Speculation: Armchair GM/Rumors Thread v.18.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
His 46% in the faceoff dot begs to differ.

And the Horcoff contract was widely regarded as terrible, and the serviceable vet was on the team that picked first overall 3 times.

Horcoff was still better than Stajan though lol

moon*

You have to take into consideration who's actually movable. The guys you listed aren't even useful NHLers and won't be moved. Stajan is a tier above those guys, he's useful but way overpayed so in essence, he's the most replaceable and moveable player with the biggest cap hit.

I agree with that and am totally fine with moving Stajan for a usable piece. If someone offers a 3rd I will take him to the airport myself. What I object to is dumping Stajan for nothing, that is ridiculous in my view.

Our prospect pools biggest strength, up front, is in the bottom 6. We have to start putting them to use, in order to reallocate funds to the top 6

I used to agree but now I wonder if we are strong with bottom 6 guys or if the guys just aren't great so we hope they will end up as bottom six guys because top 6 is out.

Arnold, Agostino, Klimchuk, Carroll, Hathaway, BVB etc. are guys that seem to be more likely to be AHLers than quality NHLers.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I agree with that and am totally fine with moving Stajan for a usable piece. If someone offers a 3rd I will take him to the airport myself. What I object to is dumping Stajan for nothing, that is ridiculous in my view.

I used to agree but now I wonder if we are strong with bottom 6 guys or if the guys just aren't great so we hope they will end up as bottom six guys because top 6 is out.

Arnold, Agostino, Klimchuk, Carroll, Hathaway, BVB etc. are guys that seem to be more likely to be AHLers than quality NHLers.

Oh no, I'm not saying dump him for nothing, but I'd take a flyer on Bernier for him. The kid still has some potential and there's not a lot of options out there.

As far as the prospect pool is concerned, I think it's fine. We just expect too much from our bottom 6 because of all the holes in the top 6. I think Poirier and Klimchuk will be high quality 3rd liners and the rest should allow us to have a cost effective, revolving door of great 4th liners, for years to come. We just need a structure and to eliminate these bad contracts first.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
when does one turn into a veteran / leader ... Backlund has put in his dues .... When will Monahan become a verteran, he is already wearing an A?

Honest question, when can we start to move these 'character veteran guys' like Stajan and Engelland?

moon*

when does one turn into a veteran / leader ... Backlund has put in his dues .... When will Monahan become a verteran, he is already wearing an A?

Honest question, when can we start to move these 'character veteran guys' like Stajan and Engelland?

I don't want to keep Stajan and Engelland because they are quality veteran guys I want to keep them because they help the team with their play on the ice. I prefer young guys to play with steady vets like Engelland and Stajan because they do the little things right and allow the young guys to focus on their own game.

I find the off-ice stuff gets a little blown out of proportion. Obviously you don't want to go Edmonton style and have none but as you mention guys like Monahan, Backlund (yuck), Bouma, Brodie should be able to take over a lot of that with Gio and Frolik already in place.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Backs is a veteran. I think it depends on development and the individual. Monahan, for instance, I think it would be hard to argue that he isn't a leader now, next year will be his 4th full year and I wouldn't worry about his character at all. Basically, we're set up to cycle them out as there contracts expire, with a couple exceptions.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
We need to keep guys like Stajan around so guys like Gaudreau and Monahan know how important the little things are, like showing up to practice on time.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
We need to keep guys like Stajan around so guys like Gaudreau and Monahan know how important the little things are, like showing up to practice on time.

Stajan could practice everyday and he still wouldn't be good enough to carry Gaudreau's jock strap!

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
I don't want to keep Stajan and Engelland because they are quality veteran guys I want to keep them because they help the team with their play on the ice. I prefer young guys to play with steady vets like Engelland and Stajan because they do the little things right and allow the young guys to focus on their own game.

I find the off-ice stuff gets a little blown out of proportion. Obviously you don't want to go Edmonton style and have none but as you mention guys like Monahan, Backlund (yuck), Bouma, Brodie should be able to take over a lot of that with Gio and Frolik already in place.

so when do you pass the torch?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I started reading this and was hoping you'd make a sarcastic little dig and be like "We keep Stajan around so guys like Gaudreau and Monahan know the importance of winning... Even though Staj's only been to the playoffs once over the past decade" :laugh:

You let me down here man!

moon*

so when do you pass the torch?

I don't think there is a set time as obviously different guys/teams will need different amounts of time.

I would say as an outsider the Flames should be able to get by without Stajan and Engelland's "veteran leadership" after this season.

As much as I said I think it is overrated during a season like this I think having vets who have been through tough years is probably a good thing.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I started reading this and was hoping you'd make a sarcastic little dig and be like "We keep Stajan around so guys like Gaudreau and Monahan know the importance of winning... Even though Staj's only been to the playoffs once over the past decade" :laugh:

You let me down here man!

I thought I did with the practice thing. :(

moon*

I also remembering hearing from someone on PTS that it isn't just veteran's that is the key but often the 25-30 year old guys who are able to relate a lot more (and often a bigger part of the team) that is key more than the 30+ guys.

Obviously it helps to have both but an issue with the Oilers was they had the old guys (Smyth, Ference) but it was the 23-30 year old vets that they were missing and that played a key role in the lack of development for their young guys.

Not sure how accurate this is but an interesting idea about how just having a vet isn't necessarily enough.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I also remembering hearing from someone on PTS that it isn't just veteran's that is the key but often the 25-30 year old guys who are able to relate a lot more (and often a bigger part of the team) that is key more than the 30+ guys.

Obviously it helps to have both but an issue with the Oilers was they had the old guys (Smyth, Ference) but it was the 23-30 year old vets that they were missing and that played a key role in the lack of development for their young guys.

Not sure how accurate this is but an interesting idea about how just having a vet isn't necessarily enough.

Makes sense, hard to mentor someone if you can't relate to them. Similar to the Hamilton situation in Boston by the sounds of it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I thought I did with the practice thing. :(

That was good ;) ; but stepping up your game and making the dig at the folks who cry about trading vets because it creates a losing environment is on that next level ish.

It's like our vets outside of Hudler know anything about winning :laugh:

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
What do you guys think about a Wideman-Miller swap?

Cap hit increase isn't too much, we get a capable starter for next season.
Vancouver would be interested as Markstrom seems ready to take the reigns, and they need a PP QB.

Not sure if Wideman would waive to go to Vancouver, or if anyone would have to add. Thoughts?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Just putting it out there. I would really like to see Hudler resigned this summer after he is traded for picks next week. He's still producing well at even strength, and displays tremendous synergy with JG. His power play production has really dropped off compared to last year, but I think that may just be the system.

He's fairly durable, a quality vet (as far as we know), he's still on pace for 50 points, and he's still top 20 in the league in even strength pts/60.

The price has to be right though. Ideally I'd go for something like 4y/5m. You're not going to able to replace his production for less than that on the open market, and with his down year I think he might take a deal like that.

Vancouver would be interested as Markstrom seems ready to take the reigns, and they need a PP QB.

Not sure if Wideman would waive to go to Vancouver, or if anyone would have to add. Thoughts?

I'd do that any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Calgary would have to add quite a bit I think.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I really don't want that much money tied up in a goalie. To many other holes to shell out big time for a goalie. How many years does Miller have left?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That was good ;) ; but stepping up your game and making the dig at the folks who cry about trading vets because it creates a losing environment is on that next level ish.

It's like our vets outside of Hudler know anything about winning :laugh:

That's true. It's not like Stajan has been a part of any really successful teams in the NHL where he might have picked up something that could be relayed to the core. At least Bollig won a cup with the Hawks recently.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
I really don't want that much money tied up in a goalie. To many other holes to shell out big time for a goalie. How many years does Miller have left?

Only one more year left. Does he have a NTC/NMC?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I'd do it if it wasn't for the fact that there are several decent ufa vets that could be on the market this year (Ramo, Ward, Reimer, Khudobin) all who should be cheaper than Miller.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

I've advocated it a few times already, makes perfect sense to me.

Each player can only be traded for a similar bad contract.

Each has one year left.

Each player is playable and their teams makes better use of the cap space they take up.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Just putting it out there. I would really like to see Hudler resigned this summer after he is traded for picks next week. He's still producing well at even strength, and displays tremendous synergy with JG. His power play production has really dropped off compared to last year, but I think that may just be the system.

He's fairly durable, a quality vet (as far as we know), he's still on pace for 50 points, and he's still top 20 in the league in even strength pts/60.

The price has to be right though. Ideally I'd go for something like 4y/5m. You're not going to able to replace his production for less than that on the open market, and with his down year I think he might take a deal like that.

I'd do that any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Calgary would have to add quite a bit I think.

I don't think Miller would waive anyways. I really wouldn't be surprised to see him call it a career after next season and it was well documented that he wanted to go to the west coast when he was move from the Sabres. He has a NTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad