Speculation: Armchair GM / Speculation / Rumours Thread XXIV - Beware of Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There's only two moves that I absolutely want to happen by the end of next summer.

Brouwer lost to expansion

Oduya signed to a 2 year deal

Use the remaining cap space however you like but I feel like these two moves are no-brainers right now

Hopefully. We could have quite a bit of space I just hope we don't make any other boneheaded FA signings.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
There is like 8 threads at the Trade forum with the basic idea of JVR for a young defenseman :laugh:

Hopefully Toronto fans forget Hamilton soon and start bothering other teams' fans.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The idea of moving Hamilton for JVR 1 for 1 makes no sense. That makes us a much worse team as JVR will not fill more holes than moving Dougie would leave. I really just think this is the media stirring things up. I've really been souring on Bobby Mack ever since the summer, his reporting on Gaudreau was awful.

It is really frustrating that outside of our board there is picture painted of Dougie that is not accurate. It's like, no he hasn't been bad, no he's not a cancer, no we aren't trying to move him for pennies on the dollar. It's more like, yes Boston made a huge mistake, yes he's been great, and yes he's a top pairing dman.

Also if we've learned anything, it's that Trelivings dealings are usually quite private.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The idea of moving Hamilton for JVR 1 for 1 makes no sense. That makes us a much worse team as JVR will not fill more holes than moving Dougie would leave. I really just think this is the media stirring things up. I've really been souring on Bobby Mack ever since the summer, his reporting on Gaudreau was awful.

It is really frustrating that outside of our board there is picture painted of Dougie that is not accurate. It's like, no he hasn't been bad, no he's not a cancer, no we aren't trying to move him for pennies on the dollar. It's more like, yes Boston made a huge mistake, yes he's been great, and yes he's a top pairing dman.

Also if we've learned anything, it's that Trelivings dealings are usually quite private.
I think it's the way people are interpreting it. I took the JVR part as a separate thought that the Leafs will look to move JVR before next years deadline.

But I too have soured on McKenzie too, but it started after Sportsnet won the TV deal and he'd always tweet about rumors from SN guys trying to discredit them rather than just doing what he's always done. The leaked league emails don't help his credibility either IMO.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Weisbrod might want Wotherspoon or Poirier or someone like that thrown in too, but I'd still bite on that. :sarcasm:

Spoon, Poirier and a conditional 2nd (if they lose Spoon or Poirier to refusing to re-sign) for Boeser? :)

Prob not going to happen though. lol.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I believe the narrative now is that the Bruins robbed the Flames or something.

Bizarre how badly Hamilton is underrated.

I'd say the consensus is now that both teams lost the trade, just because the Bruins made a mess of their picks

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Consensus among who?
There's no way we lost that trade, apart from the start of last season Dougie's been great for us.

Consensus among HFBoards users, i.e. idiots

I'd like to believe everyone will start eating crow once we're a playoff team and Dougie shows what he's got, but what's more likely is that the main board will probably claim that they always thought he was good.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Consensus among who?
There's no way we lost that trade, apart from the start of last season Dougie's been great for us.

I don't think we lost that trade, but the general publuc doesnt think anyone won it clearly, as things stand

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Also, Oduya is washed up and slow. He doesn't really offer much asides from playing on a really good team a few years ago.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Stuff like this is why it's nice to have Burke in the fold

“Well, no,†said Burke. “Let’s step back. This is one where it’s very frustrating when you have to deal with leaks. And as soon as one of the teams that’s in the mix in the leaks is the Toronto Maple Leafs, now it’s an army of leakers. An army of people who have no goddamn idea what they’re talking about, who’ll happily go on and say, ‘The Toronto Maple Leafs are doing this and they’re in on that.’

“This is one where we think we can trace the leak. We got a call. Our GM got a call. Brad Treliving is the GM. Tre got a call from a team who shall remain nameless, at least for now. If this goes on much further, I’m probably not going to remain nameless. They said, ‘Would you move Dougie Hamilton.’ And Tre said no.

“We expended a tremendous amount of assets to get this player. We’re really happy with him. He’s a quality guy. He’s 6-foot-5, he weighs 237 pounds, he’s a right shot, he skates like a deer, and he’s a good hockey player.â€

Then, in his most sarcastic Burkian tone, said: “Yeah. Let’s move him. Let’s get rid of him. It’s not hard to get guys like that. â€
“So we told this team – and by the way, the offer they made was insulting. So we told the team, ‘No, we’re not moving him and next time you have an idea that stupid, just save the quarter. Don’t go to the payphone.’

“That team started telling teams, ‘Yeah, we made an offer on Hamilton.’

“Now, it’s a rumor. It’s got legs, right. Someone’s like, ‘Well, they must be moving him.’

“We haven’t offered him to anyone. We don’t intend to move him.

“Now, you say ‘If you got the right offer.’ Okay, if someone offers us 20 first round picks are we making that deal? Probably. Wayne Gretzky got traded. But the difference between listening and listening attentively and shopping – those are diferent things.

“So would you listen? Yes. It’s your job to listen. Is he a guy that we intent to move? Not a chance. Is he a guy that we think will move? Not a chance.â€

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He skates like a deer?

EsBUQqE.gif

Other than that, good response from old Burkey.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
leaf fans didn't make the rumor up nor do we really want him.

Hamilton to Toronto threads by Leafs fans: 39874235684765483658793265487236493893278540927980479327493274

Hamilton to Toronto threads by Flames fans: 1

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Me too, I love how he single handedly shut up all the idiots with this talk. I've been saying this for a while, why the hell would we trade Dougie?

What's funny is most of those idiots were TSN itself... funny how they'd even conduct that interview.

Comes in like Negan. "Don't you guys start spreading those rumors again. I will shut that **** down! No exceptions!"
raw

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
What's funny is most of those idiots were TSN itself... funny how they'd even conduct that interview.

Comes in like Negan. "Don't you guys start spreading those rumors again. I will shut that **** down! No exceptions!"
raw

Someone PLEASE edit Burkes face on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad