Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2018/19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think it’s almost a guarantee Smith is extended for a year or two. Even if Gillies/Rittich surpass him, it’s nice to have a veteran backup.

Reactions: SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I think it’s almost a guarantee Smith is extended for a year or two. Even if Gillies/Rittich surpass him, it’s nice to have a veteran backup.

Smith is a great competitor and the young goalies in the system can learn much from him. Even more importantly though it is what he brings to the dressing room. Much has been said of his presence but like NHLer his hunger for a cup can not be under estimated.

I would not be surprised to see the Flames chose an heir apparent this year to create a tandem. Slowly over the next couple seasons it is likely Smith will be used less as the young guy takes the reigns.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Potentially. Not sure Rinne, Bobrovsky, Fleury don't re-up with their current teams. Varlamov who knows, depends on how this year goes.
If Saros looks good this upcoming season, I think Rinne's time is up in Nashville. He's been pretty unimpressive for them in the playoffs at a lot of crucial moments.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Potentially. Not sure Rinne, Bobrovsky, Fleury don't re-up with their current teams. Varlamov who knows, depends on how this year goes.

Bobrovsky would be the dream, but I don’t think we can commit the amount of money he’d be asking to the goaltender position, doesn’t fit our salary structure

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Varlamov is a stud when he’s healthy. I’ve always thought he’s the kinda guy that has the skill to drag a team to a title. But yeah his question is always health.

Bobrovsky would be amazing but I don’t think we have the cap space

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd definitely go for one of those goalies if we had the space. We'd probably be better off with Smith at a cheap 2 year deal at 3-3.5m (hopefully). Tkachuk needs to get re-signed. I know Brouwer will be off the books soon, but we have yet to sign Hanifin and Lindholm to deals.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Fleury and Varly I sorta understand, but Rinne is only half a year younger than Smith, isn't he?

I could get behind a Smith/Rinne tandem for a cup run if it gets to that point. Add Iggy out of retirement to stack the age and see if it's the oldest average aged team to win the cup in the last decade. :naughty:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Fleury and Varly I sorta understand, but Rinne is only half a year younger than Smith, isn't he?

I could get behind a Smith/Rinne tandem for a cup run if it gets to that point. Add Iggy out of retirement to stack the age and see if it's the oldest average aged team to win the cup in the last decade. :naughty:
Might as well tell Conroy and Gelinas to suit up too

Reactions: Fig

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Wouldn’t really make sense to me, not much of a difference between him and Rittich in a backup role, neither is really capable of starting

He was pretty highly touted a while ago wasn’t he?

You can’t give up on goalies too soon. Bad early results are the norm for goalies. His AHL numbers are stellar

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Wouldn’t really make sense to me, not much of a difference between him and Rittich in a backup role, neither is really capable of starting

Forsberg and Rittich likely have roughly the same ceiling, but Forsberg already has a solid season under his belt and is a year closer to reaching his potential. I also think he's a much safer bet than Rittich, who is a wild card in a lot of ways. I like the move (if it's actually happening).

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Quickly looking at Chicago board, they seemed to be sure that Forsberg is gone after the Ward signing

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He was pretty highly touted a while ago wasn’t he?

You can’t give up on goalies too soon. Bad early results are the norm for goalies. His AHL numbers are stellar

He could be a good little add for us.
The guy is the same age as Gillies and Rittich; has been an absolute monster in the AHL (compared to the other two), and had good NHL success last year.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He could be a good little add for us.
The guy is the same age as Gillies and Rittich; has been an absolute monster in the AHL (compared to the other two), and had good NHL success last year.

Eh Hawks criticized him a lot. But at the same time he posted only below average Sv% on a dreadful defensive team and he's a much better puck handler and has much better positioning and rebound control (Both in angles, and freezing the puck timely) than Crawford does.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Forsberg could learn a lot from Smith on the puck handling side, and could be more of a late bloomer candidate

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Forsberg could learn a lot from Smith on the puck handling side, and could be more of a late bloomer candidate

I'd rather us have Gillies or Rittich in the backup position. We've already made big changes on the forward and defense side, don't think it'd be wise to do the same with the goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese