Speculation: Armchair GM / Speculation / Rumours Thread XXIV - Beware of Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
There's only two moves that I absolutely want to happen by the end of next summer.

Brouwer lost to expansion

Oduya signed to a 2 year deal

Use the remaining cap space however you like but I feel like these two moves are no-brainers right now

If the bolded alone happens, I think the Flames will have had a pretty encouraging offseason.

I'm indifferent on Oduya. I think he makes our top 4 better, but I'd rather finally go with some prospects in those 4-6 spots while the three vets hold down the 1-3 spots. That's how successful teams operate.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
What's funny is most of those idiots were TSN itself... funny how they'd even conduct that interview.

Comes in like Negan. "Don't you guys start spreading those rumors again. I will shut that **** down! No exceptions!"
raw

I've lost so much respect for TSN, especially after this. One guy I do like a lot is Chris Johnson of Sportsnet. He's really good at his job and really values a good reputation.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
If the bolded alone happens, I think the Flames will have had a pretty encouraging offseason.

I'm indifferent on Oduya. I think he makes our top 4 better, but I'd rather finally go with some prospects in those 4-6 spots while the three vets hold down the 1-3 spots. That's how successful teams operate.

Oduya would be a stop-gap and there for stability more than anything. I can't see 3 of the kids surpassing him by the end of 2018. He'd plug a big hole.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Lol, I love Burkie and that rant today was great. But does anyone else think his speaking mannerisms are a little trumpesque?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
The thought totally crossed my mind :laugh:

What I think it is, is just the hair though.

Could be the hair!

AS I really didn't mean it as an insult, he just seems to phrase things and double touch on points with half sentences sometimes. It's like he starts saying a sentence before he's fully decided how he's going to deliver it :laugh:
Just an observation! Great president of hockey ops though :handclap:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
LeBrun: A GM told me Flames have been exploring other trade options
LeBrun’s next comment perked up curious ears.

“I talked to a GM yesterday who said, ‘Everyone is so focused on Dougie – believe me, Brad Treliving has talked (about) other players with other teams here in the last few weeks.’

“So we’re all sort of pent up and hooked up one guy when the reality is when the Flames were a bit of a dumpster fire three weeks ago, I think that there were all kinds of explorations happening. At the end of the day, it’s not about one player. And now, in the meantime, the Flames have sort of turned the corner here and are playing a much steadier brand of game, which has probably quieted things down.”

File that little nugget of information away in the back of your mind.

More cold water on Dougie
“Listen, you could understand the frustration for Brian Burke and Brad Treliving, and frankly, probably Dougie Hamilton more than anyone about the ongoing rumors,” said LeBrun. “Especially when – I mean, listen. I’m not saying he’s never going to be dealt, because clearly teams have called and you can never say no if the offer is too good at some point.

“But I can tell you this: I haven’t had a single team – and believe me, there would be at least one team that would say to me, ‘You know they’re trying to trade him hard, eh?’ That’s never happened once. I’ve not had a single team say to me, ‘They’re really trying to trade Dougie Hamilton.’ Not one team has told me that.

“Now, because other teams have phoned – and mostly last summer – that’s going to get out. But there is a clear distinction between shopping a player and doing your job and listening to trade offers.”

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That is why LeBrun is the best in the business. IMO he is better than McKenzie or Friedman.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Unless we go back into a tailspin again, I think we are more likely to hold steady at this point. The team is back on the tracks, albeit not entirely smoothly yet, and we are still missing our best forward.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Agreed that re-signing Backlund should be one of Treliving's top priorities this summer. Trading him or losing him to free agency the following year would set the team back more than most people realize.

If Backlund stays at or below the .5 point per game mark, I'll revise my earlier projection from 5M per to 4.5M, give or take .25M.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Agreed that re-signing Backlund should be one of Treliving's top priorities this summer. Trading him or losing him to free agency the following year would set the team back more than most people realize.

If Backlund stays at or below the .5 point per game mark, I'll revise my earlier projection from 5M per to 4.5M, give or take .25M.

I'm open to re-signing him, as long as it's reasonable. I'd offer him around 4-4.5m per year.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I've lost so much respect for TSN, especially after this. One guy I do like a lot is Chris Johnson of Sportsnet. He's really good at his job and really values a good reputation.

TBH I prefer Sportsnet, TSN is a bunch of blowhards, excluding a few. TMZ of the hockey world.

I'll go hide now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
4M seems too low after what Frolik and Brouwer got as UFA's.

Can see Backlund's camp using Soderberg as a comparable; signed at 29 years of age for 5 years at 4.75M per after putting up 44 points (13G, 31A) in 82 games with the Bruins.

Could see the Flames however point to Kadri who while not as good defensively, is younger with the better offensive numbers and signed for 6 years at 4.5M.

So, five years at roughly 4.5M seems fair for both sides.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
4M seems too low after what Frolik and Brouwer got as UFA's.

Can see Backlund's camp using Soderberg as a comparable; signed at 29 years of age for 5 years at 4.75M per after putting up 44 points (13G, 31A) in 82 games with the Bruins.

Could see the Flames however point to Kadri who while not as good defensively, is younger with the better offensive numbers and signed for 6 years at 4.5M.

So, five years at roughly 4.5M seems fair for both sides.

Bang on assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad