Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2018/19 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
What's it gonna take to get big bad Hanifin from you guys?

If we had a hole down the middle I’d consider something around middelstadt+ but there’s no one to fill the 2nd pair LD spot right now assuming Brodie stays on the right side. Doesn’t make much sense. What you could offer and our needs don’t really match up

Also you guys aren’t looking to trade away young players

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Fleury just signed for 7+ average salary per year . . . All the players making more than our best player in Gaudreau. I know I know, I'm sick of the drama 2 years later, and fair market value for last summer compared to his class etc. . . . Still, I don't know. There's a heckuva lot of money being splashed about for lesser players 1 year later. Even someone like Tavares (who I think is quite overrated), and with a few years more under his belt, is he really work 4-5 mil more per year? Not IMO. Anywho. That's my stinky pants post of the day.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Fleury just signed for 7+ average salary per year . . . All the players making more than our best player in Gaudreau. I know I know, I'm sick of the drama 2 years later, and fair market value for last summer compared to his class etc. . . . Still, I don't know. There's a heckuva lot of money being splashed about for lesser players 1 year later. Even someone like Tavares (who I think is quite overrated), and with a few years more under his belt, is he really work 4-5 mil more per year? Not IMO. Anywho. That's my stinky pants post of the day.
The thing to keep in mind there though, is that both of those guys were UFA versus Gaudreau being RFA. Gaudreau will also make silly money on his next deal.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

It's awesome. Really a credit to Treliving that he managed to lock up the core without signing any ludicrous deals. That's why we were able to sign Neal even after the Brouwer mistake.

Reactions: Sk8M8

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Gaudreau makes more than Hart winner Taylor Hall, Hart runner up Nathan MacKinnon, borderline Selke finalist Sasha Barkov, and any number of other forwards on their 2nd contracts. His contract was good value for the team, but it was also fair for Gaudreau.

Reactions: Cyrano

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I know it's a long ways away but, at the end of the 20-21 season I would look to move Johnny before his motified-NTC kicks in and we can get full value. Definitely could see him walking the following year to go back to the States and closer to home. That will be a pivotal move for the future of our franchise.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What's it gonna take to get big bad Hanifin from you guys?
Unless you want to give up Dahlin (which I know is outrageous and stupid for me to ask), Buffalo and Calgary used to be ideal trading partners until we both made a trade with separate teams.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We should go after Washington’s Samsonov Goalie prospect.

Mangiapane + Gillies + Kylington

Samsonov + 2nd

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
We should go after Washington’s Samsonov Goalie prospect.

Mangiapane + Gillies + Kylington

Samsonov + 2nd

First no goalie prospect is worth what you offered. Second why would we mortgage the future at this point? If the goal tending flounders this year and Gillies and Rittich both fail to perform then there is Bobrovski, Rinne, Talbot and others that are available possibly next summer.

At this point any mucking with the roster is counter productive until you see how the players on the team gel. On paper Calgary became one of the deepest line-ups in the NHL and there are still a few players who could make a strong push to be on the roster who were in the AHL or juniors last year.

Short of buying out Brouwer there is little that should be done.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
First no goalie prospect is worth what you offered. Second why would we mortgage the future at this point? If the goal tending flounders this year and Gillies and Rittich both fail to perform then there is Bobrovski, Rinne, Talbot and others that are available possibly next summer.

At this point any mucking with the roster is counter productive until you see how the players on the team gel. On paper Calgary became one of the deepest line-ups in the NHL and there are still a few players who could make a strong push to be on the roster who were in the AHL or juniors last year.

Short of buying out Brouwer there is little that should be done.

I disagree. Goaltending is the most important position and by all accounts this kid is going to be a legit #1 for a long time.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I would make that trade for Samsonov all day. People say he's better than vasilevsky, and he certainly performs at an unbelievable standard. I think Gillies could still turn it on but if it is just costing us him and Mangiapane and Kylington (effectively spare parts to us right now) you take it and run. Also I hate the term mortgaging the future when said players are actually older than some of our current roster core.

Samsonov would be the heir apparent to our #1 goalie spot, and an excellent way to bring him into the league would be as the 1B to a healthy mike smith playing 40-45 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->