lay-off will hurt the Tampa’s, Boston’s, St. Louis’s of the world more and help a team like ours out more.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Okay I'll start. I think Bennett's hands are absolutely terrible and the main reason for him not being able to put up points. Even when he was scoring his highlight real goals you can see how choppy it is, watch his 2nd and 4th goal against Florida and his movements are so jerky and out of control.

I have a group of players on the Flames that I think are better off being traded to make the Calgary Flames a better hockey team. I don't hate them I just don't think they are as good as the value they hold around the league.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If we end up with a resumed season through June-July man I think it’s anyone’s Cup. Goaltenders will be way off, nagging injuries will heal, roster fluidity will be interrupted. I think the lay-off will hurt the Tampa’s, Boston’s, St. Louis’s of the world more and help a team like ours out more.

The extended break could do wonders for Rittich. He starts off the season hot and cools down as it goes on, hopefully this break resets his body and mind and he comes out being a brick wall again when the season starts back up (hopefully).

Good for players overall, instead of everyone going into the playoffs with nagging injuries they have a chance to heal up a little (probably for at least a month) go into the 15 game pre playoff stretch run and playoffs all healthy raring to go.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
@Foo Fighter , Taylor Hall is 28 now and turns 29 in November. A long term contract would definitely be a gamble. The most I would want to pay for Hall would be $9M AAV. Its the term that makes me nervous. Not sure what I would be comfortable with other than 2-3 years and I know he wouldn't agree t0 that.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Wonder how something like this delay might impact Valimaki. Does he end up being able to play after all if playoffs go until July? Or even for the start of playoffs? Or does this delay his recovery more since he isn't able to keep rehabbing consistently? Time will tell but something like this could impact his future (also his expansion eligibility if he does play.)

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Wonder how something like this delay might impact Valimaki. Does he end up being able to play after all if playoffs go until July? Or even for the start of playoffs? Or does this delay his recovery more since he isn't able to keep rehabbing consistently? Time will tell but something like this could impact his future (also his expansion eligibility if he does play.)
The NHL is allowing injured players to get treatment, use the gym facilities and may even have access to ice time. Bob McKenzie or Dreger reported on this when the season was suspended.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The NHL is allowing injured players to get treatment, use the gym facilities and may even have access to ice time. Bob McKenzie or Dreger reported on this when the season was suspended.
So this might end up helping in Valimaki's rehab since by the time he recovers there might still be hockey happening (big if), though I doubt he would he play anyways it's an interesting thought.

Reactions: Foo Fighter

Khrox

May 31, 2018
So this might end up helping in Valimaki's rehab since by the time he recovers there might still be hockey happening (big if), though I doubt he would he play anyways it's an interesting thought.
It may help a little since he *should* be able to do full practices with the team IF hockey happens. But I really hope he doesn't actually play since that would definitely cause a big issue with the expansion draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad