Armchair GM III

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If not the next Verhaeghe, there are some interesting names in the next summer's UFA crop.

Pavelski
Copp
Domi
Niederraiter
Nichushkin
R. Smith

Some good options to beef up the top-six. Looking for that power forward, goal-scoring type.
Niederraiter and nichishkin are on playoff bound teams that won’t be selling them. Smith might become a cap casualty should Eichel be scheduled to come back before the playoffs and would be a good pickup. Copp could be a good one as well and shouldn’t cost as much because he doesn’t have a long history of performing where he is now. Pavelski would be a dream but is gonna cost a lot for a 37 year old player

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We can afford somebody next season, but it won't be as easy the season after. Assuming we get Forsberg extended at a big price. In which case if we were going to sign anybody, I would be looking at veteran or show-me guys who might be willing to sign for just 1 Year... to play for a Contender (US!) and go for a Cup! :nod:

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Niederraiter and nichishkin are on playoff bound teams that won’t be selling them. Smith might become a cap casualty should Eichel be scheduled to come back before the playoffs and would be a good pickup. Copp could be a good one as well and shouldn’t cost as much because he doesn’t have a long history of performing where he is now. Pavelski would be a dream but is gonna cost a lot for a 37 year old player

For sure. Was just listing them as potential UFA targets for next summer.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Youd think Chara would be allowed to pick his destination and presumably the price wouldnt be that steep, like a 3rd at most. But the question is would he want to come here?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Chara is skating at 18 mins a game, PK at 1:39 a game. Less than a million for the rest of the yr.

Fact is, I'm feeling cynical and strangled by cabin fever. I thought the NHL "all-star hangover fest" could distract me, but then I saw the glazed eyes, the lack of care, the lack of care. Then I compared it to the NFL Pro Bowl...in Vegas the next day. Sweet Jesus is all I can say.

I have two wants for the team before the playoffs:

* A 3rd pairing LHD that can replace Boro. Fans love Boro. He's got all the traits of a fan favorite; Low-ish salary, scrappy, relatable story. But I'd be very cool with another LHD to improve the PK and eat mins. Statistically the PK could use a boost. (11th but I'd like it to be top 10). If it costs a 3rd for that player It might be an overpay for the Chara name but it's friggin' Chara.

* a 3rd line C/LW that can activate Cousins and Tomasino. The team offense is not top 10 but is climbing. I want a 4th line that could effectively eat playoff minutes. A Cousins clone would be quiet lovely.

I'm not talking about shopping the 1st. I'm talking the 2 3rds. Or the 2nd IF it's one stop shopping for both needs.

No, I do not think Novak or Glass or Harpur are the answer. I do not mind Myers as the RHD option. Playoffs get rough and the guy is a mountain on skates.

I'm thinking improvements for the playoffs.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
For this deadline would you guys consider Chara for 3rd LD?
Not really. I don't think we need to mess with the elements that are working right now. Borowiecki is working as a physical, team leader type of 3rd pairing LD. No need to mess with that and shunt Borowiecki to the sidelines in favor of a guy who isn't really much different at this stage in his career.

Unless Chara was able to play RD. Then I'd consider him over Benning.

But mostly I think Poile should be extremely stingy at the Trade Deadline. If Chara was practically free, or for that matter if other notable leader/depth guys at pretty much any position are practically free, then adding insurance depth for the playoffs can't hurt. Chara IS an upgrade on Harpur, even if he isn't an upgrade on Borowiecki. And likewise we might find some forward who is an upgrade on Luff/Smith/whoever seems to be next man up at F atm. For a 6th or 7th round pick, those sorts of insurance acquisitions can't really hurt us.

But mostly I don't think we're at the stage in the evolution of this team where really paying to load up for the playoffs is the right move. Let this core see what they can do in the trenches this year. Learn something. Progress. Then hopefully our team is even better next year and perhaps even entering Legitimate Contender status... that's when I'd be more interested in potential Trade Deadline acquisitions. Right now, guys are still earning their stripes. Let them earn. Don't disrupt the process by airlifting in replacements.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What would y’all think about going after giroux?
I don't think we need to give up a 1st and a good prospect for a rental player at this point. Let some other team swallow that pill.

Maybe in a couple years if we've made it the finals and haven't quite been able to take that final step and are that much closer to the end of the line for our core, maybe at that point it will be worth paying that kind of price for a desperation rental. But not yet. Let's keep building and stockpiling those prospects, while also having a fun and competitive team on the ice.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
What would y’all think about going after giroux?
If he can be extended at a reasonable cost short term contract and leave enough room for Forsberg then sure. He’s still near a point per game forward and shouldn’t fall off a cliff in the next two years. He’d upgrade the Joey line maybe bump Tolvanen down to go with tomasino and whoever centers that line

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Only d upgrade I think we need is a lhd to keep the pressbox warm and can come in should an injury occur. I like the current d pairs as is and don’t think it’s somewhere to really focus on

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Only d upgrade I think we need is a lhd to keep the pressbox warm and can come in should an injury occur. I like the current d pairs as is and don’t think it’s somewhere to really focus on

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
I would prefer Chara over Harpur, but I would not prefer him over Boro at this point. It would be weird for me to trade for a geriatric 7th Dman, but, if someone on the left side goes down long term for the rest of the season, Chara may be worth a look. That's really the only scenario that makes sense for Chara, IMO.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
If we trade for Chara it is pure depth and you assume he can rest up while waiting for his chance to come in due to injury. If that moment comes in the playoffs, you'd also assume he'd empty the tank for a chance to win/contend again.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I'd love Garland and it's hard to argue against his fit on this style of team. He's also a good age for this group. I'd like to know how much, but it's the type of hockey deal I think Poile would try for.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Garland is young and he has a few years left on his contract so this isn’t your usual deadline rental. I wonder what the price might look like here. I’ve seen what we have given up 1sts to get in the past so have a bad feeling this wouldn’t be even remotely cheap. Not an expert…

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Garland is young and he has a few years left on his contract so this isn’t your usual deadline rental. I wonder what the price might look like here. I’ve seen what we have given up 1sts to get in the past so have a bad feeling this wouldn’t be even remotely cheap. Not an expert…

would have to think if we were getting garland we’d be sending Tolvanen or Kunin the other direction. Garland is young and would take a 2nd line wing spot for years unless we saw him as a Forsberg replacement if Forsberg were to talk or be traded it wouldn’t make sense to have Tolvanen or Kunin slotted for 4th line duties

Reactions: LCPreds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad